43 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages
Flagger X

--
06 Jan 2001 10:58 AM
One problem I have is the paucity of good racing games for the Macintosh. Here I am with a wicked fast machine, the bucks for steering wheel and pedals, and nothing but NASCAR racing to choose from. Where is Grand Turismo? Mobil Rally GT? Grand Prix Legends?

I'm thinking of moving to a play station, once the early adoption prices come down some. The graphics on the PS One are too poor by modern standards. Any good PS racing games? Or is the Sega Genesis a valid racing machine?
8Complex

--
06 Jan 2001 03:12 PM
Personally I try to stick to console games, but here is a list of my favorites:

- Playstation
Colin McRae Rally (original and version 2)
Gran Turismo (original and version 2)

- Dreamcast
Sega GT
Sega Rally 2
Test Drive : V-Rally
Test Drive : Le Mans

- Playstation 2
Gran Turismo 3 (when it is released)
Midnight Club : Street Racing
Toms6893

--
06 Jan 2001 03:21 PM
Anyword if the cars on GT2 are transferrible to GT3??? I hope so i have some really well set up cars.

------------------
93 Mustang GT Convertable
#68 ESP
68 Mustang Coupe Dragcar
#3056 N/E
All work and no racing makes Tom very mad...
BryanH
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Jan 2001 08:30 PM
I'll fourth or fifth the recommendation for Grand Prix Legends (GPL). Truly the title most worthy of "off season training software", methinks. SCCAForums Image But you've got to have a fast machine...

Is anybody else here really looking forward to World Sports Cars by the West brothers? If the hype is to be believed it will be the game to topple GPL as the most in-depth, realistic computer racing experience available to the PC user.

<-- Just barely in the negative handicap rankings on GPLRank. SCCAForums Image
T2Racer

--
10 Jan 2001 05:03 AM
My favorite is the TOCA Touring Car Challenge. Second favorite is GT2. I just got it over Christmas and I have been playing it everyday.

Good off season training. SCCAForums Image
etgar

--
10 Jan 2001 05:14 AM
Of guys that play on their PC's - do you use the keyboard/mouse or a wheel (maybe with pedals). If a wheel - are you happy with it and if so what make/model?

Thanks,

Etgar
cp81camaro

--
13 Jan 2001 06:18 PM
Has anyone played "DRIVER" - playstation ?

Where you are undercover police officer as a get away driver for bank robbers ?

What games are good for playstation ? My home computer is not fast enough yet and my work frowns on playing games... go figure!

Thanks,

------------------
Michael
'81 Camaro Z28
'81 Camaro "purple nurple"
Anubis

--
13 Jan 2001 06:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by etgar:
[b]Of guys that play on their PC's - do you use the keyboard/mouse or a wheel (maybe with pedals). If a wheel - are you happy with it and if so what make/model?

Thanks,

Etgar[/b]

I played racing games on my puter for several years with keypad and I don't recommend it. First and foremost it will cause damage to your hand, usually your right because that is where the number pad is. I attempted to run this years TPTCC and just couldn't do it due to pain I was expierancing, on playstation I am ok, just on the keyboard I can't do it. Get yourself a wheel. I am interested in what wheel people use for the PC games as hopefully someday soon I'll be getting a new box at the house. Also how do you make the wheel and peddles stay in the same place, was at a friends and had a hell of a time trying to get the peddles not to move.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C
Mhanc

--
13 Jan 2001 08:27 PM
Ok so Dirt Track Racing by ratbag is damn cool...(PC)

I like Collin McRay Rally...(Playstation)

Also Mobil 1...(PC)

Calling them offseason training software is pretty funny...

------------------
"hamster"
109 CSP
1985 Rx-7 GSL-SE
thedoc

--
14 Jan 2001 01:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by etgar:
[b]Of guys that play on their PC's - do you use the keyboard/mouse or a wheel (maybe with pedals). If a wheel - are you happy with it and if so what make/model?[/b]

I was using the Saitek R4 Force wheel (and pedals), and liked it. Unfortunately, Saitek does not provide ANY support, and the drivers were designed for Win95. It will work with Win98, but only partially with Win98SE, rendering most games unplayable. With my current system, I have WinME, and the drivers won't install at all!

I recently dumped it for the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel (and pedals) This works great, and even has the capability to save and select driver settings for different games, so you don't have to re-configure the whole thing manually.

I suggest the force feedback if you can afford it. They are more expensive than without, but I get some much more out of it. Not 100% realistic, but you can feel what the car is doing, if you hit curbs, other cars, etc. With SportsCar GT, the steering will even go light if the chassis is unloaded, and has a different feel depending on a full or empty tank of if the tires are going away. Very subtle, but there. It took me several days before I really noticed that coming out of the pits, the car just felt heavy! Now that I know, it's really amazing.

Without FF, you'll feel like you're playing Pole Position in the arcades...

------------------
Michael McAvoy - 1990 Supra Turbo
NHA Hillclimbs OSPO Class
SCCA Solo II "Ill-Prepared"
Wannabe Group 5 Rallyist
[url="http://www.premier1.net/~thedoc wrote:
www.premier1.net/~thedoc[/URL]
Almost fixed!
Toms6893

--
14 Jan 2001 10:50 PM
Hey i like Pole Position SCCAForums Image .

------------------
93 Mustang GT Convertable
#68 ESP
68 Mustang Coupe Dragcar
#3056 N/E
All work and no racing makes Tom very mad...
BryanH
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
15 Jan 2001 02:46 AM
I use a Thrustmaster Nascar Pro for my PC racing fix. It's not the greatest wheel out there (see [url="http://www.hyperstim.com"]www.hyperstim.com[/URL] for that!), but I think it's a good value. Mine has held up reasonably well over the past couple years, and is very good ergonomically (which is more than can be said for most units). The pedals stay in place because of a wooden base my father and I built that fills the gap between pedal unit and the back and side of my desk's footwell. The wheel unit clamps to the desk and has little rubber feet to help keep it from sliding around. It's pretty effective.
[url="http://www.thrustmaster.com"]www.thrustmaster.com[/URL] will have their latest line of wheels.

I've never used force feedback (FF) myself, but I doubt I would like it. I want to control the car, not fight the wheel. I don't need vibrations or kickbacks to tell me if I'm on the grass or running over a curb. SCCAForums Image Until they can immediately and accurately model the sensations of changing slip angles, load transfer, and lockup of the front wheels, I don't think I'll really be interested. I think the technology is still a bit too primitive to be absolutely necessary.

Edit - Had to fix me link.

------------------
[i][url="http://move.to/theMR2"]1987 Toyota MR2, C-Stock[/URL][/i]

[This message has been edited by BryanH (edited January 15, 2001).]
AC13

--
15 Jan 2001 02:55 AM
Sports Car GT rocks along with Mobil 1 Rally Championship. Ther is only one beef with M1RC....it is that the sounds suck big time. This is the rally car that I made in the game: Sorry for the big pic.
SCCAForums Image
Mr53CSP

--
15 Jan 2001 09:36 AM
[b] I'm partial to the 91-92 Supra twin-turbos (too heavy though). I enjoy the TRD 2000GT along with a homemade MKiv (93-98) Supra turbo. My favorite Low hp cars (less than 400hp) is the Spoon Civic Type R (in yellow). My favorite "real" race car is the Steve Millen 300zx Race car.

A few of us get together on the off-sundays and race against each other. We do teams. 3 on 3 or 2 on 2. First person gets 3 laps, goes into the pit, then switches, other person gets remaining 3 laps. It makes out for great racing! =) [/b]

------------------
[b]-53 CSP
'90 CRX HF/Si
2K Maxima[/b]
SCCAForums Image

[This message has been edited by Mr53CSP (edited January 15, 2001).]
SpeedRacer3268

--
15 Jan 2001 02:25 PM
Grand Prix Legends is HANDS down the best sim out on the market. In fact, as far as I'm concerned its the ONLY Sim out on the market. The rest are just games. GT2 is quite fun. Gotta love Laguna Seca. As fun as GT2 is its not very realistic at all. There are 2 games coming out this year that I am REALLY looking forward to. Nascar 4(I don't like Nascar much, but the physics of the game should be about the same as Grand Prix Legends). I am ALSO looking forward to World Sports Cars which is supposed to be even better than Grand Prix Legends in EVERY way. Anyways, my $.02.

------------------
------------------
Jeremy
1990 RX-7 GTU
Bonez Racepipe
Bonez Intake
Weight mods - AC removed
More mods coming soon
AIM - SpeedRacer3268
jason

--
17 Jan 2001 08:21 AM
I have GT 1& 2, need for speed high stakes, Colin McRea rally 1&2,test drive 24hrs lemans,NASCAR '99 & 2000,jarrett & labonte racing, ridge racer, tokyo highway,and a few others. I wear them all out;right now it is between McRea 2 and jarrett and labonte racing. SCCAForums Image
Anubis

--
17 Jan 2001 10:31 AM
When Nascar4 does come out expect The Pits to make some damned good "new" games... it'll take a bit once they get a hang of the new files and how to edit them properly but I for one expect a great TPTCC game once its done.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C
Trys_Hard

--
17 Jan 2001 07:04 PM
Sorry Guys but Sports Car GT beats em all because you can customize it with downloads from the Internet. Not only Cars but tracks also, most of them real world. The Laguna Seca in SCGT is so much better than the one in GT2. Also they are working on Autox tracks and perhaps one day you will be able to scan the Autocross map into the game and race a sim of your own car on it. Think you'd be ready for Sunday then!

------------------
[list]

*Art Rinner
*95 Eagle Talon ESI
*#823 ES
*Catback Exhaust
*K&N Filtercharger

[/list]
neonmike22

--
18 Jan 2001 02:28 PM
My PC favorites in no particular order...

Mobil 1 Rally Championship
Sports Car GT
Nascar Heat (I gotta race at the glen somehow!)
EA Superbike 2001

I really think that superbike and NASCAR Heat are more detailed than SCGT. SCGT could have been much better, but it was bounced between publishers and released a bit outdated.

Superbike clearly has the most detailed Laguna Seca, The straightaways on GT2 are way way too long (or are bikes just that quick SCCAForums Image ), and SCGT lacks some detail in key places (the corkscrew is way too easy). Now someone needs to come out with a 4 wheeled game as detailed as SBK, which isin't based on roundy-round cars. World Sports Cars may be just what the doctor ordered.

[This message has been edited by neonmike22 (edited January 18, 2001).]
Karl Bocchieri

--
22 Jan 2001 04:15 PM
When you finish most of the game new cars are unlocked, I bought a Honda S2000 GT-1 car and it handels great and is fast. I think everyone knows by now that any race can be won by using the 2engine Suzuki Pikes peak rally car. Just put slicks on it, it will out accelerate anything.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crazyquik:
[b]So what cars do ya'll like in GT2?

I'm partial to the race prepped Skylines you can win. I also put in a lot of laps with a Lotus Elise, since its low power but high power to weight makes it competitive in many races.

[/b]
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner