Vorshlag 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 21 Jan 2001 06:22 PM by  JJTheSubeDriver
So... Who else can't wait for the new Kumho's?
 29 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
floridaracer

--
16 Jan 2001 06:42 AM
I think you missed something, he said he coudlnt wait and ordered some Hoosiers, not Kumhos.

------------------
Mike - 80 Z/28
Solo2 CP? Street Mod? where do i go?
[url="http://www.floridaracer.com"]www.floridaracer.com[/URL]
sm2dan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Jan 2001 02:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by floridaracer:
[b]I think you missed something, he said he coudlnt wait and ordered some Hoosiers, not Kumhos.

[/b]

ah, duh. if i could only drive as fast as i read.

dp
NBM LS1 M6

--
16 Jan 2001 04:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda93:
[b]One only needs to browse through the pages of SportsCar or Grassroots to know what my subject means.

In the words of Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter), "Aren't they gorgeous?"
***Best done with thick Aussie accent*** [/b]

Well. . . I had the Kumhos off the front of my car this afternoon while I was adjusting the shocks. One of them is finally showing some cord, so I guess I will have a set of wheels available for the new style/version when they are available tentatively this Spring. SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

Bob

[This message has been edited by NBM LS1 M6 (edited January 18, 2001).]
B1mmer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Jan 2001 11:59 AM
I talked to Trent at Tirerack about 2 weeks ago about the new Kuhmos. He was led to believe that the new tire is geared towards road racing, and the original V700 will still be produced for autocross. So essentially, there will be two V700's produced, with varying tread patterns and compounds for autox and track. It makes sense, considering they are now a major competitor of Hoosier, and Hoosier has a road race and autox compound of essentially the same tire. As a caveat, Trent has some reasons for interest: he is a weekend warrior like ourselves, running a BS Miata in ProSolo's and some local based events....

------------------
'01 Celica GTS
'91 BMW 318is
Trys_Hard

--
18 Jan 2001 06:16 PM
I just ordered a set of V700 for my Talon.
The question I have is how safe are they for driving on the Street? I am going to get a second set of tires but my budget say not for two months.

------------------
[list]

*Art Rinner
*95 Eagle Talon ESI
*#823 ES

[/list]
NBM LS1 M6

--
18 Jan 2001 06:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trys_Hard:
[b]I just ordered a set of V700 for my Talon.
The question I have is how safe are they for driving on the Street? I am going to get a second set of tires but my budget say not for two months. [/b]

I would feel pretty much **entirely** safe driving Kumho V700s on the street, especially in dry weather, and especially once they are warmed up in this present cool Southern California weather.

I presently have three sets of Kumhos, and all of them are installed on Corvette wheels.

The set that is presently mounted on the car will be "retired" tomorrow afternoon prior to this weekend's GRA autox practice. They have some 150 runs and perhaps 3K street miles on them. They are almost completely bald. One front tire is actually corded on the inside edge. For the past couple mornings I have been out and about tuning my Koni DAs with these Kumhos mounted. I have been driving them agressively and taking cul de sac intersection right and left handers at simulated autox course speed. They still stick pretty well, and I feel they still handle freeway ramp curves better than my new Goodyear Eagle GSC street tires.

I have another set that had never seen a run until I drove the car on them up to Buttonwillow last October for our annual CSCC two day autox championship event. I drove home from Buttonwillow on them in pouring rain all the way back to Los Angeles/Orange County. They felt like they stuck like glue in the rain. I purposely planned on driving the car to Buttonwillow on them that weekend so that I would have relatively new Kumhos on the car in case of a drive home in the rain. They arose to the occasion.

The third set has never seen an event, and has not been heat cycled. They have several hundred miles of street/freeway use with no appreciable sign of wear.

I invested in spare wheels last summer while the market allowed me to acquire three sets of 16"X9.5" Corvette wheels for $250 a set, and I did so with the plan in mind of having multiple sets of Kumhos available at various stages of their life for this purpose, to wit, dry events, rain commuting to an event, and gentle break-in street use. So far, the plan has been satisfying.

------------------
Bob Hempy
SoPac Cal Club GRA
CSCC Solo2 E-Board Secretary
PGM 1995 Z28 A4 (grocery getter)
NBM 1998 Z28 M6 (autox car)
SM #27

[This message has been edited by NBM LS1 M6 (edited January 18, 2001).]
NBM LS1 M6

--
18 Jan 2001 07:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trys_Hard:
[b]I just ordered a set of V700 for my Talon.
The question I have is how safe are they for driving on the Street? [/b]

The only question I would have about the safety of driving Kumhos on the street would relate to their effectiveness in safely sustaining rapid straight line decelleration, to wit hard braking in traffic in case of the need to stop suddenly on the freeway. Acceleration is not a safety issue, as it can be modulated to match the conditions or the occasion.

I have tested the effectiveness of a completely **worn** set of Kumhos in sustaining lateral stick, so a fortiori, I am confident that relatively new Kumhos would be safe on the street in that respect.

Bob
Trys_Hard

--
18 Jan 2001 07:43 PM
I have ABS so that should help with the deceleration. I would not want to flat spot my New Kuhmo's. SCCAForums Image

------------------
[list]

*Art Rinner
*95 Eagle Talon ESI
*#823 ES

[/list]

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited January 18, 2001).]
chrisbarnett01

--
21 Jan 2001 04:24 PM
[QUOTE]I have the 205/50/15 on my Integra now. What will be the NEW SIZES im hearing of?! Will they make a 215/45/50?!

I dunno about a 215/45-15, but a 225/45-15 will be available when the next gen comes around. That is the size I plan to run for autoxing, and I really hope they will be designed for autox, not road race. Either way, I hope they last a whole season.

------------------
Chris Barnett
chrisbarnett01@yahoo.com
1998 Dodge Neon R/T turbo
SM #90 [url="http://www.cnnpracing.com wrote:
http://www.cnnpracing.com[/URL]

[This message has been edited by chrisbarnett01 (edited January 21, 2001).]
JJTheSubeDriver

--
21 Jan 2001 06:22 PM
About that at-first very fast wearing thing:

I got my new Kumho's decided to run them on the race track the next day just to scrub them in for about 50 pretty easy-laps (they came heat cycled), and I noticed what I thought at the time to be fairly high wear at the outsides, the little lateral grooves were almost gone. But then I looked into it more, and read those grooves are only molded at 1/32", while the rest of the tire is at 6/32" or something like that. Whew! What a relief. I think I can get AT LEAST 15 autocrosses from them, and that is what I am expecting. The last autocross showed no wear at all and it was a fairly rough course. I think that the wear fast at first and then last forever thing maybe true, especially from what I have heard.

JJ
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner