Negative camber vs tire width
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Alb43

--
18 May 2018 02:50 PM
    Wanted to see if anyone has come accrossed an article or know about these parameters compared. If I have to choose between the two and wonder which could provide more benefit.
    ​​​​​​
    Would it benefit the front end grip more to increase the front camber from -1 to -2 or increase tire width from 225 to 245 if you could only do one or the other?

Both will increase contact patch in the corner but I wonder which will be more impactfull and what is the equivalence? How much tire width would equal negative camber addition?
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 May 2018 08:39 AM
    Depends on the car. Stiff dedicated racecar with good suspension and camber control would possibly be faster with a wider tire versus more camber. Of course, that kind of car would have both.

For softer stock type cars, in autocross, more camber is better for most cars. THere are probably exceptions...back in the Type R and Miata days with Hoosiers, they are relatively camber limited and found success with crazy wide tires on narrow wheels.

Everything in suspension is a compromise.

HTH,

DaveW
    Alb43

--
    20 May 2018 07:08 AM
    Ok thanks. It's for my daily that I autocross. I have very limited space in the front wheel well to go much wider so was wondering if I should increase the width a little bit or the neg camber. I didn't think I had the space to do both with limited investment. I think just increasing the camber is the way to go then.
    Grintch

--
    29 Nov 2018 10:01 PM
    Making the tire happy is the most important.

But there are also different ways to add camber, and some of them might actually increase tire clearance.
    rjohnson999

--
    05 Dec 2018 02:25 PM

Be careful adding camber to a daily driver.  It will feel great but at the cost of uneven tire wear.  You'd get most of the benefit of more camber without street wear if you could increase castor.  It gains camber off center steering but otherwise doesn't affect uneven wear as much.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank