45 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
NBM LS1 M6

--
31 Jan 2001 09:07 PM
    So, what do you think? If you could choose/vote on what is the greatest car chase action movie of all time, what would it be?

For my part, modern filmography, special effects, and technology not an issue, I would still rate the movie "Ronin," starring Robert DeNiro, as the greatest ever.

All of us, as car enthusiasts who go back that far, probably remember the movie "Bullit," starring Steve McQueen, as the greatest example from the 60s of early 70s. McQueen did his own driving in that movie.

However, if you own the DVD version of "Ronin," you can access a step by step annotated monologue of the making of the movie by John Frankenheimer, the guy who directed "The French Connection." He takes one step by step through a cut of the movie with his narration of what he was thinking when he made the movie, and the technical details of its production. Awesome!!

In "Ronin," DeNiro and the main actors all rode in the traditional American side of the car in front of fake steering wheels albeit in European versions of the cars while professional drivers drove them. Therefore, the stress one sees on their faces is real, as they drive through Paris city streets. There were no stunt doubles in the movie, and there were no special effects scenes. The driving scenes are real. Some of the wrong way driving scenes and the scenes in the Paris tunnel(s) were not rehearsed or staged. They are examples of sheer professional driving skill.

Some of the chase scenes were done with the cars cut in half front (no engine) and towed by a Mercedes 500e. The cameras capture the sheer terror on the faces of the main actors. No stunt doubles.

If you have not seen this movie on DVD on a home theater system, you haven't lived. SCCAForums Image

Bob

[This message has been edited by NBM LS1 M6 (edited January 31, 2001).]
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Jan 2001 10:56 PM
    The greatest chase scene ever is the original "Gone in 60 seconds." It was done with one car: no magically repairing body panels or suspension realignments. If you can find the movie, just fast forward through most of it for the car chase. It is the ORIGINAL LA High-speed chase scene. Only one jump ramp...no cars flipping when they rear-end another car, no excess oversteer, just pure driving fun.

Ronin was really cool though.

------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX
    BMWRacerITS

--
    01 Feb 2001 07:06 AM
    "Rendezvous"

Simply the best.
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Feb 2001 07:40 AM
    Bullit w/ Steve McQueen... best Car Chase.

------------------
    Weapon: White 2001 Z-06
    Class: SS
    Car No#: 39
    Trys_Hard

--
    01 Feb 2001 08:15 AM
    I will have to check out Ronin. Gone in 60 sec the original is my vote. But I also liked Vanishing Point, which involved a chase accross the entire US. And what about French Connection scared the $@#^$#$% out of me.

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES (Team No $)

[/list]

SCCAForums Image
    Steve Taylor

--
    01 Feb 2001 08:55 AM
    Thanks for all the info on the [i]Ronin[/i] DVD. I saw the movie in the theatres and then bought the VHS copy. And I think the outstanding qualities of the film extend beyond the car chases. I suppose the mysterious case was a little [i]Pulp Fiction[/i], but it still worked, didn't it?

I haven't seen [i]Gone in 60 Seconds[/i], but that mid-70's film is predated by [i]Bullitt[/i], which has the original San Francisco chase scene. SCCAForums Image

Some of you may be aware that Ford is going to market a Ford Mustang Bullitt GT soon. It's a limited edition Mustang GT with a few bolt-ons tacking on 10hp, some cosmetics including badging, and a lowered suspension. I'm not sure if you could really use a lowered suspension when jumping over the hills of SF, though.

After hearing about the car, I went out and rented the movie. I found I really liked Steve McQueen (the bulk of whose acting career was complete by my mid-70's birth) after seeing [i]The Getaway[/i] and its rolling gunbattles. Then I saw [i]LeMans[/i], and actually learned a lot about that endurance race that I didn't know before. It's impressive that McQueen did his own driving, in the same way nearly everything about [i]Ronin[/i] was real too (how did they organize a wrong way driving scene?)

------------------
    SCCAForums Image
    video image by Jeff Cashmore

[This message has been edited by Steve Taylor (edited February 01, 2001).]
    cone clone

--
    01 Feb 2001 09:08 AM
    My vote is for "The Italian Job". After heisting a milion in Gold the bad guys make thier escape in 3 minicoopers through a Rome traffic Jam. My second would be "Gone in 60 seconds" My third would be any 70's era movie with Big Trucks,CB's and trashy women wearing hotpants. can't help it I was born with the redneck gene.

Hey wasn't "Convoy" really the first Rap song?

rick
    FPrep2ndGenRX7

--
    01 Feb 2001 09:48 AM
    I have to agree with BMWRacerITS. "Rendezvous" is totally unrehearsed and appears to be legit. A friend showed it to me many weeks ago and I was floored that someone could do that and get away with it. Highly recommended for your viewing pleasure.
    Garth

--
    01 Feb 2001 10:38 AM
    If the question is car chases, I agree that Ronin had some pretty good stuff.

If the question is simply best car movie or best racing movie, then "Grand Prix" wins by a huge landslide, IMHO. It would be impossible to ever make a movie like that again, so I think it will remain an unparalled classic.
    AS27

--
    01 Feb 2001 11:40 AM
    I have to agree with garth on that one. IMHO "Grand Prix" blows them all away when it comes to car movies in general.If your talking about just car chase movies,then I have to vote for "bullit" followed closely by "Gone in 60 Seconds".
    JimR
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Feb 2001 01:58 PM
    Nothing new to say here.

[i]Gran Prix[/i] is The Classic. [i]Le Mans[/i] followed suit, but almost outdid itself in length and detail. They were the best of the actual "car" movies.

Even though [i]Ronin[/i] and [i]Bullitt[/i] have my favorite chase sequences (realistic and well-executed), they are great action movies taken as a whole. Ahh, but we'll mainly remember the bits like DeNiro's 270 degree handbrake turn and McQueen's reverse, wheel-hopping burnout.

Nowadays, the original [i]Gone in 60 Seconds[/i] has a great deal of retro appeal, even though the plot and acting are kinda base. The car chase is over the top, and it's so long that you almost get burnt out on it. Considering the budget of the time, it's an entertaining, cheeky, and almost charming flick. Way better than the mega-buck 2000 version.

The coolest? Detective Bullitt in his '68 Mustang is hard to beat.
    The Crew Dude

--
    01 Feb 2001 02:02 PM
    What? No one has mentioned Days of Blunder sorry, Thunder. There is a good internet movie of a Porsche 911 running though the streets of Stockholm, Sweden during early morning hours. Not that I would do such a thing. SCCAForums Image
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    01 Feb 2001 04:38 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Garth:
    [b]If the question is car chases, I agree that Ronin had some pretty good stuff.

If the question is simply best car movie or best racing movie, then "Grand Prix" wins by a huge landslide, IMHO. It would be impossible to ever make a movie like that again, so I think it will remain an unparalled classic.[/b]

I had the car chase scenes (in Ronin) mostly in mind. As I recall, there was one tremendous car chase scene in Bullit. There are several different scenes in Ronin, and the action is over the top. BTW, the non-car related plot of the rest of the movie is over the top too.

Bob
    kiva75

--
    01 Feb 2001 04:47 PM
    What? No one mentioned "Two-lane Blacktop"? Possibly one of the most pointless and least thought out plots ever. James Taylor should've stuck to singing. The opening has a race between the '55 Chev (of American Grafitti fame) against what is obviously a 1970 AAR 'Cuda 340 6 pac. James refers to it as a "Hemi with a Torqueflight", I guess us closet Mopar freeks aren't supposed to know any better. The best part is the geek in the GTO, at least he knows everything there is to know about his car. "0-60 in 7.5 seconds, she'll run the 1/4 mile in 13.0"

Britt

------------------
    "The Cosworth Twin Cam, one Vega for the price of two"
    thedoc

--
    01 Feb 2001 08:39 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by NBM LS1 M6:
    [b]If you could choose/vote on what is the greatest car chase action movie of all time, what would it be?[/b]

Well, all the good chases have been spoken for, but there is one that hasn't been mentioned yet - "The Man Who Knew Too Little". It has a not very serious chase, in which Bill Murray behind the wheel of a Mini (if I remember correctly), does some cone-dodging of his own! I, too, have been tempted to slalom through a construction zone... SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Michael McAvoy - 1990 Supra Turbo
    NHA Hillclimbs OSPO Class
    SCCA Solo II "Ill-Prepared"
    Wannabe Group 5 Rallyist
    [url="http://www.premier1.net/~thedoc wrote:
    www.premier1.net/~thedoc[/URL]
    Almost fixed!
    Anubis

--
    01 Feb 2001 09:00 PM
    Grand Prix, everything else is 2nd rate.

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    FASTNBLU

--
    01 Feb 2001 09:37 PM
    im surprised our redneck members didnt come out with "bad hairpiece called the bandit"
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Feb 2001 10:15 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by BMWRacerITS:
    [b]"Rendezvous"

Simply the best.[/b]

This is the Ferrari Daytona running through the streets of Paris at insane speeds (>>>100mph) with a total disregard for any traffic laws, right??

Definitely a cool flick, with one of the best soundtracks ever in a car movie.

[Edit] I remember reading something from the Italian job. The chase also takes place in the (round) sewer tubes below the city. On one of the practice takes, without the cameras rolling, one of the Mini drivers looped his Mini in the tube. Unfortunately, when he tried to do it for the cameras, it didn't work, and the director wasn't willing to risk any more cars to get the "shot."

So, does anyone else on this list hate most of the car chase gimmicks that Hollywood feels the need to include. These include:
    * Hanging the tail out around EVERY turn.
    * Cars that barrel-roll through the air when they rear-end another car.
    * either of the [i]Blues Brothers[/i] movies with their 200 police car, never-ending crashes.
    * Slow cars keeping up with much faster cars. (Does a Peugeot 605 really stand a chance keeping up with an M5??)
    * Self-repairing cars (Commando's yellow Porsche is my favorite).
    * James Bond's Formula One tank, from [i]Goldeneye[/i]. The fastest Russian tanks can only do about 25 mph. The only tank as fast as that was a car-crusher built by the guy who made the Bigfoot monster truck. (I might be a Redneck for knowing that.)

I'm sure more people will have their favorite car chase pet peeves.
    ------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX

[This message has been edited by Davard (edited February 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Davard (edited February 01, 2001).]
    Axoid

--
    02 Feb 2001 02:29 AM
    I'm not saying it that best, I do like Goldeneye for both the tank chash and the Aston-Ferari chase at the begining of the movie. I love the shot of the high speed controlled spin of the Ferari.

------------------
    Bill
    Ohio Valley Region SCCA
    92 Camaro RS
    305 M5
    Kumho 712
    cone clone

--
    02 Feb 2001 06:44 AM
    My number one movie pet peeve is squealing tires on dirt roads
    Second would be the sound of a gears being shifted while the driver has both hands on the wheel
    Third would be motorcycle related. When the motorcycle gang runs out of the hideout all twenty Harleys start, and on the first kick.

Rick
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner