You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 4512345 > >>
Author Messages
loosecannon
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
28 Aug 2010 05:50 AM

Some background: 26 years ago, my dad gave me a low km 5.3 litre Jag V12 to do whatever I wanted with it. Many ideas have been considered, such as a replica 1962 F1 racecar or a Rat Rod but after going to the SCCA Nationals and seeing the crazy crations in E-Mod, I found my project. I am stuffing it into a 1967 MGB-GT using the MGB front suspension and an AE86 rear end with 4 link/panhard. An MGB-GT weighs 2100 lbs as delivered and the V12 and T56 trans weigh approximately 216 lbs more than the MGB engine/trans. With a gutted interior, no glass and extreme attention paid to weight, I'm hoping for a car in the 1850 lb region. The engine makes somewhere between 274 and 312 hp, depending where you look. I know I could make more hp with less weight with an LS1 but there's something really cool about V12's and a British engine in a British car has charm as well.

SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image

Front suspension removed
    SCCAForums Image
    Here's the engine and yes, it will fit
    SCCAForums Image

loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Aug 2010 06:26 AM
    Sorry about the picture quality-most are taken with an iphone. In this pic, the arrow on the fender marks the front axle centerline, so you can see that it lines up with the front two cylinders, leaving 10 cylinders BEHIND the front axle-should make for good weight balance ;)
    SCCAForums Image
    The engine is close to the firewall but there is still room to work on it and even take the cam covers off.
    SCCAForums Image
    And there is still plenty of room for pedals inside the car.
    SCCAForums Image
    loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Aug 2010 06:29 AM
    custom aluminum bellhousing from a company in Florida that races V12 Jags with T5 or Tremec transmissions. [url]www.5speeds.com[/url]
    SCCAForums Image
    loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Aug 2010 06:31 AM

I built the frame rails and notched them for the front crossmember-an unbelievable amount of work with a grinder and welder. Here's one frame rail right after I sliced it:
    SCCAForums Image

And after I welded it up and put it in the car:
    SCCAForums Image

The frame rail extends back and replaces the very rusty box section which forms part of the MGB frame structure.
    SCCAForums Image

loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Aug 2010 06:32 AM
    The frame rails are welded in:
    SCCAForums Image
    lowside67
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Aug 2010 06:39 AM

Very nice!

Check this build out: http://www.solobc.com/phpBB3/viewto...0&t=27

This guy and his partner hold the door slammer records at our BC hillclimb, the Knox Mountain Hillclimb. The car is really a work of art and might serve to give you some ideas for yours.

Cheers,

Mark

amaff
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Aug 2010 08:13 AM
    Really cool build, I look forward to watching this progress :)
    loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Aug 2010 07:31 PM

Added a roll hoop and parallel bars-lots of measuring, bending, cutting, trimming, measuring, notching, measuring, fitting, notching, welding went on-but it looks great.

SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image

IanF
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Aug 2010 01:34 PM

Very cool! One question, tho... is there any reason to use the MG front suspension and not a more custom dbl a-arm, coil-over set-up?

loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Aug 2010 03:41 PM
    IanF wrote:

Very cool! One question, tho... is there any reason to use the MG front suspension and not a more custom dbl a-arm, coil-over set-up?

Funny you should ask that. I had another double a-arm suspension all ready to go but an experienced racer and Mod builder pointed out that the brakes were too big to fit inside the desireable 13" wheels and that the MGB suspension is actually pretty good once the necessary changes are made. What are those changes? The lever shocks and upper control arms are ditched for coilovers and adjustable arms. It looks antiquated now but once I start on the front suspension, it will look more racey.

amaff
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Aug 2010 08:05 PM
    loosecannon wrote:
    IanF wrote:

I had another double a-arm suspension all ready to go but an experienced racer and Mod builder pointed out that the brakes were too big to fit inside the desireable 13" wheels

It's a Mod car... put smaller brakes on it.

loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 Aug 2010 11:25 AM

Ran into my first big hurdle, the exhaust exits right onto the frame rail. There's plenty of room for headers so I'm not worried, it just there's one more big project before I can start the car.
    SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image

loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Sep 2010 11:51 AM
    I decided to move the engine back another 6" so now I don't have to move the steering rack, the stock exhaust will work and the upper tubes going to the front frame are straight and at a decent angle, making it much stronger. So now the whole engine (except the crank pulley) is behind the front axle.
    SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image
    loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Sep 2010 09:07 PM
    I welded the top bars in but there's still a suprising amount of flex in the front end-I put a big bar on the front and tried to twist it-it flexed a little more than I like so more tubes will need to be welded in.
    SCCAForums Image
    I notched the front crossmember in order to drop the motor as far as possible:
    SCCAForums Image
    loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Sep 2010 10:18 AM

Sometimes it's easier to cut away all the old stuff and start fresh, thank goodness for plasma cutters ;)

SCCAForums Image
    SCCAForums Image

The pile of metal I cut out today
    SCCAForums Image

loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Sep 2010 04:39 PM
    Driving to SCCA Nationals this weekend so today I put in extra effort to get things done on the MGB. I got the rear supports, diagonal brace and rear suspension mounting points done. Look carefully and you see that I have an extra wide transmission tunnel to allow the driveshaft and dual exhaust to pass through to the back, allowing for a flat floor:
    SCCAForums Image
    And some braces on the front:
    SCCAForums Image
    And put the engine, trans and racing seat in to get an idea of how it will all work. The seat will actually be more upright and the tranny moved forward an inch from what you see in the picture. The shifter will be in a pretty good position:
    SCCAForums Image
    IanF
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Sep 2010 09:11 PM
    Good job on progress! Of course, now I'm cursing you a bit... as this thread gives me delusional ideas of what to do with the crusty 1800ES in my back yard. So I'm now off to go dig through the E Mod rules...
    loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Sep 2010 06:05 PM

IanF wrote:
    Good job on progress! Of course, now I'm cursing you a bit... as this thread gives me delusional ideas of what to do with the crusty 1800ES in my back yard. So I'm now off to go dig through the E Mod rules...

Honestly, I am enjoying the build so much that I didn't even think about competing at Nats this year. The rules are pretty open so it comes down to: creativity+fabrication skills X $$$ and in my case, 2 out of 3 ain't bad ;) The car doesn't even need to be the quickest, it just needs to look cool and sound awesome.

wahoo5

--
    12 Sep 2010 09:11 PM

What an amazing project. Hope you have it at Nats next year. No one could ever accuse you of choosing an easy class given Keisel's green Sprite kicking everyone's butt in EM.

My son and I enjoyed talking to you and your wife at the test and tune. We were driving the black STX MINI JCW.

David

loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Sep 2010 07:29 AM
    wahoo5 wrote:

What an amazing project. Hope you have it at Nats next year. No one could ever accuse you of choosing an easy class given Keisel's green Sprite kicking everyone's butt in EM.

My son and I enjoyed talking to you and your wife at the test and tune. We were driving the black STX MINI JCW.

David

Thanks :) My wife missed the CSL championship by .001 seconds so she's all hyped up to run the Boxster again next year, so my EMod plans may be on hold until 2012.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 4512345 > >>

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner