You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lowside67
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
20 Sep 2010 08:57 AM

Hello everybody,

We run a "Slush Series" in Vancouver and I am co-driving a G-stock 06 Civic Si. We have A6s for the (unlikely) chance that it is dry, but it is typically damp if not pouring and 30-40F for most of it.

My thought is that a top tier ST tire is probably a better tire in those temperatures that something like a Hoosier Wet or W710, am I on the right track? We have had people try and run the Hoosier Wets before here with absolutely 0 success, our lot is sealed and is extremely slippery compared to a grippy concrete lot.

My thought was that probably the R1R made the most sense but it seems to be extremely difficult to find - are they discontinuing these or something? Would a Z1 be a good choice? The RE11 and AD08 are probably beyond the budget and it looks from my reading that the RS3 would simply require more heat than will be possible.

I appreciate any input.

-Mark

Andy Hollis

--
    20 Sep 2010 09:53 AM

The problem with most top-tier ST tires is that they are "summer only" designs. And almost all say "not to be used during near-freezing temps". As an example, one of our locals had an R1R delaminate on the drive to an event where it was right around freezing. If you weren't getting any colder than low 40's, I'd say R1R all the way.

Once you move away from summer tires, you might check out the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (not the DW, which is a summer tire). Check out Tire Rack's testing on this tire, especially in the wet.

--Andy

Soma07

--
    20 Sep 2010 10:42 AM

FWIW I ran a set of Star Specs on my E46 in freezing/near freezing temperatures (there were actually sheets of ice on the lot where puddles were) and they were totally fine. No signs of chunking/delamination issues at all. That included a 35 mile highway drive to the event site too.

Grip was not great but better than I expected considering the temperature.

splash
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Sep 2010 10:45 AM
    We had an event last year, late October, where it was dry, but about 38 degrees F to start the morning. I was on Bridgestones, my usually close competition was on Dunlops. We both start out the day slipping and sliding around on our "rocks" but when the temp crossed 45 or so, the Dunlops started working. Mine never "came in" so I got soundly trounced. Note to self: Dunlops start working sooner than Bridgestones in the cold...
    GotCone?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Sep 2010 12:59 PM

splash wrote:
    We had an event last year, late October, where it was dry, but about 38 degrees F to start the morning. I was on Bridgestones, my usually close competition was on Dunlops. We both start out the day slipping and sliding around on our "rocks" but when the temp crossed 45 or so, the Dunlops started working. Mine never "came in" so I got soundly trounced. Note to self: Dunlops start working sooner than Bridgestones in the cold...

And toyos even sooner. ;)

lowside67
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Sep 2010 01:09 PM
    Are R1Rs out of production? I am having a really hard time finding any...
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Sep 2010 02:03 PM
    Andy Hollis wrote:

Once you move away from summer tires, you might check out the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (not the DW, which is a summer tire). Check out Tire Rack's testing on this tire, especially in the wet.

--Andy

The DWS is what I was going to suggest as well and what I have considered as a rain tire for my ST* car. Tire Rack's test show it to be excellent in inclement weather.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Mooresport Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner