30 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
QWKBLKGT

--
11 Jan 2001 02:47 PM
Well thank you guys. I am regretful to say that I will not be attending any autox events. Just do you understand why, my girlfriend after 5 years left me for a guy that she races with. I guess the lowly drag racing person I am wasnt good enough for her.
Not that anyone wants to hear that, but I just wanted to make clear why I cannot or will not attend any events, at least in Central Ohio. I did not mean to offend anyone here, and thank you all for the encouragement. NBM I can feel your pain on the insurance issue. All I can say is that I drive what I want to drive, because that is what I like. I may be slower, at the strip, and I know it doesnt handle as good as some cars, but it is mine.
Well as I said before good luck to everyone in the upcoming season! Thanks guys, I never thought this discussion would have gone this far, but I am thankful, I did get alot of insight. Thanks!
ITA-MR2

--
11 Jan 2001 07:48 PM
I've drag raced, Pro Rallied, autocrossed, Pro Soloed, and road raced. Each one teaches you something that can be useful in the others. Like, didj'a ever wonder if that guy / gal that just ate your lunch on the tree at the last Pro Solo had ever done any serious drag racing??

Cheers,
Norm
NBM LS1 M6

--
25 Jan 2001 09:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ITA-MR2:
[b]I've drag raced, Pro Rallied, autocrossed, Pro Soloed, and road raced. Each one teaches you something that can be useful in the others. Like, didj'a ever wonder if that guy / gal that just ate your lunch on the tree at the last Pro Solo had ever done any serious drag racing?? [/b]

I guess I am going to get my chance to see my first National Tour Pro Solo event next month, but somehow I had it in my perception that the "Christmas tree," although I don't want to downplay the significance of a good start, was somewhat of a formality next to its significance in drag racing (even amateur Saturday afternoon test and tune drag racing) when factored into the usual handling, driving. and mental concentration issues associated with autox, and therefore the balance of the run in that venue (Pro Solo).

Bob
Trys_Hard

--
25 Jan 2001 10:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Schotz:
[b]Hey... Sorry Guys... I better Repent! Because if someone rolls up next to me, and wants to run em... I am runnin em!

[/b]

Amen Dave! SCCAForums Image
Unless I know I can't win. Then I act to cool to race! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

------------------
[list]

*Art Rinner
*95 Eagle Talon ESI
*#823 ES

[/list]
BStewart

--
28 Jan 2001 10:35 AM
Please understand, most clubs have a very difficult time getting and keeping AutoX sites. Any even slight showing off on the street can cause loss of that site. Our present site gets a police cruise by several times a day and a previous site got shut down by the local chief. He said we were doing over 80 mph. Funny, I barely got into 2nd gear. People in authority do not like complaints, justified or not. Please do not jeopardize our sport. Just be aware.
Mark McCrary
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
28 Jan 2001 11:11 AM
If you have a car that is good on the drag strip and autocross than more power to you. I wish I had a car that has a lot of HP the Miata is now known for that but where I live I am 15min. away from Bristol Dragway and every Thursday night in the summer you can dragrace anything from the fastest street car to the slowest go-cart so I take my car just for fun. I am more serious on autocrossing because I have a car that is competitive. I do not race on the street. The most important think is to have fun. Just don't do a big burnout just to show off at the autocross. Most autocrossers do not have a lot of power so try to brag about how you have more power but use it to you advantage on the track.
Mark McCrary 92 Miata
The Crew Dude

--
29 Jan 2001 07:43 AM
I have been racing for more than 10 yrs. I have driven or crewed for teams in drag, auto-x, and regional, national & pro level road racing. I don't look down my nose to anyone who races. I drove a little Ford Festiva back in the early 90's and kicked some butt and had lot of fun in Auto-x. Then I went drag racing (Festiva) and came in second place (Trophy class)at Gainesville dragway my first time drag racing . I got laughed at by the guys in the Camaros and Mustangs but at the end of the night I was still there cutting .528 / .500 lights I only came in second because I beet my time by .002 of a second.
I would not let others bother me, just go out there and prove to yourself that you can.
autoxss

--
15 Feb 2001 07:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Schotz:
[b]Hey... Sorry Guys... I better Repent! Because if someone rolls up next to me, and wants to run em... I am runnin em!

[/b]

Hey Dave, Does that include the time you scared the bejesus out of me against the 30th Anniversary Conv. TA. SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

I share sentiment with all regarding the street racing scene but I also want to add that a Honda can be as deadly as a V-8 powered Chevy. So often we criticize the car without looking at the people driving these vehicles.

------------------
Mike Allen
Hard-driver57

--
15 Feb 2001 08:26 PM
the clue is also running twelves in the quarter mile haven't seen too many Fiero's do that except down a mine shaft! SCCAForums Image [QUOTE]Originally posted by Davard:
[b]The clue to what type of GT is in the Hotchkiss upper and lower control arms. Also ESP. It's a Mustang GT, right?

Also helps that they make great (cheap) drag race cars.

I've heard arguments that the advantage of autocrossing, besides being more applicable to improving your everyday driving skills, is that you get at least three 45-90 second runs, rather than just a few 12 sec ones.

Of course, road racers and open trackers might counter that they get spend an hour or more on racing.

Just have fun with what you're doing. If you ever get bored with drag racing, know you'll be warmly accepted in the autocrossing, or road racing, community.

Oh, and the only times I race people on the street is to get ahead of them before my favorite stretch of winding road. (Also on ramps. I just like entering the freeway at 65 instead of 25.)

[/b]
Hard-driver57

--
15 Feb 2001 08:27 PM
Bob, Your whipped! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image and a liar! :rooleyes: SCCAForums Image [QUOTE]Originally posted by NBM LS1 M6:
[b] Hey. . . I like drag racing. I'd like to try road racing. However, I have resolved to restrict my weekend "adventures" to local autox events for the time being for two reasons, to wit personal finances and family priorities. The wife lets me have my car enthusiast passions, and I reciprocate my love, honor, and respect for her and her patience by tempering my enthusiasum a bit. SCCAForums Image

Bob Hempy
CSCC Solo2
E-Board Secretary
PGM '95 Z28 A4
NBM '98 Z28 M6
SM #27

[This message has been edited by NBM LS1 M6 (edited January 09, 2001).][/b]

[This message has been edited by Hard-driver57 (edited February 15, 2001).]
NBM LS1 M6

--
15 Feb 2001 08:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hard-driver57:
[b]Bob, Your whipped! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image and a liar! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image [/b]

Hmmmm. . . Let me tell you a little secret.

Albeit the fact that her sister and my future brother-in-law already knew me, I proposed to my now wife over the telephone before I ever met her face to face. We were married virually sight unseen, i.e., I never met her face to face until I got off the plane in Cebu, Philippines four months later. The wedding was already paid for (100% by me). After I proposed to her over the telephone, I told her we needed to make plans about "when." Her response was "You're the boss." SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

There are only two cars in our family, and they are listed below. SCCAForums Image

Bob Hempy---Fountain Valley, CA
Navy Blue Metallic 1998 Z28 M6; Leather; T-tops;
!CAGS; Borla; B&M Ripper; Free Ram Air; Lorena
Bobbit !EGR; B&M PS cooler; Whisper Lid; K&N;
Eibach Prokit; Koni DAs; KBDDSFCs; BMR STB; 1LE
rear LCAs; GW LCA relocation brackets; IRS tubular
PHR; 32/19 1LE sway bars; GW Traclink; 1LE tranny
mount; Torsen T2R posi; Lucas 85W140 gear lube;
16" Vette wheels w/Kumho V700s; -1.9 degrees camber
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Polo Green Metallic 1995 Z28 GU5 A4; 2200 stall;
K&N FIPK; 1.6RRs; HPP+; Mac Exhaust; Eibach Prokit;
Bilsteins; 1LE sways; ES poly bushings; KBDDSFCs;
ES torque arm bushing; Hotchkis PHR, Rear Control
Arms & STB; SLP t/o Torsen; Lucas 85W140 gear lube;
Clarion 6370 Stereo; Clarion 12CD; Boston Acoustics
separates; 100 watt Punch Amp; 10" Bazooka Tube
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner