Results for AS at nationals
 17 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SVTCOBRA2001

--
01 Oct 2003 01:41 PM
    I am looking to see how the 03' Cobra did in Ks. does someone have a link or something that lists the results for the AS class. I am finding that finding results is like my last visit to the dentist. I am also looking for the results for ESP..

Thanks
    ConeFusion

--
    01 Oct 2003 01:54 PM
    It's not that hard. Go to http://www.scca.com , click on National Championship under Solo, then on Daily Results, then whatever class you're interested in. AS and ESP:

http://www.scca.com/amateur/solo2/nationals/2003/results/groups/as.html
    http://www.scca.com/amateur/solo2/nationals/2003/results/groups/esp.html
    The_Winch
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Oct 2003 03:26 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by SVTCOBRA2001:
    I am looking to see how the 03' Cobra did in Ks.
    The Molleker's decided not to go to Nationals. No one else has tried to compete for trophies in them at a national solo event.

This car needs to be reclassed from AS to something lower (though BS isn't that much slower). Unfortunately, 10,000 cars a year are going to be going nowhere in autocross... unless an open class national champion contending driver (like Stacey Molleker) decides to waste a year and a good amount of money running them at lots of NT, ProSolos and Nationals so that the SCCA can figure out if Dave Schotz and Chris Lindberg were right... that the car needs to be in F Stock because it's huge weight (particularly on the front end)... outweigh the gains due to wider wheels and excessive HP.
    SVTCOBRA2001

--
    03 Oct 2003 10:18 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff Winchell:
    I am looking to see how the 03' Cobra did in Ks.
    The Molleker's decided not to go to Nationals. No one else has tried to compete for trophies in them at a national solo event.

This car needs to be reclassed from AS to something lower (though BS isn't that much slower). Unfortunately, 10,000 cars a year are going to be going nowhere in autocross... unless an open class national champion contending driver (like Stacey Molleker) decides to waste a year and a good amount of money running them at lots of NT, ProSolos and Nationals so that the SCCA can figure out if Dave Schotz and Chris Lindberg were right... that the car needs to be in F Stock because it's huge weight (particularly on the front end)... outweigh the gains due to wider wheels and excessive HP. I totally agree with you on the FS.. The Camaro has a distinct atvantage in teh HP and Torque area over the Mutangs and all the other FS cars. I think the 03 Cobra would be a good fit. Oh well. We are just the little people and don't seem to be heard all that much.. Maybe someday.. I have been looking at the 03' as being a good ESP car. If Dave can make a 95R into a champ, then an 03' should be able to compete on that level.(Drivers ability the only hold back.) They have access to the same parts and have the benit of the super charger. Unbelievable torque curve..

Thanks for the links. I thought I was in that section but must have missed it... Kind of blind lately..
    The_Winch
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Oct 2003 11:14 AM
    [b]I have been looking at the 03' as being a good ESP car. If Dave can make a 95R into a champ, then an 03' should be able to compete on that level.(Drivers ability the only hold back.) They have access to the same parts and have the benit of the super charger. Unbelievable torque curve..[/b]
    I think exploration is fun.

But my other side will warn you like I did Dave when he talked to me at the '02 Nationals about running an '03 Cobra in ESP... it weighs too much. The engine weighs a couple hundred lbs more than other V8 Mustang engines, and the transmission is another extra 45 lbs or so (I suppose it's possible to bolt the T45 transmission (from the non-supercharged modular motors) on it, but the T45 is only rated for 400 torque at the flywheel, so you risk breaking the transmission.

But it would still be fun to try, and also to see how you could find ways to offset the weight on the nose. And of course, driving skill matters more (it was embarrassing when Dave would beat me in 2002 in his FS Mustang... even for simple things like a launch at a ProSolo).
    SVTCOBRA2001

--
    08 Oct 2003 11:45 AM
    I wonder what the exact weight differance is between the 5.4 that Dave is runing compared to the iron 4.6? I will really have to look into it. I am a strong believer in the benifit of the IRS. I ran a buddy's Bullit which is supose to be a real upgrade compared to the GT and posted much better times with my 01' Cobra. I was really having severe HP problems on the Cobra too. Hmm. I do hear you about the weight differane. Dave, if you are reading this, what does your 95R weight. Ford should be replacing my 01' with the 03' by the end of the month. I should be able to get a weight in about 2000 miles after that when I take it to the track. The Hard part is keeping it classed for Stock or even ESP. The 03' Cobra just screems to be Modified... I am hoping to make a trip down south and watch Dave run this next season. I see that as a real learning experience.
    SixPack

--
    08 Oct 2003 01:52 PM
    I wonder what the exact weight differance is between the 5.4 that Dave is runing compared to the iron 4.6? I will really have to look into it. I am a strong believer in the benifit of the IRS. I ran a buddy's Bullit which is supose to be a real upgrade compared to the GT and posted much better times with my 01' Cobra. I was really having severe HP problems on the Cobra too. Hmm. I do hear you about the weight differane. Dave, if you are reading this, what does your 95R weight. Ford should be replacing my 01' with the 03' by the end of the month. I should be able to get a weight in about 2000 miles after that when I take it to the track. The Hard part is keeping it classed for Stock or even ESP. The 03' Cobra just screems to be Modified... I am hoping to make a trip down south and watch Dave run this next season. I see that as a real learning experience.
    FYI Dave is running 5.7 not a 5.4. It weight at least 200 lbsless then the iron clad 4.6 DOHC. Remember its also a pushrod engine not Modular, so subtract weight of cams extra large heads blower and the iron.
    SVTCOBRA2001

--
    09 Oct 2003 08:43 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by SixPack:
    I wonder what the exact weight differance is
    FYI Dave is running 5.7 not a 5.4. It weight at least 200 lbsless then the iron clad 4.6 DOHC. Remember its also a pushrod engine not Modular, so subtract weight of cams extra large heads blower and the iron. My mistake. I was just looking at the 2000 R. Oops. I was thinking about 100 lbs difference.. 200 would sound right too. I need to look up the ballance for both cars. I need all the help I can get to beat Dave someday. I still prefer the IRS over the live axel. I really think it has a major benifit in the stock and SP classes. When you start tweeking the rear ends I think the Live axel really has the edge. I have to look at Dave's posts and at his setup. Since I can not afford to get an R just for track use I wil have to settle for the Standard Cobra. I will find a legal way to beat Dave.. Someday. Or at least get to a level that i can be right behind him.
    Was the 5.8 block Alum.? I know the heads were iron but they can be upgraded via Ford TSB..
    The_Winch
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Oct 2003 12:42 PM
    Was the 5.8 block Alum.? I know the heads were iron but they can be upgraded via Ford TSB..
    It's an iron block.

Dave's car weighs a few pounds more than mine. Though I've got an extra 90 lbs for my IRS so maybe it's possible to get it lighter, or the '95 Cobra R engine and transmission is a lot heavier than the '98 Cobra engine and transmission. Dave says the engine weight is lower, though I've got low weight in the rear with the IRS and I run my car almost 2 inches lower than his.... though he could too if I or Fordahl could ever convince him to go with a stiff suspension ;-) It would be interesting to measure the center of gravity on our cars.
    SVTCOBRA2001

--
    09 Oct 2003 01:38 PM
    I dropped Dave am email and the 03' is about 200 more than the 95 R. The main issue is that is mostly over the nose.
    So you put an IRS system on a 98 Cobra.. Hmm. that is cool.
    The_Winch
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Oct 2003 02:17 PM
    Well, actually I bought a 95 no options V6, took out the drivetrain and suspension, put my 98 drivetrain and suspension on it except for putting a 99 Cobra IRS on it. In hindsight, I would have gone for a later model IRS since they've gotten slightly better (each one seems to be slightly different so a true optimal situation would involve trying all the different parts).
    SixPack

--
    09 Oct 2003 04:04 PM
    Well, actually I bought a 95 no options V6, took out the drivetrain and suspension, put my 98 drivetrain and suspension on it except for putting a 99 Cobra IRS on it. In hindsight, I would have gone for a later model IRS since they've gotten slightly better (each one seems to be slightly different so a true optimal situation would involve trying all the different parts). The geometry is aboutt he same in all years
    . They added a brace in 01? i think and had different stiffness bushings in different years. Although going with Maximum Motorsport Bushings would be best. Are aftermarket IRS subframe bushings legal?
    The_Winch
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Oct 2003 06:02 PM
    Are aftermarket IRS subframe bushings legal?
    I don't know. Fordahl didn't seem to care about it if they were. The only change I made to the IRS itself was the Griggs lower control arm bushings (stiffening those bushings was John Ames #1 recommendation), and of course the springs and shocks. ;-)
    SixPack

--
    09 Oct 2003 06:23 PM
    Are aftermarket IRS subframe bushings legal?
    I don't know. Fordahl didn't seem to care about it if they were. The only change I made to the IRS itself was the Griggs lower control arm bushings (stiffening those bushings was John Ames #1 recommendation), and of course the springs and shocks. ;-) You should look into them if they are legal. Its basically the same improvement as installing a Panard bar on a live axle car. IM just not sure if they fall into the suspension bushings or not
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Oct 2003 07:00 PM
    Sorry that I have missed this post... Yeah... from what Jeff & I saw... I believe the wieght in a stripper Alum DOHC Motor 4.6 is about the same as a stripper 5.8 Pushrod Iron Block /Alum Head motor.

So... then the '03 is going to have the additional weight of Iron Block, and Supercharger... The tranny change would be one in the right direction... but instead of the weight savings (since it is somewhat in the middle) the easiest thing to do would be to bolt in a '00 R Trans... it atleast had significantly better ratio's... (That is what I was going to do if I ran an '03 Cobra this year).

The other challenge is the hood... the Cobra R ('00) hood weighs 45 lbs... so there isn't going to be a nice wieght savings up on the nose like I had hoped. The '95 R hood weighs about 10 maybe 15lbs.

Jeff and I actually discussed the Mach 1 may be the DOHC 4.6 Cars best chance.

Either way these cars are fun! And I like the IRS also.. but never found it to handle 'significantly' better than the Live Axle.

I would have liked to do something like Jeff's with all the Bushing improvements and all.

Peace!

Dave
    SixPack

--
    09 Oct 2003 07:19 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Schotz:
    Sorry that I have missed this post... Yeah... from what Jeff & I saw... I believe the wieght in a stripper Alum DOHC Motor 4.6 is about the same as a stripper 5.8 Pushrod Iron Block /Alum Head motor.

So... then the '03 is going to have the additional weight of Iron Block, and Supercharger... The tranny change would be one in the right direction... but instead of the weight savings (since it is somewhat in the middle) the easiest thing to do would be to bolt in a '00 R Trans... it atleast had significantly better ratio's... (That is what I was going to do if I ran an '03 Cobra this year).

The other challenge is the hood... the Cobra R ('00) hood weighs 45 lbs... so there isn't going to be a nice wieght savings up on the nose like I had hoped. The '95 R hood weighs about 10 maybe 15lbs.

Jeff and I actually discussed the Mach 1 may be the DOHC 4.6 Cars best chance.

Either way these cars are fun! And I like the IRS also.. but never found it to handle 'significantly' better than the Live Axle.

I would have liked to do something like Jeff's with all the Bushing improvements and all.

Peace!

Dave
    I hope your right. Ill be in a 03 Mach 1 in ESP next year. Although it wont be nationally competitive yet. See ya all in Arizona in January
    SVTCOBRA2001

--
    14 Oct 2003 07:40 AM
    . They added a brace in 01? i think and had different stiffness bushings in different years. Although going with Maximum Motorsport Bushings would be best. Are aftermarket IRS subframe bushings legal?

They added the Brace in 03' The 01' still had the outragious wheel hop.. (I never had a real issue but that is what they say.. The 99' and the 01' IRS is the same or at least I can not really see any differance. I put my car and a buddies 99' on two lifts and compared the cars as much as possable. Did not see anything in the rear susp. There could have been a bushing change but I would really have been surprised if Ford spent the money for that. The 03' they changed to a stiffer bushing set. I believe they changed a couple of things on the IRS. I am going to try and get my car on the lift before it is gone and take some pictures to compare to the 03'.. Will let you know..
    SVTCOBRA2001

--
    14 Oct 2003 07:58 AM

They added the Brace in 03' The 01' still had the outragious wheel hop.. (I never had a real issue but that is what they say.. The 99' and the 01' IRS is the same or at least I can not really see any differance. I put my car and a buddies 99' on two lifts and compared the cars as much as possable. Did not see anything in the rear susp. There could have been a bushing change but I would really have been surprised if Ford spent the money for that. The 03' they changed to a stiffer bushing set. I believe they changed a couple of things on the IRS. I am going to try and get my car on the lift before it is gone and take some pictures to compare to the 03'.. Will let you know..
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner