Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JimR
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Jan 2001 12:07 PM
    Let's say that you get handed $60,000 to spend on any combination of four-wheeled vehicles of your choice, new or used. We're not counting down to the penny here - how would you split your cash?

Personally, I don't know. I could get a slick GT or sedan racer and a SVT Lightning to pull it with, or I could take the easy way out and get a new M3 and spend the change on a clean old Sentra SE-R.

I would be interested in hearing what a bunch of amateur racers would do with $60k. Street cars, race machines, classics...?
    dkizerian

--
    29 Jan 2001 01:13 PM
    Option #1
    Mid 60's Lincoln Continental(the ones with the suicide rear doors) set up to tow a small trailer with a mod car of some sort

Build up an Audi V8 Quattro for ESP!!

car hauler set up for 4-5 cars, and some inexpensive STS car...and I'd charge all my friends to haul their cars to national events!!

SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Dave Kizerian
    URSCCA
    '01 GTI 1.8t
    [url="http://www.team-arg.com"]Team-Arg.com[/URL]
    BryanH
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jan 2001 03:00 PM
    I'd probably blow half of it on a Caterham Seven right away. I'd seriously think about what to do with the rest of it for a little while, but off the top of my head I'd have to say the other 30 grand could be spent on restoring and/or modifying my MR2, and purchasing a couple other cars for various purposes - daily driving in comfort, hauling stuff, whatever. It would be fun to devote perhaps $10k of that to an AE86 and set it up for drifting. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    [i][url="http://move.to/theMR2"]1987 Toyota MR2, C-Stock[/URL][/i]
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    29 Jan 2001 03:01 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JimR:
    [b]Let's say that you get handed $60,000 to spend on any combination of four-wheeled vehicles of your choice, new or used. We're not counting down to the penny here - how would you split your cash? [/b]

Uhhh. . . that's a total no brainer. I'd buy a '01 Corvette Z06 and spend the balance of the money on sticky tires and extra wheels. The only modification that I would make to the car would be a B&M Ripper shifter. SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

I have to relate an "incident" that took place in the last week. Two weekends ago, we had a two day autox practice event. On Sunday, a guy brought out his new Millennium Yellow Z06. It still had the paper plates displayed vis a vis the transit papers from the dealer of origin in Louisiana.

Well, another local CSCC couple "liked" the car so much that they bought the car from the owner albeit the fact that the car previously wasn't for sale.

Last weekend, we had our annual CSCC Solo2 Awards Banquet, and this transaction was announced. The couple who bought the car has been driving a Yellow RX-7 for the past several years, and they announced that they were now back to their first love (Corvettes). The the woman is a six time SCCA Solo2 National Champion in Corvettes. SCCAForums Image

There is no doubt that the Z06 is the best Corvette ever. GM really got it right on this one. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Bob Hempy
    SoPac Cal Club GRA
    CSCC Solo2 E-Board Secretary
    PGM 1995 Z28 A4 (grocery getter)
    NBM 1998 Z28 M6 (autox car)
    SM #27
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Jan 2001 03:34 PM
    #1 - Race Car: Buy Tom Berry's '76 CSP RX-3 for the $10k asking price, which includes the trailer.

#2 - Daily Driver - Lexus IS300 - $35k

#3 - Tow Vehicle - '72 Chevy Pickup. $2k-5k, depending on condition. Spend remaining money restoring/updating truck. (ZZ4, 13" brakes, 4-spd auto, among other things).

A place to park it all would be nice to. I don't think my neighbors would be too happy to have a trailer parked on the street.

------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX
    cone clone

--
    29 Jan 2001 03:50 PM
    Z06's and Caterhams are fine cars but If you got $60K to blow, spend $49K of it on a car that won't get lost in the crowd. SCCAForums Image Blue tights, cape, and weird Villians sold seperately.

Rich
    Toms6893

--
    29 Jan 2001 05:12 PM
    Well me being a mustang lover. I would definatly get Fords newest super car the 2000 Cobra R. Not sure what class i would race it in but it looks and sounds like it could really cause some trouble on a race track. Total cost or car is $54,000. The other $6,000 would be used for saftey equipment and race licences. :P

------------------
    93 Mustang GT Convertable
    #68 ESP
    68 Mustang Coupe Dragcar
    #3056 N/E
    All work and no racing makes Tom very mad...
    ITA-MR2

--
    29 Jan 2001 07:32 PM
    I've already got one more race car than I can drive. I'd spend the $60K on an approximation of Roger Johnson's Pro Solo hauler. Quad cab dualie, with a 40 foot gooseneck, the front half of which is living quarters - the back half is car hauler / shop.

Cheers,
    Norm
    Gman96gsr

--
    30 Jan 2001 10:13 AM
    Oh Boy! 60K vitual dollars!

The first 30K would be a toss up between a Caterham 7 kit + engine, or a Cuda/Challenger R/T convertible.

As for the rest, I'd put 10K towards tweaking the 'ol Integra GS-R, 18K for a lightly used CR-V for the wife and last but not least, 2K for the Mid-Ohio Advanced Driving Course!

------------------
    This message has been (shamelessly) underwritten by [url="http://www.gmangraph.com"]www.gmangraph.com[/URL]
    thedoc

--
    30 Jan 2001 11:15 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JimR:
    [b]Let's say that you get handed $60,000 to spend on any combination of four-wheeled vehicles of your choice, new or used. We're not counting down to the penny here - how would you split your cash?[/b]

I'm thinking:

2001 MR2 Spyder or Miata daily driver (25K?)
    Sell or trade in the Saturn (-$10K)
    Lots more mods to the Supra ($5-10K)
    Major refurbishment of my '75 F250 tow rig ($5K)
    '96 Vette, 93+ Supra TT, or 93+ RX-7 - just for fun ($20-25K?)

Hmmm... This leaves $5-15K still. Does it have to go towards a car, or can I use this as a down payment on a nice big garage with an attached house so I can park them? Of course, going with the garage, it might be better to skip the vehicle selection.

If it has to go toward a car, probably spend the balance on a Subaru Legacy wagon - good in the snow, good people carrier, practical but not a beast like the truck. But then I would really have a parking problem!

Currently:
    '98 Saturn SC2
    '90 Supra Turbo
    '75 Ford F250
    '00 trailer
    1 apartment, 2 parking places... SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Michael McAvoy - 1990 Supra Turbo
    NHA Hillclimbs OSPO Class
    SCCA Solo II "Ill-Prepared"
    Wannabe Group 5 Rallyist
    [url="http://www.premier1.net/~thedoc wrote:
    www.premier1.net/~thedoc[/URL]
    Almost fixed!
    Ken Grammer

--
    31 Jan 2001 04:53 PM
    Hey...is this sponsor money? If so, then no question...I would "invest" it all on a season in one of Brian Cunningham's RealTime World Challenge Acuras! You can't beat "arrive-and-drive" with any size stick and right now the Realtime Guys are certainly on top of the Touring game! SCCAForums Image

If its not sponsor money and I can't spend it on an arrive-n-drive season, my next choice would be to spend half on building a late model AS and use the other half to fund a serious run at the National Runoffs. It would be tight...but hey, drivers love a challenge.

Double that virtual amount and I would probably build a pair of Civics for Motorola Cup...excuse me...Grand-Am Cup and run a full season. I hear they have over 80 cars entered for the Daytona 24 support race! Now that's a nice field!

------------------
    Ken Grammer
    R.E. Alabama Region
    SEDiv AS Camaro #61
    Starter/F&C Worker
    Axoid

--
    02 Feb 2001 02:21 AM
    1st a 1980 Ferari 308 GTS
    2nd a new Chevy S-10 4x4 Pickup
    3rd a 1992 Camaro Z-28

------------------
    Bill
    Ohio Valley Region SCCA
    92 Camaro RS
    305 M5
    Kumho 712
    FPrep2ndGenRX7

--
    02 Feb 2001 04:51 AM
    I'm suprised nobody mentioned the Lotus Elise. I think thats what it is called. Its on the inside cover of Grassroot Motorsports most recent issue.
    Trys_Hard

--
    02 Feb 2001 07:58 AM
    I'd find a nice XKE not Perfect it would cost to much. And spend the rest on the women I'd get! lol
    twin_turborx7
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Feb 2001 10:09 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Ken Grammer:
    [b]Hey...is this sponsor money? If so, then no question...I would "invest" it all on a season in one of Brian Cunningham's RealTime World Challenge Acuras! You can't beat "arrive-and-drive" with any size stick and right now the Realtime Guys are certainly on top of the Touring game! SCCAForums Image

If its not sponsor money and I can't spend it on an arrive-n-drive season, my next choice would be to spend half on building a late model AS and use the other half to fund a serious run at the National Runoffs. It would be tight...but hey, drivers love a challenge.

Double that virtual amount and I would probably build a pair of Civics for Motorola Cup...excuse me...Grand-Am Cup and run a full season. I hear they have over 80 cars entered for the Daytona 24 support race! Now that's a nice field!

[/b]

Taz Harvey is selling his complete for $35,000 what are you waiting for? SCCAForums Image
    Crazyquik

--
    04 Feb 2001 12:00 PM
    -Buy the cheapest Corvette with a LS1 that I could find (25-30k)
    -Deliver it to Agostino Racing Engines
    -have it returned with a 422 or 427 cube mill with Stage 3 LS6 heads, LS6 intake, solid roller cam, long tubes, 3" duals, probably 530-550rwhp depending on cam (no one's done a solid roller 422 yet but the hydro rollers are getting to about 500rwhp). If its a A4 then I'd get a Mike Senia at Yank to custom build a torque converter for it, like he did my Z28.
    -I'd have about 10k left, a set of drag wheels and tires and a set of road race wheels and tires too. Adjustable shocks would be nice if there was anything left. Oh yeah, and at least 250 spare hp worth of N20. Man, this sounds like Snowman's car almost.

------------------
    [b] Quik's Silver [/b]
    1998 Camaro Z28 1LE A4
    [url="http://http:www.geocities.com/crazyquik/LightningQuik.html"]I Lost 246 lbs On This Plan!!![/URL]
    Solo 2 Dan

--
    05 Feb 2001 09:50 AM
    Go to Vegas, put it all on red. Double my money. But a new Z06 Vette and then build a track for myself. Then whatever I have left go back to Vegas put it all down on black, double my money, and then build the ultimate road racing camaro.

Or go home really sad in the begining.

Dan SCCAForums Image
    Hard-driver57

--
    09 Feb 2001 06:42 AM
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner, But I noticed that after buying all those wonderful race cars not too many people left any budget to race them! unfortunately that amount of money is just enough to tease not really race with! I could be mistaken but can you even rent a seat from Cunningham for $60,000 if so wow!! thats a deal! I have to go make a phone call! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image but seriously I gest, It's a nice virtual idea, I would definately buy a new Subaru WRX Quattro with a flat four turning out 225hp with monster brakes and massive development already in it, new hi pro computer to bring up to around 275hp and have a blast for half what an Audi or Porsche would cost in the same trim! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image
    Hard-driver57

--
    09 Feb 2001 06:46 AM
    By the way Rich Totally COOL! SCCAForums Image what a chick magnet!! Is that the one I saw when I was a child it had felt all over the body like Bat fur? The old Bat Mobile way out does the new one!! SCCAForums Image [QUOTE]Originally posted by cone clone:
    [b]Z06's and Caterhams are fine cars but If you got $60K to blow, spend $49K of it on a car that won't get lost in the crowd. SCCAForums Image Blue tights, cape, and weird Villians sold seperately.

Rich[/b]
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner