44 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
7racing

--
12 Jan 2001 07:33 AM
    There is a post in the IT section that begins with "the Secret Car Club of America." Interesting thought, why is an organization as large as SCCA considered a secret? What can be done to get the idea of SCCA amateur competition out to the public and potential sponsors?

With the start of NIRA and IDRA, there has been a huge amount of aftermarket and manufacturer support. Didn't production have that same appeal "back in the day?" What happened to it, and how do we get it back? IT, production, and a few open wheel classes could benefit greatly with some support from exhaust companies, suspension, wheels, engine management, etc, etc. SCCA should be able to be involved with the Import racing movement. IT and Production includes most of the cars that these other import organizations include (Honda, Acura, BMW, Mazda, VW). And the people running these cars are the 20-30yr olds that can be the future of SCCA. Let's find a way to get our club noticed by them.

------------------
    Jeremy Sheppard
    ITA Mazda RX7
    New England Region, SCCA
    SamITC85

--
    12 Jan 2001 10:06 AM
    Jeremy,
    I couldn't agree with you more. We, the SCCA, need to attract a younger crowd. Their are a couple of problems though. A: The cost of racing. As you know it isn't cheap to race no matter how shoestring a budget you run. B: Not many younger people know about the club unless their parents were involved. So how do we correct these problems. Like you said get some sponsorship, why not have a Regional weekend sponsored by Nuespeed, or GReddy or one of the other performance companies. Or even have them sponsor a race. At the beginning of the season the NER had race sponsors for certain classes but that seemed to have stopped by mid year. Another way to get the word out is to go to college campuses and try to get them involved as workers, racers, etc. As you know I got that going at UMass, now we hav gotten five new drivers into the SCCA in 3 years not to mention the ten to fifteen new members that have joined. That is only one school imagine going to other major universities the number of younger members will increase. Anyway, see you at NHIS in April, do you know if they are having the tech day again this coming March at Yankee Candle? Sam
    WIZARD Racing

--
    22 Jan 2001 03:34 PM
    Great subject Jeremy!

Short of putting SCCA ads on our street cars, I belive that I've got an idea.

First some info for those of you not familiar with the New England Region events. NER has a type of event I haven't been able to locate anywhere else yet. We have an event called "Racing Against Lukimia" (RAL) where NER has a club racing School & autocross school on Sat with a road rally Sat night, then Sun a club race & autocross. In Sept we have an event called the "Cheap Date Dbl Regional" where crew is "unlimited" & is $$ to race is the same as a single regional. Fun is mandatory.

What we can do here in NER is add the autocross & rally to the Cheap Date weekend, advertise it in advance in the papers inviting people as "honorary crew". If they are interested, or know someone who is.... we will have new members. Or we can take the some of the Cheap Date ideas & apply it to the RAL.

Now I hope people from other regions read this and it sparks some other ideas. I'd like to hear any other ideas.
    gecko

--
    23 Jan 2001 02:16 AM
    Speaking as a new member 01/01 & hoping not to offend, I might add that it is VERY difficult for folks to get hooked when it is so difficult for them to find out about or get into events. Out this way you've got to know someone & be on a crew list just to spectate. For the guy on the corner whose seen a little speedvision coverage & notices all the trailers heading to the local track its quite depressing to walk up to the trailer & be told, "Sorry only drivers & crew allowed".
    Guy on corner is now bummed & next thing you know he's hanging at the local short track (or cart track,drag strip), where he can get in,is made to feel welcome, & will most likely become a dedicated fan & supporter.. Just my opinion from someone who has been turned away numerous times (& climbed a few fences). Granted Solo2 is completely different & I've always been welcome. Spectators are key to building any sport & enticing corporate involvement.
    CamaroFS34
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jan 2001 03:40 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by gecko:
    [b]Speaking as a new member 01/01 & hoping not to offend, I might add that it is VERY difficult for folks to get hooked when it is so difficult for them to find out about or get into events. Out this way you've got to know someone & be on a crew list just to spectate. [/b]

This sounds more like a track problem than SCCA, but I could be wrong. Summit Point Raceway, for instance, allows anyone to watch races that take place there, for $20 for a weekend. Of course, if you're on a crew list, or if you're a worker, you don't have to pay.

I'm not sure, but I do *not* think that money goes to the renting club.

Karen Kraus
    1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (FS34)
    no, I'm *not* buying a Subaru!! SCCAForums Image

------------------
    "You never get away, you only get someplace else" -- Lovka's Dilemma
    BillW

--
    23 Jan 2001 04:28 AM
    [QUOTE]Anyway, see you at NHIS in April, do you know if they are having the tech day again this coming March at Yankee Candle? Sam

Sam, There is a Tech at Yankee Candle on March 24th from 9 to 3. I'm pretty sure that is the date. I'll check this evening. I'll be there with my new Spec Miata #54 SCCAForums Image

Regards, Bill

------------------
    Bill

SCCAForums Image
    Solo 2 Dan

--
    23 Jan 2001 09:55 AM
    I agree that the SCCA is an almost unhear of club. I am only 21 years old so I go to the dragstrip alot and talk about it and most people my age have never heard of the organization. Most people that I talk to about it are very interested. In the Chicago region we have a program called 'Speed Freaks'. It is a program designed for drivers ages 16 to 25 in an effort to get them to participate more and it gives them added discounts to many SCCA events. We try to encourage young racers to get involved. After all, in 10 years we'll be the ones in charge of all of this. SCCAForums Image Scary thought huh? SCCAForums Image

Dan
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    23 Jan 2001 10:39 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Solo 2 Dan:
    [b]. . . We try to encourage young racers to get involved. After all, in 10 years we'll be the ones in charge of all of this. SCCAForums Image Scary thought huh? SCCAForums Image [/b]

Very scary!! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

However, since I plan to actively participate in this sport as a centurian, I plan to maintain and ascend further to a leadership position in our local SCCA region so that I will not be the subject of age discrimination by you young'uns. SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Bob Hempy
    SoPac Cal Club GRA
    CSCC Solo2 E-Board Secretary
    PGM 1995 Z28 A4 (grocery getter)
    NBM 1998 Z28 M6 (autox car)
    SM #27
    7racing

--
    23 Jan 2001 12:49 PM
    A couple of responses here. At NHIS spectators can come in for $20. The money goes to the track, not the region. I suppose that this is the majority of the reason there is no promotion. NHIS has 2 Winston Cup dates which more than makes for a profitable year. They don't need to advertise for SCCA Club racing (although it is listed in the race season brochure).

Secondly, the Speed Freaks program is national SCCA. It is great, and geared towards the high school and college age kids.

(If that is the case, why don't more high schools and colleges know about it? The local circle tracks everyone knows about, why not SCCA?)

I'm encouraged to see younger people in this thread. If you have any ideas on how to spread the word, please let us know. I think that there is a lot of interest in how to move this club forward, and out of secrecy.

------------------
    Jeremy Sheppard
    ITA Mazda RX7
    New England Region, SCCA
    floridaracer

--
    23 Jan 2001 01:08 PM
    I am 22. I promote the local autocrossing by also being a member of a local Fbody car club, every week there are probably 30-40 cars that meet. Even with me telling them when every race is, and giving them all the info, they still dont show up. Their preception is "its too hard on the cars". I am slowly getting people to come check out the races, but its hard.

it also helps for me to make fun of their brand new cars. I say "its sad how a 20 year old camaro can out handle your new SS" and tell them to prove me wrong. It definately does get them more interested SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Mike - 80 Z/28
    Solo2 CP. soon to be Street Mod!
    [url="http://www.floridaracer.com"]www.floridaracer.com[/URL]
    Ken Grammer

--
    23 Jan 2001 06:09 PM
    Traditionally, our home office has been week on providing marketing materials and expertice to help the local regions. I believe that is all about to change for the better.

Our new Club President attended the Southeast Division Conference last weekend. To say that I am impressed would be a huge understatement. Mr. Johnson is certainly a very experienced marketing person. I believe we are about to experience some major advances in the marketing focus of the SCCA. We already have the Fram aliance and should start seeing Fram products with SCCA logos soon. And there are many more marketing aliences about to be announced.

In other words, I believe that Mr. Johnson is about to usher in a new era of SCCA awareness. We are about to "step out ot the closet". I'm very excited about the potential!

------------------
    Ken Grammer
    R.E. Alabama Region
    SEDiv AS Camaro #61
    Starter/F&C Worker
    Racy-Stacey

--
    23 Jan 2001 10:16 PM
    I California the is a surge in people who are becoming more aware of the SCCA. I have been with them for 5+ yrs and turned my best friend on to them and he did some flagging and got hooked and he got his father involed and he joined and then I joined the Southern California Probe Owners Club and made the club more aware SCCA. And there are 4 members who have joined. This is fine but too small a scale.. Here in So Cal we have a lot of young kids who are into fixing up there cars like racecars and we have embraced a term. "Ricers" . This is a spin off of what we called "Rice Rockets" for forgin motorcycles. Anyhoo. These "Ricers" People who drive non-domestic, modified cars are not being made aware of the possiblities available to them through the SCCA. Thats the big market out here. They fix up their cars and street race. A: this gets them into trouble and makes the roads unsafe. Lots of power + no training = Dead ricer.. or dead domestic, for that matter. SCCA banners should be posted where ever performance parts can be sold. Events such as the Autocross (Solo2) should be promoted.. # cheers for whoever came up with creating the STS class.. This is the biggest market out here and should be exploited..

OK OK (stepping off the soap box)
    Everyone - Thanks for listening! SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Toodles,
    Stacey_B [url="http://www.scpoc.com/Car%20Profiles/stacey.htm"]1990PGL[/URL] SCCA sts "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club: [url="http://www.SCPOC.com"]www.scpoc.com[/URL] : [url="http://www.nepoprobes.com"]www.nepoprobes.com[/URL] No-Buck Racing
    "Real race cars dont have Tinted windows and 1000watt stereo systems"
    HEMIDAYTNA

--
    24 Jan 2001 04:26 PM
    i am new to the SCCA. i know that you have to have rules, but maybe there ar too many rules. i for one am finding it very hard to get started. so instead i go to club track days & get tons of track time. Or attend other racing venues. I find that local scca people in my area do not want to lend a hand to point me in the right direction. When i call & ask a question i get "go to the web, you answer will be there" So i get fustrated and look & look & look. For instance last year there was a driving school in my area, i could not attend the school but i could stop by to get my car teched. I call the person in charge & was told i could not tech my car...Maybe things like this is why the SCCA is a secret
    floridaracer

--
    24 Jan 2001 06:34 PM
    Yes, the SCCA has many rules, but this isnt heads up drag racing. We try to keep the playing field level, and the rules do a very very good job at that (most of the time).

I do agree with finding helpful people can be very hard. It took me almost a year to find local autocross races in my area (south florida). I even called and faxed my solo director numerous times, with no replies. turned out our local SCCA has nothing to do with any type of Solo down here. But, with that said, there are people that can be very very very helpful, but it can be hard finding them. Just dont give up.

HEMIDAYTNA> what type of SCCA racing are you looking to get into? You found the right place for questions SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Mike - 80 Z/28
    Solo2 CP. soon to be Street Mod!
    [url="http://www.floridaracer.com"]www.floridaracer.com[/URL]
    Matt Gent

--
    24 Jan 2001 07:57 PM
    I'm 22, been at it since I got my drivers license. I actually got my dad started in it, and we have been sharing rides the whole time.

I don't know what the distinction is, but people just don't think their car is capable and/or worthy of attending an autocross, yet they'll bring it out to a test-n-tune night at the drag strip in a second. Everyone gets excited when I tell them about my weekend but backs off when I want them to run too.

I start by telling them to just come out and watch an event to see whats happening. The usual reaction is they start a list of parts in their head that they need on their car before they can race. Some are worried about damaging the car, others think they'll get creamed.

The few who have actually entered an event get crushed in their class because they don't know how to drive. Add to that the confusion of classing, getting beat by a stock civic, and getting lost on the course when they didn't show up early enough. We all started there, but the initial discouragement is hard to get over for the typical street racer who always thinks he has a chance. And the "haves vs the have nots" (R tires that is).

I'd say the best way to get mass involvement is get one of the known "names" in the compact scene to run a year of autocross somewhat successfully, or at least a car backed by one of the major companies. The magazine is their bible. SCC always includes handling in their build-ups but there is little to no actual event or race car coverage. A concerted and focused marketing effort could bring about this change. It has started already, the StreetMod Supra was covered recently.

Road racing is a whole nuther ballgame. Lots of money and commitment just to get in the door. Building from the solo program up can establish a base of new, younger members.
    Peter Olivola

--
    25 Jan 2001 06:58 AM
    You're encountering a direct form of the reason why there are more people on the spectator side of the fence than in the drivers seat at races. Racing, even autocrossing, aren't for everyone. The sport tends to be self selecting. Sometimes a few get in who shouldn't and we try to help them see that they would be better off with a different hobby, but for the most part, if you're too afraid, you don't belong on the track.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt Gent:
    [b]I'm 22, been at it since I got my drivers license. I actually got my dad started in it, and we have been sharing rides the whole time.

I don't know what the distinction is, but people just don't think their car is capable and/or worthy of attending an autocross, yet they'll bring it out to a test-n-tune night at the drag strip in a second. Everyone gets excited when I tell them about my weekend but backs off when I want them to run too.

I start by telling them to just come out and watch an event to see whats happening. The usual reaction is they start a list of parts in their head that they need on their car before they can race. Some are worried about damaging the car, others think they'll get creamed.

The few who have actually entered an event get crushed in their class because they don't know how to drive. Add to that the confusion of classing, getting beat by a stock civic, and getting lost on the course when they didn't show up early enough. We all started there, but the initial discouragement is hard to get over for the typical street racer who always thinks he has a chance. And the "haves vs the have nots" (R tires that is).

I'd say the best way to get mass involvement is get one of the known "names" in the compact scene to run a year of autocross somewhat successfully, or at least a car backed by one of the major companies. The magazine is their bible. SCC always includes handling in their build-ups but there is little to no actual event or race car coverage. A concerted and focused marketing effort could bring about this change. It has started already, the StreetMod Supra was covered recently.

Road racing is a whole nuther ballgame. Lots of money and commitment just to get in the door. Building from the solo program up can establish a base of new, younger members.[/b]
    SCCA kid

--
    25 Jan 2001 09:27 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 7racing:
    [b]Secondly, the Speed Freaks program is national SCCA. It is great, and geared towards the high school and college age kids.

(If that is the case, why don't more high schools and colleges know about it? The local circle tracks everyone knows about, why not SCCA?)

[/b]

7racing - BIG kudos to you for posting this topic: it's one I've thought about for a long time now, but haven't gotten around to putting my ideas on paper. I have MANY thoughts on this issue, too many to fully discuss here, but as a 16 year old Solo2 competitor and road race photographer I think I shall submit an article to SportsCar magazine about this issue.

The SCCA doesn't advertise their SpeedFreakz program at all - the kids are the future of SCCA as the average age of the SCCA member increases and the Club seems to be ever more secretive. I hope that Steven Johnson will take measures to ensure that SCCA does not due to a simple lack of awareness.

I come from a racing background and I have a passion for cars so it is not spectacular that I'm 16 and a member already... However, kids my age that are interested in cars have never heard of SCCA, nor do they have any concept that such a thing exists. I just started an SCCA chapter in my San Francisco high school, and after showing a video of me autocrossing I think I drummed up some interest: it may not get anyone new out on track but now about 5 more high school kids are AWARE of SCCA's existance. A friend might even come autocross his Integra with me SCCAForums Image

I'm going to write an article/letter to submit to SportsCar and hopefully we will see an influx of younger members in the years to come!
    Trys_Hard

--
    25 Jan 2001 11:15 AM
    As a new SCCA member (just got my card on 1/24) I agree with the comment that SCCA has an awareness problem. Even though I have known about the SCCA for at least as long as I remember. Mainly because I am a Road Racing Fan. I wasn't aware of the local programs available. It wasn't until this last New Year's when my brother, who is a member of a Jensen Healy Club, mentioned Autocross. Also being a computer nerd I was able to get alot of the info off the net. But the big help was from the local region and David Avard who is the local novice mentor. I am now hooked! I've bought my Kuhmo's, gotten a points card and signed up for membership in the SCCA all before attending my first event (except the Kuhmo's, I had them before my second WE lol). I may be unusual but just in my circle of friends I think the SCCA will pick up at least 4 new members. I don't think it is enough just to get the SCCA name out there you have to emphasize the local events that anyone can participate in. This is where autocross and Novice divisions come into play. By competeing in the Novice division there isn't that sense of helplessness that often comes into play when you participate in a new sport. If golf can get the masses out there playing then the SCCA should be successful also with the right "Grass Roots Participation" promotions.

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES

[/list]

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited January 25, 2001).]
    The Crew Dude

--
    25 Jan 2001 12:08 PM
    In the SEDIV to spectate at most race w/e all you need to do is go to registration and sign in under you membership. This not true generally at Moroso but at Sebring, Daytona, Roebling this has been true. But at other tracks it has taken an act of congress to get in even though you are a member and are listed on someones over-crew.
    I agree that things need to change to allow spectators but at what cost. To my knowledge it cost more to insure 1 grandstand at Daytona than it does to rent the facility.
    If you want to go see some of the best racing when not crewing go work a corner station. The people are great,and you get the best seat in the house.
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    25 Jan 2001 01:35 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt Gent:
    [b] The few who have actually entered an event get crushed in their class because they don't know how to drive. Add to that the confusion of classing, getting beat by a stock civic, and getting lost on the course when they didn't show up early enough. We all started there, but the initial discouragement is hard to get over for the typical street racer who always thinks he has a chance. [/b]

I have driven compact and subcompact cars on the autox course, but IMNSHO there is nothing to compare with the adrenaline rush that comes from driving a high performance car on an autox course. For my own part, I am not sure I could go back to driving compact cars after the experience of horsepower and torque. SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

Even driving a **stock** Camaro/Firebird or Corvette is a rush to me. However, last weekend I got the chance to ride shotgun with a veteran autoxer acquaintance in his setup '91 Corvette 383 putting out 450 horsepower at the wheels. Wow, that car just explodes!! What a rush. SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

However, for the newcomer to autox who happens to own a high performance car, and who is used to the attraction/advantages of that car at the drag strip or on the street, there is often a humbling experience that comes with his first experiences with autox events. SCCAForums Image

Solo2 competition is so much more driver skills intensive than anything the newcomer might have experienced in the past. Perhaps he belongs to a local high performance car enthusiast club, and his previous experiences have been drag race and stoplight oriented. SCCAForums Image

However, a newcomer to autox may find himself posting times with his high performance car that are significantly slower than an experienced driver in the same car a fortiori an experienced driver in a subcompact. There is something humbling about owning a Corvette and getting outdriven by someone in a Ford Focus!! Perhaps this is why when some of the so-called hot rodders come to their first autox, they may silently leave with their tail between their legs after their proverbial genitals are handed to them on a platter by their own mental comparison to that experienced driver in the Ford Focus who finished right after him and was breathing down his neck on the course??? SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Bob Hempy
    SoPac Cal Club GRA
    CSCC Solo2 E-Board Secretary
    PGM 1995 Z28 A4 (grocery getter)
    NBM 1998 Z28 M6 (autox car)
    SM #27

[This message has been edited by NBM LS1 M6 (edited January 25, 2001).]
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner