SPS 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 04 Sep 2018 08:10 AM by  J.Bass
Looking to autocross and full of questions! Class, etc.
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
27 Jul 2018 03:55 PM
    Hello all!

I’m looking to get into autocross and I need to know what class my car fits into.

I have a 1991 Honda CRX Si. Registered and inspected in Texas.

The car is swapped with a B16a SirII motor with Civic type R cams. Integra GSR hydro trans. Reprogrammed ECM.

Intake and full exhaust are 100% aftermarket performance stuff.

Suspension includes an aftermarket rear sway bar, neuspeed springs, and koni non adjustable struts. Adjustable camber parts have been added front and rear.

Wheels are 1” wider and 1” taller at all four corners.

Body and interior are currently stock.

Now on to the fun stuff.. I am 6’4” tall and I flat out don’t fit in the car with a helmet on.

Can I remove the power sunroof mechanism and plug the hole? That would give me additional helmet clearance.

Can I install an aftermarket seat? I’m thinking along the lines of a Kirkey Aluminum seat. Can I use that seat with stock safety belts?

I believe I will need to do both to get good helmet clearance.

Thanks!

--
    04 Aug 2018 09:20 PM
    the engine swap sends you straight to Street Mod FWD (SMF).
    and I'm pretty sure all the other mods you have made/contemplate making
    are legal in SMF.

--
    03 Sep 2018 03:42 PM
    @Phyregod, in terms of the seat and seat belts, you'll want to be careful combining stock 3-point belts with an aftermarket race "bucket" seat. A race seat like the Kirkey has lap belt holes that the lap belt, whether 3-point or 5/6-point must be routed through. You cannot put the lap belt across the top of such a seat, so you've got what I would say are three options:

1) Use the stock 3-point belt, but route it from the top of the B pillar through the inside of the seat and back out to the bottom of the B pillar. Then you need to somehow figure out how to latch it to the receptacle, which I would highly highly recommend you have outside of the seat. If the receptacle is inside the seat, that's a major pressure point in a crash and it's probably uncomfortable and cumbersome anyway.

2) Run 3 point and 5/6-point belts concurrently. I do this. It's really no issue when I'm driving on the street and the camlock is between my legs.

3) Get a seat like the Tillett B5 (https://www.torqued.io/tillett-b5-r...-car-seat) that has a good amount of bolstering and is used by many track day / auto-x drivers, yet is compatible with 3-point stock belts because it doesn't have lap belt holes. Bonus is that you can still run this seat with a 5/6-point belt should you ever choose to upgrade.

Hope that helps in making a seat choice...

--
    04 Sep 2018 08:10 AM

Thanks for the replies!  I'm now running in SMF and have one event under my belt.  I'll check out that seat!  

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Mooresport Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner