91 DX conversion to Si to run STS
 1 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
hayden55

--
07 Dec 2017 04:46 PM

Back story: I purchased a pretty nice little 91 Civic Hatch in Red that I guess the motor locked up in and someone parked it on a farmers land for 5-10 years. Its mostly complete besides needing the mods for STS and some front end work, but the shell is pretty smooth and is definitely something I can work with. All in I bought this car for $180 plus towing it back. At that price I can't lose.
    On to the main point: Alright lets be real with this. Between the two models in the 90s there isn't a huge difference between them. A lot of the "options" were stuff that came standard, and the hard options like AC were "options" so I don't even have to fix them I just have to remove them and match the delete as standard. I now have the option to potentially purchase a new motor which is influencing the decision for the SI conversion. 
    The options on the SI over  standard: 
    1. Power sun roof/moon roof,                           I can pick up a nice takeout assembly and restore a headliner as I've done previously on my old civic.
    tachometer, -                                    

3. passenger door mirror,                 

4. color matched bumpers,                                                                                                            Body needs restored anyways. Smooth just paint is shot.
    5. dash clock,                                                                                                                                                                            ?
    6. larger exhaust,                                                                                                                                                                     Replaced in ST anyways
    7.  front and rear anti-roll bars,                                                                                                                                          Replaced in ST anyways
    8. 14" steel wheels with covers,                                                                                                                                         Replaced in ST anyways
    9. Slightly deeper bucket sport seats.                                                                                                                             Replaced in ST anyways
    10. There was no power steering and no automatic transmission available (except in Canada).         Mechanical will all be replaced.

So Basically the car needs to be restored and prepped for STS which fixes everything that needs to be changed and I add in a nice used factory power sunroof.
    Tell me why this isn't legal for sts asap before I pull the trigger on this motor.

ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Dec 2017 07:04 AM

It would end up costing you more in the end to do it and putting the factory si sunroof in would be next to impossible, and then the vin would still be for a dx. You could run that car as a dx legally though, engine and tranny of a dx . Take it from someone that got protested at nationals this year for a throttle stop from a different year,  the Honda folk are ridiculously stupid about shit. stay away. and don't drive fast either.

Ron Williams

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Mooresport Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner