I know its not macho but ....
 13 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trys_Hard

--
18 Jan 2001 07:02 PM
    I autox in an automatic trans car. I am new to this sport and even though it was my first time ever autocrossing except for the day before in practice I was able to finish within 6.5 sec of my class leader in ES. And that was with running out of gas on my best lap. I foolishly thought that if I only had a few gallons of gas it would make me faster. I forgot how those sweepers can take all your gas to one side of the tank.
    But back to my point. I understand that the preffered trans is a manual. Sorry but I can't afford two cars at this time. No place to put a second one. SCCAForums Image
    But I feel that if I can learn to develope a different technique of driving that I can compete and even maybe sometimes win. SCCAForums Image
    Someone out there must be able to help me with a few tips, I am very impatient, probably why I like to drive fast. I've read Henry Watts book, I joined the SCCA, No Buck Car Club in SoCal, gotten a points card, had experience drivers drive with me and drive my car. Only .2 sec faster than I was, he wasn't used to the AT. Any help would be appreciated! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES

[/list]
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    18 Jan 2001 07:36 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Trys_Hard:
    [b]I autox in an automatic trans car. I am new to this sport and even though it was my first time ever autocrossing except for the day before in practice I was able to finish within 6.5 sec of my class leader in ES. And that was with running out of gas on my best lap. I foolishly thought that if I only had a few gallons of gas it would make me faster. [/b]

The amount of gasoline in the tank is a key issue. The amount of oil in the crankcase is another key issue.

This may be a bit of a car model specific issue. However, those of us who drive Camaro/Firebirds want our gas tanks full because the tank isn't baffled. I top off at the nearest gas station prior to arrival at an event. Fuel starvation conceivably can damage a fuel pump or the engine. Running out of gas with our cars (Camaros) often is fatal to the fuel pump.

I fill the crankcase 1/2 quart above factory specifications for full. The LS1 engine is the same engine that goes in the C5 Corvette. It went into the Corvette in 1997 and it went into the Camaro/Firebird the following model year One of the serious problems they encountered in the R&D of the LS1 engine had to do with oil starvation in lateral acceleration/skidpad situations.

Last Fall, I was speaking with one of the road course instructors at Buttonwillow Raceway. He stated that they are still working on the issue of oil starvation in versions of the LS1 engine used in road racing.

There is also some evidence that the pre-2001 versions of the LS1 engine have a defective PCV system that leads to excessive oil consumption.

[QUOTE][b] Someone out there must be able to help me with a few tips, I am very impatient, probably why I like to drive fast. . . Any help would be appreciated! [/b]

Oh. . . I'll bet a lot of us can identify with that feeling. However, that is where the combination of practice, instruction, reflection, seat time, and then repeating the previous over and over probably are essential. I am sure there are few or no shortcuts, and that is where we all need to control our impatience. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Bob Hempy
    SoPac Cal Club GRA
    CSCC Solo2 E-Board Secretary
    PGM 1995 Z28 A4 (grocery getter)
    NBM 1998 Z28 M6 (autox car)
    SM #27
    Trys_Hard

--
    18 Jan 2001 07:47 PM
    That is an excellent point. I wonder if anyone knows if the DSM 2.0L are susceptable to this problem?

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES

[/list]
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    18 Jan 2001 08:09 PM
    [b]That is an excellent point. I wonder if anyone knows if the DSM 2.0L are susceptable to this problem? [/b]

Well. . . I consider it valuable information to know the various technical specifics and eccentricities of one's car. I would imagine some of these issues carry over to other types of cars, and that is why I mention it.

I guess I am in my comfort zone with the 4th Generation Camaro/Firebird. I know many of the issues related to aftermarket parts, maintenance, and upkeep.

At some point in the future, I would like to acquire another FWD car and compete in autox events with the same. I would be lost and starting at square one when it comes to maintenance, modifications, aftermarket parts outlet locations, and upkeep.

Bob
    neonmike22

--
    19 Jan 2001 10:25 AM
    He's got a 2nd gen Naturally aspirated Talon right? It should be using the Chrysler 420A engine, not the Mitsubishi 4G6.

Neons come with the 420A engine as well. Neon owners do the opposite of what NBM suggested. We usually run the car 1/2 to 1 quart low on oil, to prevent aeration which is fatal to the valvetrain.
    Trys_Hard

--
    19 Jan 2001 11:27 AM
    Yes, I have an early 95 2G Talon, 2.0L DOHC with 16v. Any info on problems would be very helpful, as I also use this car as my "Grocery Getter" as Bob puts it! lol
    Thanks,

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES

[/list]

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited January 19, 2001).]
    Anubis

--
    19 Jan 2001 06:31 PM
    I have an automatic also, 2 reasons:

1)I suck at driving stick.
    2)I don't want a stick in Atlanta traffic.

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    Black96Cobra

--
    19 Jan 2001 10:33 PM
    There is a local guy here that runs in an automatic '92 Z28. He generally places well in his class, and he can sure beat me and my 5 speed!

It's more about going out and having fun than anything else.

------------------
    -Craig
    1996 Mustang Cobra
    Trys_Hard

--
    20 Jan 2001 08:41 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Black96Cobra:
    [b]There is a local guy here that runs in an automatic '92 Z28. He generally places well in his class, and he can sure beat me and my 5 speed!

[/b]

Yes but a Z28 has gobs of torque. My poor little 2.0L doesn't. I'm cursed though. I bought some Kuhmo V700's and I was faster. The gear ratio worked better with the smaller diameter Kuhmo's. But I didn't notice until after dark that my AC was on the whole practice today. Its got this little light and with my sunglasses on I didn't notice. SCCAForums Image Man I'm going to have to start a check list!

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES

[/list]
    Axoid

--
    22 Jan 2001 04:01 AM
    Trys_Hard,
    You might try left foot braking. It's something I do when I drive a car with an automatic hard. I'll brake with the left foot when going into a turn hard and start rolling back on the throttle be for I back off the brake.

------------------
    Bill
    Ohio Valley Region SCCA
    92 Camaro RS
    305 M5
    Kumho 712
    Trys_Hard

--
    22 Jan 2001 05:55 PM
    Bill,
    Thanks for the Tip! Finally something that may help. I have been trying but its weird pushing on the brake with your left foot. But this is something that you can practice on the street.

Thanks,

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES

[/list]
    Solo 2 Dan

--
    23 Jan 2001 10:06 AM
    I would do two footed driving as well. I hear that when you brake into a corner like that it is good cause your keeping weight on the front tires through the corner which would give you better grip. Makes sense to me. Never tried it though.

Dan

------------------
    Dan

1994 Z-28~~~>ESP class
    Trys_Hard

--
    23 Jan 2001 11:02 AM
    Yes,
    Also with a FWD car this should allow the rear end to come around faster and allow you to get pointed in the correct direction for full application of throttle.

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES

[/list]
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jan 2001 10:05 PM
    [b]I have been trying but its weird pushing on the brake with your left foot. But this is something that you can practice on the street.[/b]

Important note: Pracitce your left foot braking in non-critical situations on the street. This means, not in traffic, not while pushing on a winding mountain road, etc.

Admittedly, if you haven't been driving a stick for a while, your left foot isn't used to the digital application that a clutch normally requires (you're only progressive on a clutch on the release portion of the travel.). BUT, it will take some time before your left foot isn't digital in emergencies.

------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner