25 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
BMWRacerITS

--
23 Jan 2001 10:09 AM
    Any of you folks heading down to spectate?

This will be my first trip. Will be down there on Friday to observe the Motorola Cup race as I may drive/crew a couple races next year in a previously retired MCup BMW M3.

During the 24, I'll be around the Genisis Racing pits. Bill Auberlen will be driving for the team in an E46 (newer body style) M3, while the team will also campaign an E36 (older style of GT3 fame) M3.

Look for a 4.0 liter V8-powered M3 to show up as well, campainged by Schnitzer and Bell. The V8 M3 just might have the torque to overcome the Porsches' aero advantage in the ALMS this year.

Here's to BMW beating the crap out of the Porsches! SCCAForums Image
    Solo 2 Dan

--
    23 Jan 2001 10:16 AM
    Geez, I wish I were going!! If I didnt have school I honestly probably would. I would just love to be in Daytona this time of year let alone be there for that race. Do you know where I could find a schedule of those races? I would love to go and see one over the summer.

Dan

Here is to Corvette's beating the crap out of Porsches and BMW's!!! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image
    BMWRacerITS

--
    23 Jan 2001 11:43 AM
    Yeah, I'm having to skip classes to make it.

Luckily, my only Friday class is Volleyball, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. SCCAForums Image

For good racing over the summer, look to attend and of the following events, many that are held in conjuntion with each other:

These two often hold events together, Grand-Am being faster, more developed race cars, Motorola Cup is an endurance series for more street oriented cars. Both are GREAT racing.
    Grand-Am: [url="http://www.grandamracing.com/events.html"]http://www.grandamracing.com/events.html[/URL]
    Motorola Cup: [url="http://www.motorolacup.com/"]http://www.motorolacup.com/[/URL]

These organizations often race on the same weekend as well (Don Panoz owns TA and ALMS).ALMS is the premier Sportscar racing series in the U.S., with Panoz, Audi, etc participating, as well as Vettes, Vipers, Saleens, M3's and Porsches. Trans-Am is Trans-Am. World Challenge is America's answer to Touring Car racing. Great fun, and an eventual goal of mine.
    ALMS: [url="http://www.americanlemans.com/pages/00races/index.html"]http://www.americanlemans.com/pages/00races/index.html[/URL]
    TransAm: [url="http://www.trans-amseries.com/01schedule.html"]http://www.trans-amseries.com/01schedule.html[/URL]
    Speedvision World Challenge: [url="http://www.speedvisionwc.com/01-calendar.html"]http://www.speedvisionwc.com/01-calendar.html[/URL]

As far as the Vettes beating the BMW's and P-Cars at Daytona, I sure hope they do to considering they are in a higher class. SCCAForums Image
    Ken Grammer

--
    23 Jan 2001 06:16 PM
    I'll be there working start for HSR. I also run select Motorola Cup races when the funds are available. No such luck so far this year! SCCAForums Image

See ya there!

------------------
    Ken Grammer
    R.E. Alabama Region
    SEDiv AS Camaro #61
    Starter/F&C Worker
    Anubis

--
    23 Jan 2001 08:34 PM
    That's the wonderful thing about an endurance race...class don't mean squat in overall positions. Too many things happen too fast and whole lotta stuff breaks SCCAForums Image

If you check out the speedvision board at [url="http://www.sccapro.com"]www.sccapro.com[/URL] you'll find a list being kept up of all the folks from SVWC GT and Touring participating.

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    Anubis

--
    23 Jan 2001 08:35 PM
    Ken, you gotta learn the fine art of finances...have checks, have money SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    Solo 2 Dan

--
    24 Jan 2001 09:07 AM
    Thanks for all the sites! I have 5 new bookmarks now and new plans for the summer! SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Dan Kerkstra
    Chicago region SCCA member

1994 Z-28 6 speed~~~>ESP class
    BMWRacerITS

--
    24 Jan 2001 10:33 AM
    I'll be attending the Pro races that I can. Unfortunately my summer is pretty full racing with SARRC, NASA, HSR, BMW CCA, and Porsche Club...its a rough life, but somebody's gotta do it.

------------------
    -Bryan Watts
    '92 325is ITS
    '95 M3
    [b]There are only three sports: bullfighting, [i]motor racing[/i], and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.[/b]
    -Ernest Hemingway
    Anubis

--
    24 Jan 2001 08:14 PM
    Sweet Bryan, look forward to seein ya at the SARRC's. You gonna be runnin at Road Atlanta at the beginning of March?

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    BMWRacerITS

--
    24 Jan 2001 08:38 PM
    I'll be there assuming I can get the engine back into the car and everything else buttoned back up. Right now I'm on schedule, but you never know when it comes to cars..."last minute" is my middle name.

Also, I gotta make sure that the date doesn't conflict with any big tests here at school. I've gotta keep the grades up so I can get a decent job in order to pay my dad back for the rising racing bill. SCCAForums Image Luckily, he's the one that got me into this, so he doesn't mind fronting the cost for right now.

Look forward to catching you at the track.
    The Crew Dude

--
    25 Jan 2001 08:55 AM
    For the first time in 10 years I am going to miss the 24@Daytona. What a bummer! If you are there root for the 09 AGT Camaro of The Spirit Of Daytona. These guys are real grassroots racers. Also Paul Newman will be there in the Gunner Posche GT1 and the Earnhardts in the #3 Corvette both in GTS?.

GOOD LUCK SCCAForums Image
    Dave Ebersole

--
    26 Jan 2001 09:27 AM
    I'm going to get there Friday night. I have to be in Jacksonville the following week for business so I'm "saving the company some airfare" by going Friday and staying the weekend. By the way, I'm cheering for the private Porsche teams to kick some factory BMW butt!
    BMWRacerITS

--
    26 Jan 2001 11:41 AM
    I don't think that there will be any factory BMW teams at the Daytona. Schnitzer runs the factory team and doesn't appear on the entry list. I don't even believe PTG will be running any of their cars. Looks like a complete privateer BMW effort...with Genesis Racing being my favorite (mostly because they are getting me into the race as crew). The BMW teams in participation will be Genisis Racing, Safina Racing, and JET Motorsports.

Heck, in the end, any 3.6 liter Porsche sportscar that finishes behind a boxy 3.2 liter BMW sedan should be embarrassed. SCCAForums Image I think thats why I enjoy racing BMW's...its always fun to pass a sportscar in a luxery sedan!
    Dave Ebersole

--
    29 Jan 2001 10:48 AM
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Bill Auberlin will be co-driving a V8-powered M3 for the Rolex. Since that iteration isn't available to the public yet, it seems hardly fair.
    Dave
    BMWRacerITS

--
    29 Jan 2001 08:36 PM
    Bill won't be the driver driving the V8 car (I only know this because I will be crewing for the team that Bill is driving for). The V8 car running in the Daytona is a one-off using an M5 engine.

What the heck, I'll just copy an email I recieved straight from the horse's mouth of someone who was hanging around the PTG shop the other day.

Per Woody:
    [QUOTE]PTG has built a E46 m3 for Bell Motorsports/Tony Jennings. It will run in
    the Grand American Sports Car series (or whatever it's called this year) with the first race the Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona next weekend. The car will have a 5 liter "production" M5 engine. They actually have 5 engines right now. Changes from a bon-stock M5 engine include titanium rods, pistons, cams, and a dry-sump oiling system. Stock head. Milner estimated a 15%
    increase in power from the 400 stock engine. Drivers at Daytona will be
    Boris Said, Hans Stuck, Terry Borcheller, and Tony Jennings. The engine is supposed be be only 15 lbs heavier than the M3 6-cylinder. They actually attached the transmission and were trying to install the engine in the car while we were there.

The new E46 M3s that PTG and the Schnitzer team will run in the ALMS are not expected to be completed until after Sebring (the 2nd on the calendar). They will have a Motorsports designed and built 4-liter V8 racing engine with no relation to the production V8. Milner said it will be the smallest V8 you've ever seen. The engines and engine work will all be provided by M
    out of Germany. Each team will only have two cars (no spares), built in Germany, based on the cars than Milner built last year.

There are some great pictures from the trip that Woody and some other BMW folks took to the PTG shop at: [url="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1342632&a=11222268 wrote:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1342632&a=11222268[/URL]

I'm already excited about getting down there.

[This message has been edited by BMWRacerITS (edited January 29, 2001).]
    Dave Ebersole

--
    30 Jan 2001 08:54 AM
    So is this 5.0L V8-powered M3 racing in the GT class? Is Grand Am a "run what ya brung" series? This car should probably be in the GTS class with the 'Vettes and Vipers. Or they should let the 911's run turbos. The 1.4 formula would put a 3.6L engine right at 5040cc. I bet they don't do that.
    Dave
    BMWRacerITS

--
    30 Jan 2001 10:08 AM
    I'm not really sure what the rules are. I can tell you that the V8 powerplant will "only" be making about 450hp, which is right in line with the Porsches.

Before the change, the BMW's were running a 3.2 putting out about 420hp, though they were handgrenades and had no torque whatsoever.

It will be interesting to see why this engine is being allowed. Also should be interesting to see how the 4.0liter V8 engine is being allowed in ALMS. Has ALMS made a special allowance to bring parity or does BMW plan to introduce a few V8's into some street cars?

The Porsches already have a weight, aerodynamic, and downforce advantage over the BMW sedan, so any whining that the BMW has a bigger engine doesn't hold much weight for me.
    Anubis

--
    30 Jan 2001 07:53 PM
    Sometimes a sanctioning body will bend the rules a bit to allow a manufacturer to 1)come out and play or 2)be more competitive. If it will get a rivalvry going in a class then everyone benefits.... for instance the 333SP was let in 'cause they wanted Ferrari to play. At the time the motor rules for engines that were produced for the road... Ferrari said the motor was going to be used in FUTURE cars. Sanctioning bodies went along with it.

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    Dave Ebersole

--
    31 Jan 2001 05:21 AM
    This is the reason that the 4L engine is allowed in the ALMS. BMW has gone to the ACO to allow it for Le Mans since the configuration will go into production this year. Since the ACO is allowing it, ALMS must since they use the same rules. I don't have a problem with that. I think letting a 5L version that will probably never see production race in a series that is supposed to be production-based is a little crazy though, but that is Bill France for you. You also should understand that the reason that Porsche is kept on a competitive level in these series is that they build most of the cars that comete in the GT class. Can you go to BMW and buy a car capable of winning the GT class? Anyone with the bucks can go to Porsche and buy a competitive car. This is what killed IMSA. There were a multitude of 962s running for years. When they were unable to compete and the two Nissans and then two Toyotas dominated, you ended up with five or six car races. Nobody went, nobody watched.
    Dave
    Alex Tziortzis
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 Jan 2001 01:56 PM
    Check out car #30 in the GT class (Ferrari). It will be running the new Kumho 18 inch race slick.

Alex
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner