Stripper?
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
eric_kurzhals

--
29 Dec 2000 12:07 PM
    I have 2 coats of paint on my '83 ITA RX7. I'd like to change the color scheme and put on sponsor graphics...but really don't want to add another layer. Too much weight already...

Any thoughts on stripping the old paint? Is there a reasonable way to do it without major disassembly?

Thanks

------------------
    ITA 22
    BMWRacerITS

--
    29 Dec 2000 02:30 PM
    I wasn't quite sure what to think about your subject line until I opened up the post. SCCAForums Image
    Thumper

--
    29 Dec 2000 04:52 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by eric_kurzhals:
    [b]I have 2 coats of paint on my '83 ITA RX7. I'd like to change the color scheme and put on sponsor graphics...but really don't want to add another layer. Too much weight already...

Any thoughts on stripping the old paint? Is there a reasonable way to do it without major disassembly?

Thanks

[/b]

I used Ditzler's products I think it was Ditzler 535 stripper on one of my Vettes. Worked very well and did not attack the fiberglass. This should also be the case if you have any Bondo that you don't want loosened or destroyed by the stripper.

Use 1" masking tape around all the seams (fender/hood/door/hatch) to keep the stripper from going `round the bend and getting into things that you would rather not have stripper on (gaskets etc). Then it is a simple task to sand the remaining paint stripe (where the tape was) down to get your body down to the metal.

Hey, it worked well for me... SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Later Gator.. Randy Van de Loo
    #7 SCCA/SP-ITE Corvette "Thumper"
    #7 SCCA/ITC Honda "Gotcha"
    Crew/Crewchief on some pretty nice AS Camaro's and World Challenge GT Corvettes.

SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image
    Anubis

--
    30 Dec 2000 07:08 PM
    Boy, I come into this thread thinkin there is gonna be show, oh well. SCCAForums Image
    PhrankenPhrog

--
    01 Jan 2001 05:41 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by eric_kurzhals:
    [b]I have 2 coats of paint on my '83 ITA RX7. I'd like to change the color scheme and put on sponsor graphics...but really don't want to add another layer. Too much weight already...

Thanks

[/b]

First: Get 'Aircraft' paint stripper designed for removing epoxy paints such as Imron. Ordinary automotive stripper works but is slow and is often difficult to keep active if the car is in the sun on a warm day because it dries out before it works. Aircraft paint stripper, on the other hand, causes the paint to beg for mercy! Just read the can and follow directions regarding personal protection (ie; gloves & mask) before use.

Second: You DO NOT want stripper to get down in the gaps between fender & hood, fender & door, etc. To prevent this just use a couple of layers of 1/2" masking tape to cover the gaps. Leave the tape until after the stripping & rinsing is complete, then peel the tape off. That will leave a narrow strip of paint left at the panel edges but you can easily sand this off with an orbital sander. MUCH easier than dealing with stripper down inside the gaps!

Hint: use soft plastic scrapers to get the softened paint off the panels. They are usually sold for the purpose of mixing bondo and usually are yellow in color. Available at your paint jobber.

Hint: this is a VERY messy project. Don't do it on your nice clean concrete driveway. Find a spot in the back yard where you don't care about the grass. Drive the car onto a large plastic tarp to do the dirty deed. Afterwards drive the car off the tarp but let it air dry for a day, then roll it up and head for the nearest dumpster! The grass will grow back in a few weeks...

Okay, now you have stripped to bare metal. Now what? Bare metal rusts immediately so you will need to quickly follow up with proper metal treatment prior to applying primer. Check with your paint jobber for the correct products and application.

Dealing with rust? Get to bare metal first and weld in your rust repair panels. Metal treat. Then use two-part epoxy primer on the bare metal & welds, both sides. After that sets up then lay in the bondo, followed by your normal primer & topcoat system. The two-part epoxy primer on bare metal seals it from oxygen and absolutely stops rust.

Good luck,
    PhankenPhrog
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner