Solo II is the key to SCCA's future
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bill in RiverCity

--
06 Feb 2001 11:48 AM
    I've been reading the thread regarding the need to get more young people involved in SCCA. Many have hit on the point, but I thought it deserved special attention here. Solo II is the way to get young people into the sport. It costs practically nothing and takes no license or training. In Southern California I see lots of young people with their hopped up Hondas at these events. Problem is, there are too few events for the number of people who want to participate. At the events I've attended in Cal Club, you have to wait through pretty much a whole day to get three 2 minute runs. More events would give more opportunities to participate and, perhaps, reduce the load on individual events. The timing now is perfect. Young people are using Civic size cars as the hot rods of the day. All we have to do is provide enough venues and the exposure to these venues, and they'll flock to our shores.
    WildManPiet
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Feb 2001 02:27 PM
    I suppose Solo2 can be inexpensive, by using street tires. After my first season I was set on going to race rubber, and that isn't cheap (especially for the poor/younger drivers).

I will admit if I was only doing 3 runs I likely would not have continued to go to the events.

In Las Vegas we do some night racing where we typically do 4-5 runs(30 sec runs), and that is tolerable, but the entire season that way would get me pretty miffed. Typically tracks are around 45-60 seconds and 10 runs(5 in the AM 5 in the PM with 70 drivers).

I am a bit surprised by a 2 minute lap at an autoX. Even when we raced on the road course in Pahrump we did not have 2 minute tracks.

More laps on a shorter course is also more enjoyable in my opinion. That way the driver gets a chance to focus on each turn more, and also gets more chances to reflect on where to improve and more chances to master the entire track.

As always more events are good, but if you have too many events, drivers will pick and choose which events to go to, and profit per event will diminish.

As far as MOST(not all) youngsters with the slammed cars and 30 pounds of ground effects that are only functional above the cars top speed, they seem to get pretty discouraged when they come out expecting to kick butt with their "phat" car, and get destroyed by a plymouth neon, or a VW rabbit.

I havent seen one of the above drivers come back yet, but I have only been in it a year now.

------------------
    Region 72
    #47 CSP
    1985 Pontiac Fiero
    Our Lady of blessed acceleration dont fail me now!
    Solo 2 Dan

--
    06 Feb 2001 03:53 PM
    I totally agree that Solo II is where it is at for SCCA. You can still be very competetive in the races with street tires and have fun. I agree though that only being able to run 3 runs a day would totally discourage me and it did from the Chicago Region SCCA, its soo packed. Thats why I looked elsewhere for other smaller clubs. They are out there, people just have to look.

Dan
    Trys_Hard

--
    06 Feb 2001 04:22 PM
    I agree that 3 runs are not enough but with the practices held here in SoCal you can often get in 10 - 15 60 - 70 sec runs plus fun runs at the end can add another 5+ laps.

But there are not enough events. The practice on the 17th was filled up almost imeadiately and my younger brother and his friend whom I talked into going to the practice on the 1/20 couldn't get into the practice on the 17th. They really want to go and now they are limited to the Championship on Sunday and 3 laps. Although there should be fun runs. It's only because I am fanatical about checking the events board that I got in. And I sent my email the first day. I'm even going down to SD this weekend to get some practice in. I use another Forumn called DSMtalk.com and I've convinced some of the local hotrod crowd to come and get a ride a the Q this weekend and I hope to get a few more guys hooked. But if there is nowhere to go then how do you keep them interested. We need a permanent venue in SoCal that is resonably priced or (donated) that can hold SoloII meets every WE. If anyone is interested in SoCal with maybe getting an investor group to look into the possibilty of a local track (El Toro). Buy the way I have no money lol but a lot of ideas. If there is not going to be an airport going in there then maybe there could be some room made for us.

What do you think?

------------------
    [list]

*Art Rinner
    *95 Eagle Talon ESI
    *#823 ES (Team No $)

[/list]

SCCAForums Image

[This message has been edited by Trys_Hard (edited February 06, 2001).]
    Bill in RiverCity

--
    06 Feb 2001 06:29 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by WildManPiet:
    [b]
    I am a bit surprised by a 2 minute lap at an autoX. Even when we raced on the road course in Pahrump we did not have 2 minute tracks.
    [/b]

I think my brain must have been out to lunch when I indicated 2 minute laps. Although, I am slow, my last two events saw lap times more in the 1 minute range.
    twin_turborx7
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Feb 2001 06:49 PM
    Guys these is easy..

Create a class that is geared toward the "import/younger" crowd and they will come by the droves. Especially all the "import drag racers".

Ohhh that's right SCCA did that by creating SM and saying that is what it was for...but OOPS they excluded a bunch of those cars from running in SM SCCAForums Image

Bring SM2!

Sarcarstic? Yes
    True? Yes
    Bill in RiverCity

--
    11 Feb 2001 09:29 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by twin_turborx7:
    [b]Guys these is easy..

Create a class that is geared toward the "import/younger" crowd and they will come by the droves. Especially all the "import drag racers".

[/b]

I couldn't agree more. And, for the record, I'd like to point out that we're actually very lucky in this day and age. When I was a boy in the 1960's (I know, yawn! ), the teenage crowd flocked to Detroit Iron saddled with as much V8 power as possible. Brakes were terrible and cornering ability worse, but man could they burn rubber! The teens today are hot rodding the same basic cars that are being road raced and rallied by their older "brothers". In the 1950's it was an uphill battle to get anyone under 25 to pay attention to a bunch of 4 or 6 cylinder sports cars. Now, with the equipment being so similar between drag and road racing cars, SCCA has the opportunity to virtually bust at the seams with new members and enthusiasts.
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    13 Feb 2001 11:35 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by WildManPiet:
    [b] I am a bit surprised by a 2 minute lap at an autoX. Even when we raced on the road course in Pahrump we did not have 2 minute tracks.[/b]

The courses in SoCal are never two minutes long. The typical course is 60 seconds +/- 5 seconds.

[QUOTE][b] As far as MOST(not all) youngsters with the slammed cars and 30 pounds of ground effects that are only functional above the cars top speed, they seem to get pretty discouraged when they come out expecting to kick butt with their "phat" car, and get destroyed by a plymouth neon, or a VW rabbit.
    I havent seen one of the above drivers come back yet, but I have only been in it a year now. [/b]

Yup. . . they come out. Perhaps some of them **do** get converted by the experience of getting their butts kicked by a Neon or a Rabbit. I hope so.

Unfortunately, I am suspicious that some of the above mentioned individuals have been the same ones for whom we have had to pull run cards and invite never to return after they drove in an entirely out of control manner.

Making the sport of Solo2 in densely populated and expensively real estated SoCal more widely available with more runs per event is going to mean securing and keeping lots. That is no easy task, and unfortunately that means keeping an eye on our image as a sport, to wit, one that represents mature sportsmanlike enthusiasts as opposed to the negative images of the street racer and "rice boy" that are portrayed in the news on a regular basis. How to do that and keep our arms open to converting them at the same time is a task that may involve walking a tightrope.

------------------
    Bob Hempy
    SoPac Cal Club GRA
    CSCC Solo2 E-Board Secretary
    PGM 1995 Z28 A4 (grocery getter)
    NBM 1998 Z28 M6 (autox car)
    SM #27
    hennessey

--
    14 Feb 2001 05:32 AM
    i cant wait until i get into my first solo II event. Im only 19 and hopefully this will be a ragular thing for me. But i live in mass and i have no idea where anything is around here.
    cone clone

--
    14 Feb 2001 02:17 PM
    hennessey wrote: I cant wait until i get into my first solo II event. Im only 19 and hopefully this will be a ragular thing for me. But i live in mass and i have no idea where anything is around here.

Well son you are in Luck! your local region has lots of autocross you can find them at [url="http://www.ner.org/soloII/soloII.html"]http://www.ner.org/soloII/soloII.html[/URL]

Rich
    jmon92

--
    14 Feb 2001 03:43 PM
    The problem around here in the Louisville, KY area is that there are not that many places to run. Even though I just started last year, I spend all day working and waiting to get 4 laps at 45-60sec a piece. I got to say it is worth it for me though.

Jeremy
    Todd Z28

--
    14 Feb 2001 07:03 PM
    Here in the S.F. Bay Area and surounding communities we support lots of events. We have the S.F. Region SCCA which holds events in several locations throughout the area and has around 300 entries at every event with 3 runs of 30-65 seconds( [url="http://www.sfrscca.org/index.phtml"]http://www.sfrscca.org/index.phtml[/URL] ), we have the Sacramento chapter of SFR that runs a seperate series at a couple retired A.F Bases with 100-150 entries and 4 runs of 50-70 seconds and possible fun runs( [url="http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Sacramento/index.html"]http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Sacramento/index.html[/URL] ), Then there is the American Auto-X Series that runs in Sacramento at the AF bases with 100- 140 entries with 5 50-70 second runs, and the courses are set up for bigger, higher HP cars( [url="http://www.americanauto-x.com/"]http://www.americanauto-x.com/[/URL] ) and we have the local NASA-X series that operated near Monterey with 90-140 entries and 4 runs of 50-70 seconds with Fun runs at lunch and after the event( [url="http://www.geocities.com/nasa_autox/"]http://www.geocities.com/nasa_autox/[/URL] ) There is also a smaller group in Sacramento called the Competition Sports Car Club, 80-100 entries with 4 runs and Fun runs.(no web site)

I prefere the AAS and NASA series and can't afford the tires to run'em all. We do have some import ricer types at some of the SCCA and NASA series'. Some have gotten in trouble for doing burn outs and sh!t like that but others have been OK and have returned. Although the SFR group has instututed some growth restrictive changes, you cannot enter a SFR SCCA autoX unless you have a membership card (you can join on site but can't race until you get the card). Even though I attended over 30 autoX's last year I can't attend one of theres 'cause I'm not a member. Fortunately the one event I did go to SUCKED(third run group out of 8 finished at 2:00) so I haven't had any desire to go back.

------------------
    white '98 Camaro Z28
    FStock
    Koni SA shocks
    Addco 32mm front swaybar
    B&B catback
    Wolfe Racecraft 6pt rollbar
    Kumho V700's

www.Norcal-LS1.com
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner