Breaking a Wheel
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
NBM LS1 M6

--
07 Jan 2001 10:41 PM
    I was just curious how many people have seen someone break a wheel, or snap/shear off a wheel during a autox event?

I have a particular make and model of car in mind, to wit the RX-7, but maybe this can occur with other cars. The problem is, these were apparently OEM wheels.

On two occasions last year, I saw a latest recension (prior to its demise) model RX-7 shear a five star OEM wheel clean off the front hub. On the first occasion, I was working a slalom, and it occurred right in front of me. Interesting!

Bob
    CamaroFS34
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jan 2001 04:31 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by NBM LS1 M6:
    [b]I was just curious how many people have seen someone break a wheel, or snap/shear off a wheel during a autox event?[/b]

I've seen a couple of these instances happen, unfortunately. SCCAForums Image

The first one I saw was a F440, which broke an axle and the wheel went flying, quite a distance. It bounced off a VW GTi and landed against a CP Nova in the paddock lot across a road from the lot with the course. We were lucky -- insurance-wise -- that no one was passing by on the road at that particular moment.

The next one I saw was an ESP Mustang which broke a rim, leaving the center piece on the hub, but letting the rest of the wheel and tire go bouncing across the lot (I bet Jim Crider remembers that incident!).

I saw an RX7 (first gen) lose a wheel at an Evansville Tour incident, but if I recall correctly, that was more due to the wheel studs being too short and so the lug nuts couldn't go more than a couple of turns. The nuts backed off and the wheel fell off.

The scariest one, for me, was at a Summit Point road race event, where a FV got slammed and rolled coming out of turn 10, literally throwing a wheel up and into the hot pits, then across the false grid into the paddock, maybe 4 or 6 feet from where I was standing. Jonathan Boxwell's van still has the impression of "Hoosier" on the hood from where it hit.

Unfortunately, losing a wheel isn't as uncommon as any of us would like it to be. SCCAForums Image In some cases, like the Vee, it can't really be avoided, but in others, it is due to poor maintenance of the car or using rims that aren't made to withstand the forces that we put upon them.

Karen Kraus
    1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (FS34) [url="http://www.erols.com/kiirenza/camaro wrote:
    http://www.erols.com/kiirenza/camaro[/URL]

------------------
    "You never get away, you only get someplace else" -- Lovka's Dilemma
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    08 Jan 2001 06:09 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by CamaroFS34:
    [b] I've seen a couple of these instances happen, unfortunately. . . . SCCAForums Image The next one I saw was an ESP Mustang which broke a rim, leaving the center piece on the hub, but letting the rest of the wheel and tire go bouncing across the lot (I bet Jim Crider remembers that incident!). . .[/b]

This is the scenario I had more specifically in mind. Remember, I was saying these were OEM Mazda RX-7 five star wheels. On two occasions, one snapped clean off all around at the hub. I was just wondering whether anyone had experience with/noticed any other OEM wheels that seem to be lack tolerances necessary for autox cornering/slalom on sticky tires.

As you, know there are a number of variations of five star wheels on 4th Generation F-bodies (Camaro/Firebirds), but I have not heard of any similar incidents. BTW. . . although I have a set of SLP takeoff five star Pontiac wheels and street tires on each of my Camaros, I'm running autox events on 16"X9.5" Vette wheels. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Bob Hempy
    SoPac CSCC GRA
    SM #27
    NBM 1998 Z28 M6
    PGM 1995 Z28 A4

[This message has been edited by NBM LS1 M6 (edited January 08, 2001).]
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner