Page 4 of 4 << < 1234
Author Messages
TD53
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Oct 2017 09:57 PM
Posted By jlncc1702e on 10 Oct 2017 11:41 AM 

As a heads up on Mid America, we have looked into it and it is under the domain of the Department of Homeland security. Homeland security would require that we send them a list of all attendees 30 days in advance of the event. Which means that we would have to close registration 30 days in advance and there would be no provision for walk-ups. Not a feasible option. The same is true for the large parking lot at Scott AFB where people tell me that we raced once upon a time.

I think Mid-America is very feasible if that's all we had to do. Solo Nationals registration essentially closes a month in advance and that's with 1300 people, using Motorsportreg just like we do. I would agree that it's not feasible for a standard local points event because it's too far of a departure from our normal routine. But a proper test n' tune, definitely. I'd pay $100 for a day on that surface, especially if it was two or three times a year.

For those of you who really want to experience driving on a great surface, do a national tour/prosolo/match tour. They are not nearly as serious business as it sounds and it's a great way to get to know some of the more hardcore competitors in the region. In a strange way, at least for me, it makes the flaws of FA and GMP more tolerable because I know I don't have to deal with them all the time. Granted this year I've taken that approach to the extreme.

flyguy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Oct 2017 10:24 PM
Two major issues with Mid-America:

1) The airport manager wants nothing to do with this as clearly stated to individual overtures from Sam Lee and myself. Sam's was in writing. He told me he was unwilling to take on the administrative workload to obtain approval from FAA,TSA and Homeland Security. I honestly don't blame him because it would be a huge undertaking.

2) Security issues - the concrete we want is within a military installation by virtue of sharing runways and taxiways with Scott AFB. I've been there and talked to them. Access to that area is only thru a guarded gate that is closed at all times and only opened when a valid ID is presented and immediately closed when an individual passes thru - this includes employees who work there everyday. They would never let us thru since we don't have IDs and couldn't get them if we tried.

Also,they sometimes use that area to park airplanes to include Illinois State Police and other government aircraft (not military). I think it us such a long (as in virtually impossible) that it doesn't warrant any further attempts. Just my honest assessment of the likelihood of gaining access.
Autolex

--
11 Oct 2017 11:16 AM

As long as we're spitballing here, does someone we know have connections with UPR? this is the largest peice of cement (outside of the former Wentzville plant) in the St. Louis area if my googling is correct.

toddbenne

--
11 Oct 2017 12:18 PM

Do you mean the former Ford plant in Hazelwood, not Wentzville? Hazelwood Ford has a quantity of concrete as well. Any of that usable and not in ruins from removing some of the buildings?

Lynn
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
11 Oct 2017 01:48 PM

The Union Pacific has been contacted about using the auto/rail facility. If you think dealing with the FAA is difficult, try dealing with a railroad. The only way to get on that property is if the railroads are replaced with teleportation.

toddbenne

--
11 Oct 2017 02:11 PM

UPS Customer Service center in Earth City?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...90.4649205

flyguy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
11 Oct 2017 03:41 PM
Looking at the pic above reminded me that I've also talked to St Louis Downtown Airport in the past about the ramp and taxiways east of the long runway. No go there as well since they have non-scheduled maintenance work there so availability is unpredictable. Some of the other smaller and lightly used airports have also been looked at in the past so it's not like we haven't pursued other options. Spirit of St Louis Airport has also been contacted in the past to no avail. All just FYI for those new to the issue.

sgreer78
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
11 Oct 2017 06:56 PM
Could we all save a bit of trouble and just quit?

If we had a more dedicated base, Blytheville is ~3 hours away and so much better than anything we could possibly (feasibly) get around here. In April when we went for a GAX event, I think 4 of us plus Dave and Sam were there...that's just ridiculous. But, I did burn through a set of tires and racked up well over 60 MILES of autocross that weekend.
flyguy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
11 Oct 2017 08:09 PM
I'm with Sean on this. I readily admit that I'm not actively looking for sites and haven't been for a couple years. And don't plan to start now. We have two decent,usable sites which is something many regions would kill for. Are there issues with them? Of course,but it's what we have available now and for the forseeable future. If you want concrete there is Blytheville,Peru and Lincoln within reasonable distance. Others are welcome to look for new sites and I hope you're successful.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner