1990 Eagle Talon - Street Mod - Spoiler
 0 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

AjHawk

--
12 Jul 2018 04:50 PM

Hey guys and gals, I have a 1990 Eagle Talon that I run in Street Modified. The car came equipped with a factory spoiler, of sorts. I want to add a true rear wing for some downforce, but with the way I'm interpreting the rules, I cannot install one without first removing the stock one for the reason that I will be over the 8 sq ft of total surface area.

My question pertains to a rules clarification. I would like to add the rear wing on top of what I have, as the stock spoiler wraps up the side of the car and across the doors. It would require a lot of sanding and color paint matching to make it look right after removal. I also have a plastic spoiler of some kind on the rear hatch/roof area that came with the car when I bought it, how would that fit into the mix? Has anyone had experience with this topic? If so, whats the official ruling on it. Thank you in advance.

I'm adding the text from the Solo rule book and a picture of the car for reference.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Street Modified // Aerodynamic Aids: Wings may be added, removed, or modified. Non-OE wings may only be attached to the rear deck/hatch area behind the center- line of the rear axle. The total combined surface area of all wings shall not exceed 8 sq. ft. (0.7432 m2 ) as calculated per the Wing Area Computation in Section 12. The number of wing elements is limited to two (2). Wings, and any component thereof, may not extend beyond the vehicle width, as defined by the outermost portion of the vehicle doors, less mir- 2018 SCCA® National Solo® Rules— 97 16. Street Modified rors, door handles, rub strips, and trim. In addition, no portion of the wing or its components may be more than 6.0” forward of the rear axle, more than 0.0” beyond the rear most portion of the bodywork, or more than 6.0” above the roofline of the vehicle, regardless of body style. For convertibles and roadsters, the highest portion of the windshield frame will be consid- ered the highest portion of the roof; however, a convertible or roadster uti- lizing a hardtop will use the highest portion of the hardtop as the roofline. Reinforcements to the wing mounting area may be used, but may serve no other purpose. Body panels to which a wing mounts must remain functional (e.g., trunk lids and rear hatches must open). Wing endplate surface area is limited to 200 sq. in. (1290.3 cm2 ) each and limited to a maximum of two (2). Except for standard parts, wings designed to be adjustable while the car is in motion must be locked in a single position. Canards are allowed and may extend a maximum of 6.0” (152.4 mm) forward of front bodywork as viewed from above. No portion of the canard may extend past the widest part of the front bodywork/fascia as viewed from above. Canard area will be measured in the same manner as wings using Section 12. Canard area may not exceed 15% of total wing allowance. The sum of canard area and rear wing area may not exceed the total wing allowance.

Attachments
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank