You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ClementsRacingEngines

--
07 Jan 2001 09:29 AM
    I do Half to admit that when i started to
    build my IT car i got the impression that
    it was a affordable way of racing ..an entry
    type of class and boy was i wrong lol i remember asking a guy what a car cost ground up and i could not believe my ears but then
    again all types of racing cost, even the Mod4
    dirt car we have.... I myself got turned
    off by the fact that the cost is way to hi
    for me to even have a chance to win ,so i put the car under cover to be sold for the the right person who has the money ...am i mad....no.. not at all ... just wish i had the chance to have fun ... as for the answer to the problem.... i have not one ....thanks for your time......Lance

------------------
    [url="http://www.ClementsRacing.net"]http://www.ClementsRacing.net[/URL]
    Flagger X

--
    08 Jan 2001 12:37 PM
    IT is fairly cheap racing, unless you have to win. Competitive cars can be had for $4K, and putting together an IT car can be done for about that much given an approved body. True you won't win, but you will have a lot of fun.

If you HAVE to wine, well then open up your wallet. I don't ever expect to have that much money [though I'm willing to adapt]. But I do have enough to have some fun.
    Hondaman

--
    08 Jan 2001 03:13 PM
    I happen to think IT is a very affordable place to start racing. Between purchasing a car and getting it class legal you can get into racing for $5000, maybe more or less, but still that's a damn cheap race car. Obviously you are not going to start out winning, so while your busy learning how to drive you can also be busy saving money. Sure you're going to have to do repairs (and a lot of those I might add), but if you can be patient you can eventually have the money to build a car right that will be very competitive.

I can honestly see where people would get discouraged by having to spend $10000 to be able to win, but at the same time you can't expect to win right away, so take it slow and enjoy it, after all we only live once.

I can respect your decision and I can honestly see why you did it, God knows I've thought about it myself. But then I realize how much fun it is and how much I learn from it makes it that much more enjoyable for me.

------------------
    1999 Honda Civic Si #17STR
    1984 VW Rabbit GTi ITB (W.I.P)
    ClementsRacingEngines

--
    08 Jan 2001 05:57 PM
    Well to be honest i have been spoiled!! during my Racing career i have been around winners...its in my blood to win... But you guys bring up the most important POINT!!
    Having fun!!!!! I can say i have been in a race car 1 time for 4 laps on a dirt track
    and guess what...IT was FUN!!! lol add to the fact that i did spin out on the last lap
    lol .... Thanks alot for the light!! mabee
    one day ill rub some paint with ya lol J/K
    ........Lance

------------------
    [url="http://www.ClementsRacing.net"]http://www.ClementsRacing.net[/URL]
    racer-john

--
    09 Jan 2001 06:41 AM
    IT is afordable. You don't have to spend 10K or even 5K. I built an ITC rabbit when I was in college for about $3000. Sure it didn't win right out of the box but eventually it did and alot (blowing my own horn SCCAForums Image ) Get with a team that is winning in the same car that you want to race. They will know what parts are worth buying and witch are not. Start with a car that is easy to drive and maintain. The more super jamy parts you add the greater the potential is to go faster but the trade off is that the car becomes more difficult to drive and harder to maintain. If you havn't developed the driving skills then you wont be able to take advantage of that potential. Hone your race skills in a easy car. If you can make a slow car fast with skill just think how fast you'll be in a fast car! Good luck.

BTW I know of a winning ITB GTI for sale for 5-6k

------------------
    John W.
    EP 2nd. gen Rx-7
    Mike

--
    09 Jan 2001 10:27 PM
    its not always the car that runs up front!

the best car with a rookie (newbie to racing period) will usually take a year(or more) to get up to speed.
    no matter how good your car is it wont win until you can get it there, thats how people get turned off - they dont see progress. if you expect to run up front in 3-4 races its just not going to happen .. better to start with a slow car get it to go as fast as it can then slowly move up. you need to learn to race before you get HP..
    just my .02 (.03 cause its C$) SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Mike Gibson
    GT4 Nissan, 240Z convt.
    Crack Monkey

--
    11 Jan 2001 04:51 AM
    I built my Spec RX-7 from scratch for about $6000 (and that includes the $1400 purchase of the car). The only legal mods left undone are upgraded fuel system and muffler removal (since I drive to the track).

Since you appear to have shop space and experience building cars (which I did not when I started), you should be able to shave $1500-$2000 of my cost by buying a car with a broken engine and installing cage yourself.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner