Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages
WildManPiet
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
17 Feb 2001 09:23 PM
Well of course they like dragracing, and they want you "light em up"

Dragracing a street car isnt that frigging hard... So these skillless people can say they race.

as far as asking to "light em up", it seems apparent that they lack the mentality that would be good for the SCCA. That statement makes me think the person is reckless, nad doesnt really understand that tires are meant to have traction otherwise we would be riding around on rims so we could just spin the tires all day.

Just what we need is some nitwit coming out to an autox, slamming on the gas instead of the break and going off course and killing themselves or a worker. I would like my region to keep being able to have races.
floridaracer

--
17 Feb 2001 09:32 PM
[QUOTE]it seems apparent that they lack the mentality that would be good for the SCCA.

this also is something im very afraid of when I invite people to a local autocross. When inviting people, we must also make sure they have enough sense and responsibility to obey the rules. after all, even solo2 takes skills you never learn on a drag strip.

------------------
Mike - 80 Z/28
Solo2 CP. soon to be Street Mod!
[url="http://www.floridaracer.com wrote:
www.floridaracer.com[/URL]
IPRESS

--
18 Feb 2001 09:19 AM
I think you guys are putting the whole compact car group under a negative light. Part of SCCA's mission should be to influence drivers to compete safely. For the most part I think SCCA does that. Getting the drag crowd involved (turn them into road racers nad autoxers,) would be great for the club. Or SCCA can just get older and older and older and.............
MGB-GT

--
20 Feb 2001 10:21 AM
Lets not forget that things are alot different than the days of the explosion of sports car racing. Back then, One did less to their Production or Sedan racer, than you do today to a Showroom Stock car. Safety items were overalls soaked in borax, a roll hoop (maybe) behind the driver, lap belts (maybe) and a brain bucket. You drove to the track in the car, added numbers and classification, taped up your headlights, and hit the track.
In an article about Bob Tulius, his start in racing is described as his sneaking out to Marlboro Raceway in his wifes car without telling her. Blame the cal club, blame the interest of safety, or blame denver, but there is no way one could do the same today. The price of entry, even for the entry classes, is just too steep.
As far as autocrossing goes, remember that whether one wants them on the course or not, those who have made engine, as opposed to suspension modifications, are the most severely punished. Do head or cam work, go directly to Prepared, do not pass SP. However, a suspension that would make Colin Chapman envious might just land you in street prepared. I thought handling was much more important than horsepower anyway.
Finally, remember that nowadays, drag strips and ovals (depending on area) are alot more plentiful than road courses. The death of blue laws have also driven clubs to go more and more out of the way to find locations to hold events.
--
Gregory Nagy
SmokeyBear

--
20 Feb 2001 04:12 PM
From my point of view (1-year member, about to renew) the "secret" is in the alphabet soup!

Try reading Sports Car sometime and imagine your are reading it for the first time. Each time you come to an alpha abbrev. (BOD, RE, ER, ERA, SEDiv, LOL, ETC) try to imagine what the it stands for. Seven times out of ten, there is nothing in the article/story to give a clue. Especially in the FastTrack!!

Can somebody tell me where I can find all these abbreviations and definitions of same? that would sure lift a lot of the "secrecy."

My $.02 worth.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner