You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
wrchas
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Feb 2001 06:20 PM
    We all like to go fast right?

How about some help making my kids pinewood derby cars go faster.

I've got the weight in the back. Polished the axles and tapered the heads. Narrowed the wheel hubs. Graphite applied to the axles and wheels.

Any other ideas?

Chas.
    neonmike22

--
    01 Feb 2001 09:24 PM
    i like to hollow my cars out so that all my weight is in lead and i can get my car to the exact specified weight. graphite with Molybdenum (spelling is probably off) seems to work better than regular graphite, i think the pine-wood brand graphite has molyb in it.
    Scott Malbon

--
    02 Feb 2001 03:42 AM
    We did all that with my son's cars. Also, check out the mechanisms used to start the cars. In our cub pack they had levers in the track that rotated back (forward?) to allow the cars to roll. A car with a high nose will start to roll sooner than a car with a low nose. We used a spacer to 'grid'the car to make sure the car was aligned with the track to minimize scuffing against the sides, etc.

Good luck and have fun.

Scott
    cone clone

--
    02 Feb 2001 07:00 AM
    Alignment is critical, check the toe of the front end with the driver in the car. Make sure the the front and rear axle is square(90degrees) to the center line of the car.
    I'm not sure how they do the wheels now but the trick thing alot of teams used to do is true the wheels/tires in a lathe.

Rick
    David Dewhurst

--
    02 Feb 2001 11:52 AM
    Rick, (cone clone) I am in total agreement with you that alignment is critical in any type race car. But I gota ask the question, how big a driver can you put in a pinewood derby car ?

If I remember the thing is about 2 1/2 inches wide by about 5 inches long and weighs about 5 grams and that makes for a darn small driver.

He-Hee, Smile (I don't know how to put a Smily here)
    David Dewhurst

--
    02 Feb 2001 12:29 PM
    Chas, after the first year of Cub Scout pinewood derby racing I saw how the game was played and suggested that there should be a race for the Cub Scout built cars and a race for the Father built cars. Well the established Cub Scout Fathers told me what I could do with my suggestion. They told me, you have not been around long enough to make suggestions.

They then learned that there is more than one way to play the game.

My 2 cents worth is that if the father is the guide and the son does the work all the Scouts have a better time.

Have Fun
    cone clone

--
    02 Feb 2001 12:40 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
    [b]Rick, (cone clone) I am in total agreement with you that alignment is critical in any type race car. But I gota ask the question, how big a driver can you put in a pinewood derby car ?
    [/b]

Took me a few minutes of reading your reply to realize I mixed up my cub scout projects with my boy scout projects! LOL Oh well!

I guess the alignment with the driver on board can be skipped. Trueing and narrowing the wheels in a lathe might still be a idea SCCAForums Image

Rick (kicked out of scouts for hotwiring the scoutmasters garden tractor and crashing it through a fence at age 12)
    Scott Malbon

--
    02 Feb 2001 02:22 PM
    David,

As a Dad it was a struggle to supress my racing instincts and let my son do the work. I probably did a bit more than I should have - mainly the preparation using a drill etc. But we discussed car preparation strategy, the rules (we were legal) etc.

But it was clear some of the boys had more help than they should have. Penske would have been proud of some of the cars.

Scott
    Barry Hunter

--
    02 Feb 2001 09:40 PM
    The last time I helped a kid with a pinewood derby car..we cut/tapered the tires in order to have the mininum contact area,rolling resistance...

------------------
    Trueblue R/T
    motor stuff
    suspension stuff
    Crazyquik

--
    04 Feb 2001 11:36 AM
    Car and Driver competed in a Pine Wood Derby against Penske, the Waltrip-Western Auto NASCAR team, maybe a leading motorcycle team, and one other "professional" team a few years ago. I have the magazine somewhere. The winner of thier class then raced the winning cub scout I think. This was back when Penske won races BTW. Interesting article.

------------------
    [b] Quik's Silver [/b]
    1998 Camaro Z28 1LE A4
    [url="http://http:www.geocities.com/crazyquik/LightningQuik.html"]I Lost 246 lbs On This Plan!!![/URL]
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner