24 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Patrick [Buffalo]

--
30 Dec 2000 02:44 PM
    Has anyone run the Kumho street tires yet? I have had great success with the V7000 so I am considering the 711s or 712s as my next street tire (currently Firehawks, which I love). Any opinions?
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2000 06:09 PM
    I have run both, they are an excellent alternative, wear is great! The new 712's are incredible in the wet, and put down power well!
    Dave
    Apex7z

--
    30 Dec 2000 07:44 PM
    Agree on the 712's, esp. for the price you can get them for @ [url="http://www.tirerack.com."]www.tirerack.com.[/URL]
    ludedaddy96

--
    30 Dec 2000 08:07 PM
    the 712's are an awesome tire for the money, alot of people will swear by them

------------------
    SCCAForums Image
    STS #22
    96 FBP Prelude S
    www.ckrscca.org
    thedoc

--
    30 Dec 2000 11:05 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick [Buffalo]:
    [b]Has anyone run the Kumho street tires yet?[/b]

I am running V712's on my Saturn SC2, my daily driver.

In the wet, they are hands down the best tire I have driven on. Absolutely incredible. If you are looking for a wet tire, go with these!

In the dry, they are quite good, but I don't think on a par with AVS Intermediates. I believe the problem is that the sidewalls are pretty soft, and they don't respond quite as quickly, and don't have as stable a set in a hard corner.

The RE71 is suppoesed to be a bit better than the AVS. If you don't expect a lot of wet use, I'd try a set of them.

------------------
    1990 Supra Turbo - NHA Hillclimbs, SCCA Solo II, Wannabe Rallyist
    SCCAForums Image
    [url="http://www.premier1.net/~thedoc wrote:
    www.premier1.net/~thedoc[/URL]
    sm2dan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 Dec 2000 05:19 AM
    for the money you really can't go wrong! i've spent $125/tire for a 215/40/16 Toyo T1-S (best street tire i've experienced) and then tested a set of Yoko A520s for $105/tire, which absolutely sucked!

But from reading all the rave reviews of the Kumho, even if it doesn't stick as well as the Toyo, i got a set for under $300!! you can't find a set of 215/40/16 tires for under $400 MUCH less under $300!!

Dan

------------------
    99 Miata CSP #96
    Honda F125 #26
    Spokes Pres '00/'01
    [url="http://www.spokes.org"]www.spokes.org[/URL]
    [url="http://www.mazdastuff.com"]www.mazdastuff.com[/URL]
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Jan 2001 01:57 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sm2dan:
    [b]for the money you really can't go wrong! i've spent $125/tire for a 215/40/16 Toyo T1-S (best street tire i've experienced) and then tested a set of Yoko A520s for $105/tire, which absolutely sucked!

But from reading all the rave reviews of the Kumho, even if it doesn't stick as well as the Toyo, i got a set for under $300!! you can't find a set of 215/40/16 tires for under $400 MUCH less under $300!!

Dan

[/b]

So, where did you find the T1-S in that size for $125?? I thought I got a good deal at $150 for that size.

I used mine in STS, and thought they sucked (Sorry SCCAForums Image They weren't that good) for autocrossing. Very squimy tread elements. I ran them back-to-back with 195/50-15 AVS and the AVS were faster and more predictable.

I haven't had a chance to auto-X the Kumho 712 yet, but I did do a track day with two drivers in 100+ temp, and they were faster (brand-new, they had 120 miles on them when I got to the track) than the AVS had been at about 1/2 tread depth.

Just MHO.

Oops, almost forgot. The 2nd place car in STS at Nationals ran Kumho 712 tires. He was right behind the winner, who was on BFG G-Force KDs.
    ------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX

[This message has been edited by Davard (edited January 01, 2001).]
    sm2dan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Jan 2001 03:18 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Davard:
    [b] So, where did you find the T1-S in that size for $125?? I thought I got a good deal at $150 for that size.[/b]

I actually sell them so i get decent deals. I admit that they're not going to make a great autocross tire out of the box, they'd probably need to be shaved.

Dan

------------------
    99 Miata CSP #96
    Honda F125 #26
    Spokes Pres '00/'01
    [url="http://www.spokes.org wrote:
    www.spokes.org[/URL]
    [url="http://www.mazdastuff.com wrote:
    www.mazdastuff.com[/URL]
    ConemowerSL2

--
    03 Jan 2001 03:37 PM
    What can I say that hasn't been said. I ran a set on my 98 Saturn SL2 (205/50/16) when the roads were clear. I got them through Discount tire for something like $70. Great wet or dry, not so good in snow.

Jeff
    8Complex

--
    03 Jan 2001 05:02 PM
    I'm ready to finish off my first set of Kumho 712's after about 7-8 months of driving and racing on them. They've worked really great for me and I'm really impressed that they've held up so well considering how hard I beat on them. Also, I'm a drift-style driver (Subaru Impreza) so when I say oversteer, I mean OVERSTEER. SCCAForums Image
    Lady in Nomex

--
    03 Jan 2001 09:30 PM
    I recently shod my '97 TA with 275 40 17 712s. Only street driving so far, they are unbelievably quiet! Was not expecting that in addition to the good handling and excellent price.

------------------
    Camaro Mustang Challenge #37 Trans-Am
    wrxwannabe

--
    04 Jan 2001 03:49 AM
    I run the v700 for AutoX and the 712's on the street. I'm really impressed with the 712, it is a very good tire for the money. I won't say its the best or anything, but for the money nothing will touch it. Though I went from Bridgestone RE92s to the 712 to anything would be an improvement. SCCAForums Image

Later
    Eric
    8Complex

--
    04 Jan 2001 12:45 PM
    I've got about 45 runs, 6 months of hard street driving, and 10,000 miles on my Kumho 712's right now. I love them. I will definetly get another set come Febuary or March.

Note: They are REALLY horrible in the snow, though. But then again, mine have MAYBE 3/16" of tread depth left...
    AC13

--
    04 Jan 2001 01:32 PM
    I an one of those people.....they are awesome tires, especially for the money. Excellent wear combined with superior wet traction and great dry traction. These are some of the best tires I have driven on. [QUOTE]Originally posted by ludedaddy96:
    [b]the 712's are an awesome tire for the money, alot of people will swear by them

[/b]

------------------
    [url="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1396676&Auth=false wrote:
    Photopoint Album[/URL]
    [EMAIL]AC13@purehonda.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://performancerefinishing.nav.to/ wrote:
    Performance Refinishing Website[/URL]
    SCCAForums Image
    thedoc

--
    04 Jan 2001 11:37 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 8Complex:
    [b]Note: They are REALLY horrible in the snow, though. But then again, mine have MAYBE 3/16" of tread depth left...[/b]

Yikes! I wouldn't expect them to be. No lateral tread, and lots of contact patch. I pulled my 712's off for my Blizzaks. Only snowed once here in Everett, and it was all melted when I got up in the morning! SCCAForums Image

Oh, well, drove through Stevens Pass last weekend, it was great. I could do 50 or 60 the whole time, periodic brake checks, slowing down for the sparse traffic. SCCAForums Image

Only 1 scary moment was when I passed a pack of cars doing about 20 in the right lane. I passed them at about 35, then accelerated back up. As soon as I passed, a 4WD truck in mid pack pulled out, and then passed me doing about 70. Probably decided he should be able to out-do any mere car, even if a moment ago, he was content to be going 20. Probably just had regular tires. He was catching me just as we were headed towards a relatively sharp left-hander. I had visions of him losing it and sliding into me, so I gave him a wide berth.

Only person to pass me the entire trip...

V700's on the track, V712's on the street, Blizzaks on the snow!

------------------
    1990 Supra Turbo - NHA Hillclimbs, SCCA Solo II, Wannabe Rallyist
    SCCAForums Image
    [url="http://www.premier1.net/~thedoc wrote:
    www.premier1.net/~thedoc[/URL]
    ET

--
    05 Jan 2001 02:42 PM
    What's this "Snow" stuff you've been refering to??? SCCAForums Image
    SSM28

--
    16 Jan 2001 10:05 AM
    Kinda funny that people have said they are no good in snow. Reason being is I found when my 712's were cold they acted like totally different tires than when warm. I noticed that on days when the temp outside was below 60 it would take a few miles of driving for the tires to feel normal.
    I only had mine for about 6 weeks when about .2 mi from the house getting one the freeway I was forced to lay hard on the brakes in order to avoid a wreck. Being that the tires had a tendency to have less traction when cold the brakes locked easily. I flat spotted the tires down to the cords in a 33 ft slide. I'm not sure if other tires would have corded from this since this was my only experience sliding this far, but I think if it would have happened a few more miles down the road the traction would have been greater and the lock up most likely avoided. Hence, for the $$ they're great and I'd only buy them if I lived in a warm climate area.
    Solo 2 Dan

--
    16 Jan 2001 01:27 PM
    The 712's are going to be my next tire. Cant wait for spring!

Dan
    BryanH
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Jan 2001 09:27 PM
    I just ordered a set of 195/50VR15 Kumho 712s for my MR2. I've been driving and racing on 195/55VR14 Potenza RE71s for the past year, and I've been extremely happy with them, so we'll see how these Kumhos compare. I was tempted to upgrade to the Potenza RE730s, but the price of the Kumhos was just too tempting. SCCAForums Image I have a feeling the Kumhos won't provide the sheer grip and composure of the RE71s. But who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. They should arrive by the weekend (hope my wheels get here by then too).

------------------
    [i][url="http://move.to/theMR2"]1987 Toyota MR2, C-Stock[/URL][/i]
    Axoid

--
    17 Jan 2001 02:39 PM
    I have also just ordered a set 245/45VR16 for my Camaro. $101 each at Discount Tire.

------------------
    Bill
    Ohio Valley Region SCCA
    92 Camaro RS
    305 M5
    Kumho 712
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner