Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Aug 2010 06:16 AM

fyrballmt wrote:
Just some info. RVer's hate trailer tires and most have started useing a load range E LT tire. At least in the 16 inch size. They are useing the LT 235/85-16. Not sure if the same can be said about the 15inch sizes. I am useing LT235/75-15's on my open trailer because that is what the guys that do many miles of towing a year recomended. ST is a dirty word to most RVer's.

I would agree that ST=junk, but I have never been able to find enough weight rating in a 15" to equal the ST. A 235-75-15XL only has #2135 capacity, a 225-75-15 Load Range D is 2560. I'd guess that any enclosed trailer over 20' with a car in it weighs more than 8000# so you'd be running the LT tires at 95%+ of capacity.

The 16" Load Range E is a good idea too, if it will fit under your trailer. I have always wanted to do that to mine, but the extra diameter doesn't really fit.

DaveW

Bullitt2954
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
05 Aug 2010 03:56 PM
47CP wrote:
The 16" Load Range E is a good idea too, if it will fit under your trailer. I have always wanted to do that to mine, but the extra diameter doesn't really fit.

DaveW

Nothin' a Sawzall and a hammer won't fix, Dave!

Kurtco

--
08 Aug 2010 09:13 AM

From what I remember reading on the Goodyear site was trailer (ST) tires are rated at 65mph. The LT 16"E range truck tire has a 110 mph rating with 3050 lbs. as all car/truck tires i believe. I have used the truck tire for about 6 years.

Kurt J

CP 182

atcovan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
08 Aug 2010 04:13 PM
Bullitt2954 wrote:
47CP wrote:

DaveW

Nothin' a Sawzall and a hammer won't fix, Dave!

Racecar fender flares!
fyrballmt
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 Aug 2010 08:10 PM
Another option allthough limited are the 14.5 inch trailerhouse tires. I saw a website that had them on rims I think its trailertires.com. The rims where limited to to the trailer house type rims or I also saw 6 lug and 8 lug but no 5 lug. The load rating was over 3000lbs. They are also reasonably priced.
boxboy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Aug 2010 04:14 PM

Phillip S. Osborne wrote:
Trailers stored inside are not as suceptable to dry rot, and will generally last longer. I just purchased a new Featherlite 17.5' deck, with 205 75 15 tires and 3500lb axles. Tires are HI RUN....anyone ever heard of those?

Hi Phil, I ran some 235/85 16 G rated Hi Run tires on our trailer for awhile. Did not last long, 2 years tops. I also have learned to pay more attention to the load rating in lbs (not just the letter), as they can vary widely. For example, I have load range F on the trailer now (Carlisle) that are rated at 39xxlbs per tire, and some of the G rated tires I just got rid of were 35xx.

-Andy M.

hzl6cm

--
17 Aug 2010 11:12 AM

Also, if you are sharing a spare with more than one trailer, make sure the bolt patterns on the wheels are the same. There is more than one 15-inch 5 lug bolt pattern out there, even with identical tires mounted on the wheels, as I discovered on a recent Sunday afternoon while hauling a 30-foot travel trailer across South Dakota. We were 400 miles in to an 800 mile drive heading back home when it happened. I was using two of my car hauler tires and rims as spares (I figured I would really be prepared with 2), I had blown out a tire last year and figured on replacing all four tires before next summer. I had been checking tire pressure each time I stopped and had just checked it 30 miles earlier, it blew and destroyed the side of the trailer before I could get stopped (no I don't think it was a stone bruise since it was the rear tire - though I had been going 75 mph all day). I whipped out my aluminum racing jack and star type lug wrench from the trailer compartment and figured no problem - until I couldn't get the rim of the spare to mount on the studs - the bolt pattern on the rim was a little too big. Unfortunately, in rural SD on a Sunday afternoon, nobody, including the RV dealer with the big US flag out in front of his building right by where I stopped, was open to mount the tire from my spare rim on to the trailer rim. Plus I had just discovered that morning that the trailer battery was bad and I had to keep the Suburban hooked to the trailer to keep the fridge running (with instructions to my wife to start it every 15 minutes so the trailer battery didn't draw down the truck battery. Luckily my daughter was following me so I took her car, with the tires, and left my wife, both kids and both dogs while I drove back in to Sioux Falls where I was able to find a Wal-Mart and buy a new Goodyear tire (don't know if it was a made in the USA one or not) and get it mounted. Luckily we didn't have any flats in the next 400 miles since we still didn't have a spare and it was too late for anything to be open then at all. I did notice that the Goodyear tire was running cooler than the Maxxis tires that were on there (lower pressure increase). Once I got home I figured out that my car hauler has a 5 x 5 bolt pattern and both the travel trailer and my wife's small cargo trailer have 5 x 4.5 bolt patterns. This has been an accident that has been waiting to happen for a long time since I have been using the travel trailer spare for a spare on my car hauler ever since I bought it, 6 years or so ago, and have pulled it all over the country!

One question I had was what about running 225/75 15 C range tires on the rims in place of the 205/75 15 C range tires that came with the trailer since they have a higher weight rating.

Joe_914
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
18 Aug 2010 06:50 AM
Turns out a 225 won't fit under the fender. Too tall. So we are stuck with 205 load range C. 4 new tires and heading to Lincoln in a couple weeks with 2 spares.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner