More Class RV/Motorhome towing questions
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bjo

--
02 Jun 2010 01:59 PM

My inlaws have 94 27ft class C coachmen RV (ford e350 based) with the Ford 460 V8 and E40D trans which I am debating to use as a tow vehicle. It has low miles (33k) and has had regular maintenance done to it. I'm the main driver/mechanic of it was well.

We have taken a short 400 mile round trip with it and it was interesting driving it. 65 is about the fastest I can go to balance fuel mileage and vehicle stability.

I have already changed out the worn shocks, steering stabilizer, bled the brakes, and changed the oil. The microlite 4000 Generator was good until the fuel pump crapped out. I also just upgraded the hitch to a class 3 unit.

I was thinking of towing a uhaul open trailer with my m3 on it to track events within 200 miles. Being in TX there are no real steep grades and mostly flat ground. I'm not looking to go too far since gas mileage is single digits. Has anyone done this with their RV? Am I going to be too overloaded? I have not done the frame reinforcements like what mwood has done but the hitch is upgraded. Checking the rails it has a sleeve welded around the frame extensions so it looks strong. Coachmen specs the unit for 3500 lb towing ,but it can do 5000 with some reinforcements. I will be around 5100-5200lbs on the trailer.

I have searched a few posts and people have towed with similar sized RV's but they did not mention that they reinforced their frame rails or not. Thanks for any info.

darbyfam

--
    03 Jun 2010 11:49 AM

I have a 32ft Class C coach (Ford E450 based) with the V10. I utilize it fairly extensively for towing my Miata and 18ft Ultralite trailer (total trailer weight at about 4K). I get 7-9 MPG (depending on grade) and have not had an issue at all with it.

I would be reluctant to utilize the E350 with over 5K pounds personally. I would be most concerned with the ability of the coach to stop with that much weight behind it and a full weekend's provisions in it.

phile

--
    03 Jun 2010 02:32 PM

I towed 6000 miles last October with a Coachman 31.5-foot, E-350, V-10. Over the rockies and all.

Trailer was a Pace 20-foot enclosed bearing a stock TR4. Estimate 5500 pounds.

The biggest problem is the motorhome overhang. Vehicle stability? Nope. There is no aero drag on the trailer. Usaully can't do more than 50 MPH without getting an uneasy feeling. Find a ToterHome with a short tail.

Averaged 7 MPG.

Tow the same trailer with a heavier car (Stag) behind my 3/4-ton 8.1 Suburban. Truck knows the trailer is there, but it doesn't care. Solid, straight, stable. Mileage only a little better, but I'm towing the speed limit, 65 or 70 with no problems.

dhardison

--
    04 Jun 2010 06:43 AM
    I have a 1992 32' Four Winds (Class C, E350 chassis, 460cid). I installed a class III/IV hitch, strenghtened the rear frame extension joints, use a weight distribution hitch and have installed air/helper bags in the rear. I pull a 24' Pace enclosed and when loaded is 6500-7000lbs. It pulls like a dream (running 70-75mph is no problem), is very stable (the rear air bags helped a TON), stops well and gets 7-9mpg.
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Jun 2010 12:32 PM
    darbyfam wrote:

I have a 32ft Class C coach (Ford E450 based) with the V10. I utilize it fairly extensively for towing my Miata and 18ft Ultralite trailer (total trailer weight at about 4K). I get 7-9 MPG (depending on grade) and have not had an issue at all with it.

I would be reluctant to utilize the E350 with over 5K pounds personally. I would be most concerned with the ability of the coach to stop with that much weight behind it and a full weekend's provisions in it.

That's what trailer brakes are for :)
    darbyfam

--
    04 Jun 2010 07:46 PM
    I have 4-wheel trailer brakes. It's still allot of weight to stop.
    Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Jun 2010 05:06 AM

You can NEVER have too much brake.

I agree with Darbyfam trailer brakes are not even negotiable. I drive a 35 ft Diesel Pusher on a frieghtliner chassis pulling 10K wirth of trailer. We have superior brakes but wouldn't mind a little more.when a Prius jumps in front and then runs on batteries[:|]

bjo

--
    05 Jun 2010 05:20 PM
    phile wrote:

I towed 6000 miles last October with a Coachman 31.5-foot, E-350, V-10. Over the rockies and all.

Trailer was a Pace 20-foot enclosed bearing a stock TR4. Estimate 5500 pounds.

The biggest problem is the motorhome overhang. Vehicle stability? Nope. There is no aero drag on the trailer. Usaully can't do more than 50 MPH without getting an uneasy feeling. Find a ToterHome with a short tail.

Averaged 7 MPG.

Tow the same trailer with a heavier car (Stag) behind my 3/4-ton 8.1 Suburban. Truck knows the trailer is there, but it doesn't care. Solid, straight, stable. Mileage only a little better, but I'm towing the speed limit, 65 or 70 with no problems.

Phile, DId you reinforce your frame rails?

DHardison, thanks for the reply. Glad to hear from someone with a similar setup. I plan on reinforcing the frame rails on my rig.

Also I forgot to add I do have rear airbags, Im hoping they will at least make it more stable.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner