Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RX555
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Nov 2010 12:40 AM

Hi, I've got a 99 Expedition with the rear air suspension that seems to be riding rather low lately while towing. Just wondering in anybody else out there has any similar experience with this and what you think about switching the rears to regular struts/springs. The truck seems fine on regular driving, but loaded down with gear and the car on the trailer the rear really sags (didn't use to or not as much at least). It doesn't seem to affect the truck, just looks bad and seems like a bad idea.

When I search online, all I keep getting is links to a place called strutmasters that sells a conversion kit. There doesn't seem to be any mention of tow ratings on these, though. Anybody do this or use another brand?

Thanks.

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Nov 2010 11:29 AM

Your ride height sensor is probably bad. I have this suspension on my 02 Navigator and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have several Super Duty diesels but the Navi tows the 2 car trailer better and with less drama.

I once loaded the Navi and trailer with a 2005 crewcab diesel 4X4 Ford and had so much tongue weight the hitch was touching the ground. Started the Navi and within 40 seconds the rig was sitting at normal ride height and towed perfectly. Truck and trailer weighed over 10K.

My advice is fix it, don't replace it.

RX555
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Nov 2010 02:27 AM
    Exactly the kind of tip I was looking for. Thanks.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner