6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RobertoC

--
31 Aug 2010 09:57 PM

Hi youall

I usually drive AutoX events on my 89 ST Civic.

I would really like to try the Rally Cross next month.

a) Where do I read about the classes?

(I have FWD Civic, stock engine, upgraded suspension, intake and exhaust, and aftermarket ECU, Stock no Differential)

b) Which street tires are good performers?

I now what works good in asphalt and concrete, but have no idea about gravel and dirt.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Roberto

Scootin159
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Sep 2010 07:21 AM

You're most likely in PF (prepared front wheel drive). There's basically only three classes which you'd even have to look at: SF, PF & M2 (stock FWD, prepared FWD and mod 2WD). The actual rules will be on the SCCA.com website, but I'm too lazy to link for ya ;).

As for tires, the simple answer is "snow tires". The long answer largely depends on the exact surface conditions (dry & dusty? wet & sticky? something in between?), but since most of us don't carry 10 sets of wheels/tires, we just take our winter wheels & tires and run those, whatever they may be.

BillSeifert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Oct 2010 12:15 PM

I had my eyes opened today when I talked to Brian at the SCCA Rallycross dept in Topeka. I have an SSC 99 Honda Civic SI that times out of National Racing at the end of next year. As a matter of fact a lot of SSC cars will time out at the end of 2010 or 11.

Because my Honda meets the rules for SSC, it has door bars which intrude into the door. It has an aftermarket seat to fit the FIA Harness I have to have to run. This puts me into M2. in Rally Cross. Yes, modified class, with full rally cars against my stock 99Civic SI. Rally cross rules encourage a roll cage, but you can't change seats. SFI or FIA harnesses will not fit stock seats. Brian suggested I use the stock 3 pt seat belt. It is dangerous to use a 3pt belt with a cage. The need for door bars, full harnesses, and a good seat to fit the harnesses was the long experience of the SCCA with Showroom Stock drivers getting hurt and killed when not using the needed safety equipment. Is Rally Cross going to wait till someone is hurt to require the safety it has taken Club Racing years to learn.

My safety equipment is no performance enhancer. As a matter of fact it probably weighs close to 75 additional pounds. Why in the heck would the use of this safety equipment move my "STOCK" car to the modified class. I could accept Prepared, but modified is going to send me to NASA with the several hundred ex-SCCAers who have already moved.

wrchas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 Oct 2010 12:45 PM

Just in case you didn't know, an OEM stock car with only a tire/wheel change won in M2 at the National Championship. Yes, other than wheels and tires, a OEM stock car managed to beat "full rally cars." And guess what, that same car finished 2nd in PF.

I'd argue that rule 6.2.4a would allow your car to compete in the Stock class. There is a school of thought in the RallyCross program that stock means OEM stock. Does your car have a "trunk kit"? If so, those parts might take you out of stock as well.

If you don't like the rules, get involved with the rallycross program and get them changed. Create some wording that road race vehicles are eligible for their equivalent RallyCross class. As a starter, here's the rule that applies to SS vehicles taken from Section 13.0 and on page 70 of the Solo rule book:

Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current national Showroom Stock Club Racing rules are permitted to compete in their respective Solo Stock Classes. This does not include Showroom Stock cars with installations of post-factory “performance packages” otherwise known as “trunk kits.”

RallyCross is made up of regular folks like you and me that want to have fun. Maybe the original rule makers didn't think that a road racing car would be interested in running a rallycross. Have you noticed how "thick" the RallyCross rulebook is? If some rules keep you from wanting to experience the fun, well maybe rallycross is not for you.

Jan in Omaha

--
    04 Nov 2010 09:44 AM
    I agree whole heartedly with you. There are going to be large number of cars aging out of Showroom stock and not all of them will be converted to IT. I feel that ex-Showroom cars should be allowed in Stock as long as they don't have a trunk kit or any other non-OEM mods other than the cage, seat (and maybe the airbags). Yes, even if they have cut into the doors for their cage. If they do have trunk kit... then what ever class they would fall into, probably Prepared. This rule from Solo does make sense to bring to RallyX.
    Dale Seeley

--
    06 Nov 2010 05:42 PM

I'm another Atlanta Region member who is excited about the prospect of RallyX becoming part of our region. I'm not really sure why I didn't get involved before with the Alabama Region, who will be our big brothers, but it just didn't happen.

Tomorrow I will purchase an ex SSC Neon for the program and hope that it will be classed as it is in Solo, Stock, but can deal with it being elsewhere. If it's in stock, there will be room for more co-drivers...

correction: Purchased an ex SSC Neon. [A]

Brent Blakely

--
    11 Dec 2010 06:34 PM
    Hello guys, I usually post over at the other scca forum. wrchas is correct, the idea of the stock class is that the cars are stock. I believe all the cars referred to here would be allowed in prepared class with the added cages and most likely non oem shocks/struts.

Also the great thing about rallycross is the fact that the driver is the biggest factor in being competitive at rallycross, not the car.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner