Last Post 02 Sep 2018 03:21 PM by  J.Bass
Help me straighten out my brain! CRX wheel/tire advise
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
01 Sep 2018 07:57 PM

My brain is officially fried.  I'm new to the SCCA and Auto-X.  My first event was super fun!  But my all season tires are clearly a weak link.  I am currently running SMF in a Honda CRX due to my engine swap.  I've been eyeballs deep in the rule book ever since.

Things I am considering..  

I'd like to move to STS as I feel the car would be more competitive there.  I'd have to swap my motor back to stock.

or..  I could stay in SMF and go for the gusto with a supercharger and throw my wallet at it.  (which would end up empty, I'm not loaded.)

But right now..  I'm looking at wheels and tires.  I currently run a ~10 pound 6.5" wheel with all season tires.  The clear move (to me) staying in SMF would be to get some crazy 15x9 wheels wrapped in hoosier A7 tires.  I'd have to cut my fenders.

But if I switch to STS next year, I would be wiser to buy a 7.5" wheel and Re-71Rs now.  I don't want to drop all kinds of $ on wheels and tires to let them collect dust next year.

Assuming I stick with the STS plan, and a 7.5" wheel, would I be better off with a 195/50-15 or a 205/50-15?  Am I being too picky and splitting hairs here?  Does that extra 10mm amount to any time at all on the course?

I also found a 7" wheel that is 2 pounds lighter per corner.  I assume +2 pounds of unsprung weight is worth the extra 1/2" wheel width.  Or am I crazy?

Finally..  going for ballpark guesses here..   Lets call it a 60 second course.  What would be the time difference between say a 245/40-15 hoosier A7 and a 205/50-15 Re-71R?

--
    02 Sep 2018 02:34 PM

"My brain is officially fried.  I'm new to the SCCA and Auto-X.  My first event was super fun!  But my all season tires are clearly a weak link.  I am currently running SMF in a Honda CRX due to my engine swap.  I've been eyeballs deep in the rule book ever since"

The weakest link is your lack of autocrossing seat time and some free instruction at local events.  Talk to your competitors and get their input.  Ride with them and have instructors ride with you and even drive your car as is with you in it 8/10's.  You will be amazed how fast a CRX is without spending any money other than a decent wheel alignment.  If you race every weekend for a couple seasons you might learn just how much speed is in an AS tire that you can drive daily forever.  It doesn't matter what class you are in initially to see your times improve.  Ask if the local group has a Novice class for the first 5 events "N" all run together.  Mandatory course walk with experienced driver.  Some ride alongs help a lot.

Yep tires are a very big deal along with great shocks and a competition alignment.  They can hide your lack of ability so you will learn absolutely nothing about skillful driving.  Even if you are a "natural" it will take you a few full seasons to be competitive with most clubs "experts".  Keep having fun and spend all your money on entrance fees and the gas to get there.  Welcome to the SCCA friendly club of America.

--
    02 Sep 2018 03:21 PM

Thanks for the reply!  I'm going to say my number one is tires, and number two is lack of experience.  Could be the other way around.  The tires I'm on right now are two year old 540 treadwear all seasons that are slightly softer than stone.  Zero grip in the corners,  just nice smooth slides.  The car does have a decent suspension on it and is set up fairly well.  Aligned to factory specs so I could do some adjustment there.  I joined mid-late season and I am running in novice currently.  I am hitching rides with the friendly folks in the Texas region.  Even got to ride with a national champ!  That was a slap in the face as to how much I have to learn about driving.  He pulled a 41 second lap with me (210 pound fella) in his car.  My best was a 49.4.  I know I have lots to learn and am eager!  But my tires really are flat out awful.   I'd love for a veteran to take my car for a lap or two to see where I'm really at skill wise.  I'll see if I can get that done at the next meet.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Mooresport Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner