Question regarding street classes and staggered wheels
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DierwulfBL

--
26 Apr 2018 05:02 PM
    While reading the rule book regarding stock class vehicles I have come up with a question that is not answered even slightly in the rule book. Here is the passage for reference:

13.4 WHEELS Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than ±7.00 mm (±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed. B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles. Wheel spacers are permitted provided the resultant combination complies with the offset requirements of this Section. On vehicles supplied with an OE wheel spacer, the wheel spacer shall be considered as a part of the wheel. Wheel studs, lug nuts, valve stems (including pressure-relief types), and/or bolt length may be changed. Wheel bolts may be replaced with studs and nuts but the number of fasteners may not be changed. Tire pressure monitoring sensors may be removed. Centerlock/Spline Drive/Knock-off type hubs may be converted to lug type hubs provided the resultant combination complies with the offset requirements of this Section. 

Absolutely nowhere in this paragraph is there a single mention of where the wheel is located on the car.  As you know, many cars come with staggered wheels from the factory, and one could easily use 4x OEM rear wheels to gain a wheel width advantage. OEM rear wheels would meet the offset requirement and diameter requirement, obviously as they are OEM. According to my reading of this passage, this is 100% legal and I would expect to see it a lot. However, I have never seen anyone running a square setup on their OEM staggered cars at the local level and one person even claimed they thought that you cannot, even though it is not explicitly stated in the rule book.  My question is, is it legal to run 4x OEM rear wheels on an OEM staggered car?
    GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Apr 2018 11:31 PM

Under 13.0, the definition for the class:

Except for modifications authorized below, Street Category cars must be run as specified by the manufacturer with only standard equipment as defined by these Rules. This requirement refers not just to individual parts, but to combinations thereof which would have been ordered together on a specific car. Any other modifications or equipment will place the car in Street Tour- ing®, Street Prepared, Street Modified, Prepared, or Modified Categories as appropriate. Configurations involving damaged parts (e.g., blown fuses) are not typically authorized by the manufacturer and hence are not allowed.

DierwulfBL

--
    30 Apr 2018 09:10 AM

Exactly, Nowhere here does it mention anything about placement of wheels on the car here either.   Seeing how 4x rear wheels are indeed standard equipment and nothing is modified about the wheels(100% OEM wheels for instance), I am assuming this is still OK? 

Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Apr 2018 05:48 PM
    It is the same width as standard and as installed
    seems to me to address the stagger issue. Even if it didn't, there is no allowance to run a square setup on a car that is staggered from the factory. The mindset for street class rules is straightforward -- if it doesn't say you can, then you can't.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Mooresport Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner