Tire Choices for SM
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Z31Boss

--
21 Feb 2018 04:19 PM

Hey guys new member from the Milwaukee area!

Anyway, I will be running in the SM class this year. I realize that the go to tire is the A7. However, I would like something I can drive to and from the track without changing tires. I ran potenza RE-71Rs last year and loved them, but this year I've been looking at a few 100tw tires. Does anyone have experience with the Federal FZ-201 with autocross? I haven't really found much in regards to this tire and autox, also what kind of life do people see from a 100tw tire?

Thanks in advance!

twistedwankel

--
    21 Feb 2018 06:31 PM
    I haven't had any luck finding Federals in sizes to fit my wheels. 10.5"x18". Also not a lot of suppliers in any style. I hear they are a great tire for the money but good luck finding what you want.

However I've been running the Toyo R888R's now for about 7 months in FL on the street and 55 laps at airport concrete autocrosses. They are so far slightly outlasting my RE-71's I had on stock wheels. I expect to easily get over 100runs on them and probably 2500 road miles? I never take them off the car so they've seen highway use and a lot around town. I'm retired. A little noisy on a C5 with no insulation but now that they are down to 4/32" they are excellent all around sticky tire. They hook up well in cool temps too. Decent in the rain but I avoid puddles at speed like most treaded race tires. I cannot fault these tires. I'm the only guy out of 7 who's driving my car to the track and normally finish 3 or 4th in a stock car against various full race cars on Hoosiers. When it rains I kill them by 4 seconds.
    Z31Boss

--
    21 Feb 2018 09:12 PM
    This is awesome to hear, I know it's currently hard to find the federal's right now, but I was talking to a dealer who had a shipment of them coming over this week or early next. I'm also only looking for a 255 :P
    Z31Boss

--
    23 Feb 2018 01:28 PM

Posted By twistedwankel on 21 Feb 2018 06:31 PM
    I haven't had any luck finding Federals in sizes to fit my wheels. 10.5"x18". Also not a lot of suppliers in any style. I hear they are a great tire for the money but good luck finding what you want.

However I've been running the Toyo R888R's now for about 7 months in FL on the street and 55 laps at airport concrete autocrosses. They are so far slightly outlasting my RE-71's I had on stock wheels. I expect to easily get over 100runs on them and probably 2500 road miles? I never take them off the car so they've seen highway use and a lot around town. I'm retired. A little noisy on a C5 with no insulation but now that they are down to 4/32" they are excellent all around sticky tire. They hook up well in cool temps too. Decent in the rain but I avoid puddles at speed like most treaded race tires. I cannot fault these tires. I'm the only guy out of 7 who's driving my car to the track and normally finish 3 or 4th in a stock car against various full race cars on Hoosiers. When it rains I kill them by 4 seconds.

Would you say the Toyo offered more grip than the re71r?

twistedwankel

--
    23 Feb 2018 02:30 PM

In my opinion there is little difference between Toyo's 100 wear and RE71's 200 wear compounds.

It is impossible to compare these tires directly as my R888R's are 295/30/18" W 10.5" wide rims square different offsets from stock.  The RE71's are staggered 255/40/17 and 275/40/18"  on 8.5"F and 9.5"R stock wheels.  Night and day performance just based on footprints.  The R888R's stay cooler and are super consistent here in FL.

The RE71's are better in the rain due to the enhanced tread pattern and narrower.  The R888R's are more like a rain slick that even with limited camber I cannot get to understeer at autocross speeds even when cool.  Many times my first run stays the fastest out of only 3.  When 4 or more runs the latter are always much faster for a variety of reasons mostly brain related.

So it comes down to availability of sizes.  Most 200 wear tires stop at 275mm in 18" except for the 285 RS4 legal for STU. (I'm running RS4's on my RX8 255/40/17" square on 9x17" wheels in STX - excellent in heat and rain - reasonably priced).

I can fit an R888 in 305/35/18 on my 10.5" rims but they aren't legal for STU as 100 wear and over 285mm.  So running in Prepared is legal but running a stock car with sorta gummy tires puts you mid pack at best.  For the same money I'll try the 305's next season:)  No more Lincoln trips for me.  I quit at Topeka.  Just in it for the fun and friends anymore.

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Feb 2018 08:37 PM
    R888 need heat to work, as do most track-compound tires; they may not work as well in Milwaukee than in Florida. One nice thing about RE-71R is that they don't need much heat for great grip.
    Z31Boss

--
    27 Feb 2018 10:58 AM
    Posted By sjfehr on 26 Feb 2018 08:37 PM
    R888 need heat to work, as do most track-compound tires; they may not work as well in Milwaukee than in Florida. One nice thing about RE-71R is that they don't need much heat for great grip.

Yeah, especially with half the season in spring and fall, the temps can drop to less than desirable conditions

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Mooresport Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner