PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 24 Oct 2010 03:31 PM by  Bullitt2954
Towing Problem with Car on Trailer
 12 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
David Lehman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts:2160


--
22 Oct 2010 05:06 AM

    Here's my problem.......

    Towed out to Blytheville for the tour with my 03 Sierra Denali, Featherlite open car trailer and with 911.

    When I towed my ASP Vette, I would have the rear bumper of the car at the end of the trailer and towing felt good...no real issues. However, with the 911 I figured to move the car up about 20" or so due to the rear weight bias of the car. The problem is that the front trailer axel brakes seem to be locking up prematurely, at at least overworking, because the front axel hubs are hot after breaking while the rears are cool.

    If I move the car back, would it let the brakes work more evenly, or would it make it worse by letting the fronts lock up quicker ?

    Thanks,

    David

    rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:2434


    --
    22 Oct 2010 05:47 AM

    Lots of folks put their rear engine cars on their trailer backwards.

    H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

    David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:2160


    --
    22 Oct 2010 06:15 AM
    rtp.rick wrote:

    Lots of folks put their rear engine cars on their trailer backwards.

    H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

    That's a good idea Rick.........it's gotta be about as easy as driving it up front ways.......BUT it kinda scares me to back it up the trailer, not that I ever tried it.

    rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:2434


    --
    22 Oct 2010 06:38 AM

    I'm terrible at backing up, too. Make sure you get somebody to watch. [:D]

    H's & K's,
    Rick

    talon95
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:1924


    --
    22 Oct 2010 07:11 AM

    I'm a trailer noob, so this may or may not be a useful comment. Anyway, I just bought a 3110 and the first thing I noticed is the distribution of weight to the axles appears to be significantly effected by the angle of the trailer. Have you checked to see if it's level with the car loaded??

    I guess what I would do is check the actual tongue weight (I've been told it should be 10% or so of the total). If that's close and you still have a problem, maybe you could tweak it some by changing the amount of ball drop?? (oh I can't believe I said the word "ball" in a Lehman thread!).

    Dave G.

    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:831


    --
    22 Oct 2010 07:34 AM

    David,

    I don't think the weight distribution is your problem. It sounds to me like your brakes are.

    If it was the result of load, the brakes would be locking on the unloaded axle not the more heavily loaded axle.

    Check to see if the rear brakes are working. I will bet that they aren't. If so, then the fronts will be overworked.

    A side note: I only have brakes on the lead axle on my trailer. The lead axle, like the front brakes on your car, does most of the braking. Also, if you were to lock the brakes completely, the rear axle continues to turn, retains traction and keeps the trailer tracking straight thus preventing Jack-knifing.

    David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:2160


    --
    22 Oct 2010 07:47 AM
    Steve Hoelscher wrote:

    David,

    I don't think the weight distribution is your problem. It sounds to me like your brakes are.

    If it was the result of load, the brakes would be locking on the unloaded axle not the more heavily loaded axle.

    Check to see if the rear brakes are working. I will bet that they aren't. If so, then the fronts will be overworked.

    A side note: I only have brakes on the lead axle on my trailer. The lead axle, like the front brakes on your car, does most of the braking. Also, if you were to lock the brakes completely, the rear axle continues to turn, retains traction and keeps the trailer tracking straight thus preventing Jack-knifing.

    Thanks for the reply Steve. I am going to stop in Ocala on the way back from Blytheville next week. I am sure it's the brakes....

    So the fronts always work harder than the rears, right ? But mine should be working better.

    Thanks for everyone's reply.

    David

    JBrettHowell
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:


    --
    22 Oct 2010 08:20 AM
    rtp.rick wrote:
    Lots of folks put their rear engine cars on their trailer backwards.

    H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

    I bought my little home made open trailer from someone who built it to carry an F500 (weight biased towards the back of the car). When I started hauling my Civic around on it, I found that backing it on was the best way to prevent too much tongue weight (front biased weight of the Civic towards the rear of the trailer). Been hauling like that for 10 years now with no issues.

    Scoob
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:122


    --
    22 Oct 2010 09:16 AM
    Rick forgot to say "And make sure to record it, too![:P]
    Scootin159
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:183


    --
    22 Oct 2010 11:28 AM
    If weight bias does prove to be the issue, and you don't want to be regularly backing the car on the trailer, how difficult is it to relocate the axles? Some trailer designs make it fairly straightforward, others not so much. If you can just "slide" the axles back a little, it should improve not only your weight balance, but also how well the trailer tracks behind you. The down side would be an increased turning radius.
    Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:673


    --
    22 Oct 2010 02:38 PM
    rtp.rick wrote:

    I'm terrible at backing up, too. Make sure you get somebody to watch. [:D]

    H's & K's,
    Rick

    Don't ask my Wife to spot you - she's REALLY good at yelling at you about two-seconds AFTER the damage is done.......

    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:632


    --
    24 Oct 2010 01:06 PM
    Bullitt2954 wrote:
    rtp.rick wrote:

    I'm terrible at backing up, too. Make sure you get somebody to watch. [:D]

    H's & K's,
    Rick

    Don't ask my Wife to spot you - she's REALLY good at yelling at you about two-seconds AFTER the damage is done.......

    [:)] Now, THAT'S funny!
    Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:673


    --
    24 Oct 2010 03:31 PM
    atcovan wrote:
    Bullitt2954 wrote:
    rtp.rick wrote:

    I'm terrible at backing up, too. Make sure you get somebody to watch. [:D]

    H's & K's,
    Rick

    Don't ask my Wife to spot you - she's REALLY good at yelling at you about two-seconds AFTER the damage is done.......

    [:)] Now, THAT'S funny!

    It certainly wasn't at the time. I've got what's referred-to as a "temper". Especially when I'm the one being yelled-at for something happening that the person yelling at me was supposed to prevent. I've also got one of those novelty "bullethole" stickers covering the center of the 8"-diameter trailer-dent/paint-gouge in my ..... Bullitt.....

    (makes it more authentic that way - at least that's what I keep telling myself)

    You are not authorized to post a reply.


    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

    Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

    SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

    Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank



    Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner