Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
epcrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
26 Nov 2010 04:23 PM
    Hey those of you in the Jr. Kart know. I have a lead on a 2003 Arrow AX7 1020mm chassis, less motor for $500. I want to get my 10 year old daughter into Formula Jr. and this seems like a great start. Sadly, I know nothing about Jr. Karts.

Is the chassis legal? It is safe and competitive? What is the engine going to cost me?

Thanks!
    CSP21
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 02:11 AM
    Sorry, most of the kart guys rarely read this forum. You'll get a lot more help over here: Ekartingnews Solo Forum This is a complicated question, more so because I'm not particularly familiar with the chassis. Basically the first thing we try to do is recommend a chassis you can get support for, especially locally if you have a local kart shop. If not its not the end of the world, as I don't have any local to me but it does make getting help a bit tougher. Second is the kart a good fit for your daughter. The issue will be her size and being able to set it up so she can reach the pedals comfortably/safely. Third is the condition of the kart, pay especially close attention to any repairs (signs its been crashed/tweaked), the condition of the brakes (if it has ANY brake issues its probably cheaper to avoid it despite how cheap it might be to purchase) and anything else that doesn't look right. Its also always recommended for your first kart to buy a running kart with the engine you want already on it. Its hard for your first one to put it together yourself though certainly not impossible and has been done, just an extra challenge. Good luck, and you'll find lots of solo parents that have done exactly what it sounds like you are about to go through.
    Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Nov 2010 02:18 PM

You also have to get into the rule book as far as motors go. 10 yr old will be in FJB, the top motor is 2 stroke Yamaha KT-100 with small carb and muffler. Briggs Raptor running Methanol, or World Formula with .475 restrictor. Research your poison and drink it down.

My son is Ultra small and light. 50 pounds we have to add 60 pounds of lead to the cadet sized chassis 980mm.

Arrow is a common chassis and parts should not be a problem. 28mm tubes being the best as the young drivers are not strong enough to make a shifter chassis work right.

and 2nd the Ekarting site. I hang out there a lot!!!!!!!!!

epcrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Dec 2010 02:23 PM

Thanks guys!

We picked up the kart and it's in great condition. I also got a lot of spares with the deal, which will help. I plan to run the KT100 or the World Formula, but the later is proving hard to find used. It will be a fun project and if she decides Karting in not her thing, I have another daughter waiting in line.

I'll check out the other forum!

Thanks again!

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Dec 2010 03:55 PM
    Go to http://www.seventh-gear.com/store
    and Eric will have a WF motor for you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner