Last Post 22 Feb 2018 06:22 PM by  Dr.Chris
Wheel question for 2011 WRX
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
22 Feb 2018 12:16 PM

So I understand that you have to use the stock size wheel +/- 1" in diameter within +/-7mm offset.  I found a wheel that is stock size, but -8mm (+45 instead of the stock +53) and I found one that is the same diameter but is 7.5" wide when the stock wheel is 8" wide.  Are both wheels illegal? I'm only considering the 17x7.5" because they are 3 pounds lighter per wheel and $150 cheaper than the 17x8" that I am looking at. Should I just keep looking? I only plan on racing local events. If I ever race at a national event I would consider buying proper wheels that go with the class better, but can't afford to go all out right now for my local events.

Thanks!

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
    22 Feb 2018 05:57 PM

You are correct, neither wheel is legal for Street class. You could potentially machine 1mm off the -8mm set and use them.  Or check locally and see if anyone cares; 1mm could get you protested, but would be a pretty weeny regional protest.

--
    22 Feb 2018 06:22 PM
    Posted By sjfehr on 22 Feb 2018 05:57 PM

You could potentially machine 1mm off the -8mm set and use them. 

When it comes time to be competitive, I think this is what I'll do.  I was thinking about that recently.  I heard there are a few quality wheel repair shops here in Denver, and I bet one of them could do it.  Thanks!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Mooresport Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner