Kumhos--Buy Them Heat Cycled or Not?
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
NBM LS1 M6

--
12 Jan 2001 01:06 AM
    Just wondering. . . I've heard both views, and I was wondering about the consensus?

Especially, I am curious whether anyone has come to the conclusion that buying them heat cycled really affects the longevity of their wear life. I've heard both arguments on this one too.

Some people seem to chose to "save" the extra $15/tire and heat cycle them via a practice, etc. Others claim that following the Tirerack/Kumho website guidelines about warming them up and letting them cure overnight cannot be matched by the effect from buying them already heat cycled and therefore fully cured.

Bob
    Scott Malbon

--
    12 Jan 2001 08:27 AM
    I've done both and have not noticed that one method is more effective. In my Neon it is difficult to get temps on rear tires up as high as recommended. So that means puting new tires on the front with two sessions given up to heat cycling, or if puting new tires on the rear hoping they got hot enough.

Whatever method, heat cycling does make a big difference.

Scott

------------------
    RobG

--
    12 Jan 2001 09:12 AM
    I've found that one 4-lap autox is enough to heat cycle a set of tires. You just have to be willing to deal with the squirrelliness (sp?) for that one event.

Otherwise, pay the extra money.

Now, if I were ordering up a set that I might use at a major event (Pro, Tour, Nats), I'd get 'em heat cycled for sure, so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Hell, in that case, I might even get 'em shaved.

Rob
    ITA-MR2

--
    12 Jan 2001 06:26 PM
    The heat-cycle part isn't what costs, it's the shaving. Last time I looked on Tire Rack, I thought a heat- cycled set was the same price as a shaved non-heat-cycled set.

In any event, get them heat cycled. It's a pain, and darn hard to do right in the field.

Norm
    The ANTI-RICE

--
    13 Jan 2001 03:11 PM
    I ordered mine shaved from VILVEN TIRE CORP. (1-888-77-kumho)and spoke with BOB there. Tire Rack was BACKORDERED on my size.

Vilven does not heat cycle, but BOB was real helpfull. He told me the BEST way to do it yourself is to put them on, drive to heat them up, then find an OPEN, EMPTY parking lot and and do ALTERNATING figure "8's" then drive home and stack them on top of one another.

He then added, when your done, LABEL which tire was WHERE, and run OPPOSITES when you begin your AUTOX/SOLO runs. My 205/50/15 V700's are lasting me well, and im very pleased with them........soo much i bought the SUPRA 712 STREET TIRE! SCCAForums Image

Good luck,
    TOny

------------------
    96 GSR, Kills RICE in 4.96 seconds...

2000 STM Division SOLO2 class winner

Come visit MY world... [url="http://maxpsigsr.overboost.net"]http://maxpsigsr.overboost.net[/URL]
    Marsh

--
    14 Jan 2001 08:30 AM
    Kumho, BFG and Tire Rack all told me that 30 minutes on the freeway should be enough to heat cycle them. I through in an excessive number of off ramps for good measure, but it did seem to work.

------------------
    Marshall McLean
    [url="http://wosca.hompage.com"]Western Ontario Sports Car Association[/URL]
    97 Prelude Type SH
    SCCAForums Image
    Tom D

--
    14 Jan 2001 08:49 AM
    FWIW, I have used Kumho V700's for Solo II since 1996. I have tried them as many ways as you can think of and have seen no significant difference. IMO, heat cycling for Solo II is a waste of time and/or money. I am not a road racer, it might make a difference there.

Tom
    Solo 2 Dan

--
    16 Jan 2001 01:51 PM
    I have heard that you can just go on a few off ramps for a few times. Let them cool down and the do it again. Try that a few times and it should all work out. Just look out for cops. SCCAForums Image

Dan
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner