Winding Road Banner
SPO class
Last Post 28 Jul 2003 03:39 PM by GT1Vette. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
27 Jul 2003 07:36 PM
    I'm a curious SCCA spectator and was wondering how SPO works. I've read that it's a regional only class. This may be a naive question, but does that mean SPO cannot compete in any national SCCA event?

I was also curious about SPO rules. As long as the GT1 safety guidelines are followed, are there any modification limitations to SPO?

Mark

--
    28 Jul 2003 03:39 PM
    Your understanding is correct - you will not see SPO contested at a National event (and therefore not at the Runoffs).

SPO is a "catch-all" class for vehicles (I've seen pickup trucks running SPO) with modifications that exceed the limits of any other class. As long as the car meets GT-level safety equipment, it's pretty much run whatcha brung and hope ya brung enough. There are some limits (no nitrous, for instance, because it's specifically banned in all SCCA events), but it's pretty much wide open.

All that said, SPO is a very popular class here in the Southeast with everything from ex-Winston Cup cars, turbo Porsches, big-block GT-1 cars, a rotary powered MG Midget, a turbo rotary Datsun 510 and a lot of other stuff showing up for a given weekend. Gives everyone a place to race and makes for a good show with the variety it attracts.

------------------
    Butch Kummer: Corner worker, (former) Solo I steward, SARRC Rep, Road Racer
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button UltraRev 88x31
    Traqmate 88x31 Button RacerPartsWholesale 88X31
    Hyperfuels 88x31 Button Apex Detail Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button Winding Road 88X31
    saferacer Rugged Radio 88
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    Race-Technology SPS 88x31 Button
    HoosierTire88x31 CarboTech 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner