Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
toy4speed
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 Jun 2010 07:43 AM

Hi All, I'm shopping for one of those retractable awnings that can mount on the side of my 20ft enclosed car trailer. Nothing too fancy, just tired of breaking ez-up canopies every few years (wind, etc). Bunch of RV type websites available, so anyone have a good recommendation on a source? Good experiences, tips on install? Pros and cons? It would stay mounted on the trailer year round, not sure how long that awning fabric would last, maybe a strap on cover for it? Thanks for any help. They look so much nicer than the pop up canopies and seem like maybe easier for one person to crank out.

wrchas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Jun 2010 03:29 PM
    Whatever you do, never remove the feet from the bottom of the trailer unless you lock them down on the ground somehow. I had one on my trailer at one time. I found the awning on top of my trailer after I got back from a work assignment - and this was a calm day as well. Every part of the awning was either bent or torn. Nothing was salvageable. It certainly was nice while I had it.
    tnd2

--
    08 Jun 2010 07:15 PM

Im looking for one for our 20 footer too. So far since ours is a standard height trailer(cant open the side door if the canopy is up), and the side door swings open past the front of the trailer(the forward leg needs to be to the rear of the door so the door can open fully), it looks like the max width will be 16ft. The only major thing I have been told by campers is to make sure and get the canopy that has the metal on the tarp near the trailer, that way when the thing is rolled up the metal protects the fabric for storage.

Hard to describe, but thats all ive got so far.

snookwheel

--
    09 Jun 2010 04:35 AM

We put one on our 24' enclosed trailer. You will love it. I bought it from these guys: http://www.rvworkshop.com/motorhome...nings.html Great service from them. A part was bent upon arrival and they shipped a replacement the next day. We have intense sun and torrential downpours in the summer here. The awning is a life saver.

SCCAForums Image

Scott

tnd2

--
    09 Jun 2010 06:33 AM

Do you have any close up shots of the mounting points? Just wondering how you secured it, and if there was anything you'd do different a second time around?

Thanks for the link.

toy4speed
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Jun 2010 05:19 PM

Hey Snookwheel, that's pretty much what I'm looking for! No legs on the ground, looks like maybe 4 mounting points on the trailer side? Seems pretty stable in moderate wind? I'll check out the link. Thanks!

snookwheel

--
    09 Jun 2010 05:36 PM

The lower legs do detach from the trailer. But as already mentioned, you should weight the legs down or you could end up with 'wrapped over the trailer top' syndrome. The awning is very stable. I use de-flapper clampshttp://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pr...2/pid/2870 if the wind kicks up. If it kicks up too much, just roll it up.

Here's some pictures of the arm attachment points. The awning material slides into a grooved piece that you attach across the top of the trailer.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner