21 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
John MacKechnie

--
08 Feb 2001 04:54 PM
    I'm interested in your comments on the following proposal. Feel free to email me at bigmac1@enter.net as well as commenting here.

I am essentially suggesting that the SCCA sponsor a car in the Speedvision
    World Challenge series and that it should be funded primarily through
    grassroots donations from SCCA members who choose to participate. Donations
    of any size would be acceptable, but $10, $20 or even larger would be even
    better. If the response (No they didn't send money) and enthusiasm that I
    have already received on W2W is any indication, I think that many facets of the
    SCCA community could get behind a project of this type. We have 55,000
    members. How many members would have to make a donation to make this a
    viable project.

I assume that sponsoring an existing team would be the most practical
    solution in the short term, but how cool would it be to eventually offer the
    ride to the young hotshoe of the year. What a payoff for someone who works
    hard, has the talent, can communicate effectively, and as has the ability to
    represent the SCCA in it's most positive light. A rotation of hotshoes is also a
    possibility, naturally.

The exposure would be tremendous and if the car is sharp, (I'm thinking of
    the fantastic Speedvision sponsored Audi's for example), well driven and
    crewed by SCCA volunteers, Wow, what a package. Um, who do the think the
    corner workers will be rooting for?

We could all be participants in TEAM SCCA MOTORSPORTS and the entire project
    could be followed on a website and in SPORTSCAR with full disclosure of
    sponsorship proposals, financials, driver and car facts, damage assessments,
    strategy, scandals, etc. Everybody could be in on the deal at one level or
    another.

A project of this type would naturally take an experienced steering
    committee and professional financials.

TEAM SCCA.....Cool!

John MacKechnie
    Philly Region
    ITA RX-7 #61
    Anubis

--
    08 Feb 2001 05:20 PM
    Ya know, this sounds like a rather good idea...

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    John MacKechnie

--
    08 Feb 2001 05:39 PM
    "Ya know, this sounds like a rather good idea..."

Are you in for a 10 spot? I'm not really asking for money. Just interested in how many people would actually kick in. I don't want to have any to do with the money end of this thing, but I am curious.

John MacKechnie
    BMWRacerITS

--
    08 Feb 2001 06:47 PM
    I'll contribute $2000 right now if I can drive! SCCAForums Image
    WildManPiet
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Feb 2001 06:53 PM
    To be honest I cannot even afford my own racing habits let alone give money so some one else can race.

------------------
    Region 72
    #47 CSP
    1985 Pontiac Fiero
    Our Lady of blessed acceleration dont fail me now!
    Hard-driver57

--
    08 Feb 2001 08:08 PM
    I wish this were possible but I can't begin to tell you how many logistical problems this brings. I would much rather see something like the Toyota celeb. race thrown in the can the way it is now, and make it a series of 3 or 4 races put on by Toyota with all equally prepared cars, where champions from the previous season from all the regions sedan classes could compete as a support race against the pro's with the same format as present, but with a capacity to get noticed by other pro teams. Your incentive to win is obvious, but if you do, you no longer participate thereby opening up a new seat after every race. I mean bottom line is why should people who already have established careers as actors, sports figures, ETC. who have the exposure and ability to easily afford running their own programs be able to go out and crash several hundred thousand dollars worth of cars, and walk away saying wow! that was fun. Thats what I would like to see is SCCA actually trying to promote and advance it's memebership to the next level, anyone who has talent not just the people that have deep pockets. Think of how the participation at the local level would increase knowing you actually can gain something besides a trophy for all your money and HARD WORK!!! SCCAForums Image
    Pat

--
    09 Feb 2001 03:31 AM
    As a devil's advocate, I wonder:

Would we be doing this to promote a driver or to get "SCCA" on the side of the car?

Who gets to pick the driver? Who gets to pick the team?

Who handles the money and are there fees involved?

If not enough money is raised, will it be returned? If we make a commitment and don't raise enough money, will we be obligated for the remainder? Will Denver have to pick up the slack? Let's see, an SCCA sanctioned event with SCCA officials at an SCCA tech shed performing a post-race inspection on an SCCA sponsored/run team. Hmmm.

Wasn't there a team at Indy a few years ago that was sponsored by donations and you got to sign your name to the car? Did it last more than one year? Did they raise enough money or did they lose money?
    Hard-driver57

--
    09 Feb 2001 06:18 AM
    Pat, Those are just a few of the logistical problems I was refering to, you hit the nail right on the head. Plus God for bid if you did win or lose on a technical infraction I can hear the noise already! No I think that would be a very devisive Idea. as for that Indy car, I believe it was only for the Indy 500, and besides the budget is not even comparible, you know what I mean? Thats why it would be much better to have a series that could in part be sponsored by donations, like I mentioned, where many drivers and SCCA members could participate either directly or by donation. Just think when you go to a track you could actually volunteer to help with a car at a pro event, there are quite a few mechanics who would also like to get their chance to be noticed by some pro teams! The possibilities are endless, the incentive to donate is there because it might be you getting the opportunity next time, so you want to keep the series going, with that level of participation in a volunteer sense then the corporations would get involved. My mind is spinning with the poss. SCCAForums Image
    John MacKechnie

--
    09 Feb 2001 07:58 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Pat:
    [b]As a devil's advocate, I wonder:

Would we be doing this to promote a driver or to get "SCCA" on the side of the car?

Both

Who gets to pick the driver? Who gets to pick the team?

Steering Committee

Who handles the money and are there fees involved?

Professional financials

If not enough money is raised, will it be returned? If we make a commitment and don't raise enough money, will we be obligated for the remainder? Will Denver have to pick up the slack?

Important point. Haven't thought that far, but I suspect that there are logical solutions.

Let's see, an SCCA sanctioned event with SCCA officials at an SCCA tech shed performing a post-race inspection on an SCCA sponsored/run team.

Tech inspectors often check out the cars of friends and colleagues. Doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Wasn't there a team at Indy a few years ago that was sponsored byations and you got to sign your name to the car? Did it last more than one year? Did they raise enough money or did they lose money?

Irrelevent!

[/b]
    John MacKechnie

--
    09 Feb 2001 08:00 AM
    [QUOTEThats why it would be much better to have a series that could in part be sponsored by donations, like I mentioned, where many drivers and SCCA members could participate either directly or by donation. Just think when you go to a track you could actually volunteer to help with a car at a pro event, there are quite a few mechanics who would also like to get their chance to be noticed by some pro teams! The possibilities are endless, the incentive to donate is there because it might be you getting the opportunity next time, so you want to keep the series going, with that level of participation in a volunteer sense then the corporations would get involved. My mind is spinning with the poss. SCCAForums Image[/B]

You got it. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
    Racy-Stacey

--
    09 Feb 2001 12:17 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Hard-driver57:
    [b]I wish this were possible but I can't begin to tell you how many logistical problems this brings. I would much rather see something like the Toyota celeb. race thrown in the can the way it is now, and make it a series of 3 or 4 races put on by Toyota with all equally prepared cars, where champions from the previous season from all the regions sedan classes could compete as a support race against the pro's with the same format as present, but with a capacity to get noticed by other pro teams. Your incentive to win is obvious, but if you do, you no longer participate thereby opening up a new seat after every race. I mean bottom line is why should people who already have established careers as actors, sports figures, ETC. who have the exposure and ability to easily afford running their own programs be able to go out and crash several hundred thousand dollars worth of cars, and walk away saying wow! that was fun. Thats what I would like to see is SCCA actually trying to promote and advance it's memebership to the next level, anyone who has talent not just the people that have deep pockets. Think of how the participation at the local level would increase knowing you actually can gain something besides a trophy for all your money and HARD WORK!!! SCCAForums Image [/b]

[b]I Like you response![/b] SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Toodles,
    Stacey_B [url="http://www.scpoc.com/Car%20Profiles/stacey.htm wrote:
    1990PGL[/URL] SCCA STSL No.655 "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club/CSCC Region/San Diego Region[url="http://www.SCPOC.com wrote:
    www.scpoc.com[/URL] SCPOC Racing / No $ Racing : Probe owners ->[url="http://www.probetalk.com wrote:
    www.probetalk.com[/URL] East Coast Probes -> [url="http://www.nepoprobes.com wrote:
    www.nepoprobes.com[/URL] :
    "Real Race cars dont have Tinted Windows and 1000+Watt Stereo Systems"
    John MacKechnie

--
    09 Feb 2001 05:38 PM
    [B]I wish this were possible but I can't begin to tell you how many logistical problems this brings. I would much rather see something like the Toyota celeb. race thrown in the can the way it is now, and make it a series of 3 or 4 races put on by Toyota with all equally prepared cars

Um, I think that your proposal is a whole lot more complicated and expensive than the SCCA members sponsoring one car with small voluntary contributions in a single high profile series. The idea would be to promote the SCCA first with a cool car and a top driver chosen by a steering committee.

John MacKechnie
    Hard-driver57

--
    09 Feb 2001 07:04 PM
    John,
    Did you read the previous posting by the other guy at all?
    Hard-driver57

--
    09 Feb 2001 07:34 PM
    John,
    Did you read the previous posting by Pat at all? and that is just the tip of the iceberg, The big difference is all the people
    that get involved this way get something out!
    with no particular person gaining all the benefit. Further more due to it's scope as a series, corporations would get involved helping to defray cost, and if it was spread over the whole of SCCA with a format in place there would be minimal complication or cost for maximum exposure! No more than organizing any other race on a given weekend.
    Question: You have aspirations to be a professional racecar driver, you feel you have as much talent as anyone, and out of all those talented drivers nationwide you have one seat available, are you that person? and if not and most likely not, (no offense,just that the odds in this senario are higher than your chances of winning the lottery due to shear numbers!!) how do justify all your hard work and dedication without major disappointment. But on the other hand what if you busted your hump and KNEW with certainty that at the end of that season with class championship in hand next year you would be racing PRO!!!! YeeeeHaaaa!!! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image
    By the way the cost is already being wasted on the celeb race if you read my first posting. SCCAForums Image
    cone clone

--
    09 Feb 2001 09:24 PM
    why would we want to sponsor a car in a race we already sanction where every car has to have SCCA decals on the car, and the SCCA is mentioned in all media coverage anyway? Seems to me we might have better places we can spend 1/2 million dollars.
    JMO

Rich
    John MacKechnie

--
    10 Feb 2001 01:44 AM
    [B]John,
    > Did you read the previous posting by Pat at all? and that is just the tip of the iceberg,

dear Hard, I really just scanned it and didn't understand the point about Toyota and the celeb race, to tell you the truth. Now I think that I've got it.
    What you are suggesting is a funded driver development series. That is certainly different than what I proposed. Seems like a much more complicated and expensive program than what I'm proposing, but hey, it's only fantasy money.

My thought was that the top National and Regional drivers from all classes would comprise a pool from which a few deserving drivers would be selected for the a ride in SV.

>The big difference is all the people
    that get involved this way get something out!
    with no particular person gaining all the benefit. Further more due to it's scope as a series, corporations would get involved helping to defray cost, and if it was spread over the whole of SCCA with a format in place there would be minimal complication or cost for maximum exposure! No more than organizing any other race on a given weekend.
    Question: You have aspirations to be a professional racecar driver, you feel you have as much talent as anyone, and out of all those talented drivers nationwide you have one seat available, are you that person? and if not and most likely not, (no offense,just that the odds in this senario are higher than your chances of winning the lottery due to shear numbers!!) how do justify all your hard work and dedication without major disappointment. But on the other hand what if you busted your hump and KNEW with certainty that at the end of that season with class championship in hand next year you would be racing PRO!!!! YeeeeHaaaa!!! SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image

Hey, make it happen. There's certainly more than one way to skin a cat. I just though some grass roots funding for a car and drivers would be cool, but the whole idea of this exercise is to generate ideas that just might work.

Unfortunately, IMO: the real way to become a professional road racer is to be adopted by very rich, indulgent parents. I think that in most instances, racing in a pro series means that you have enough money to buy a ride, and it is my understanding that are very few paid drivers in our type of racing. Look at the Rolex 24. Ron Fellows, James Weaver, Boris Said and a few others are paid, but I suspect that most of the other drivers are merely rich.

>By the way the cost is already being wasted on the celeb race if you read my first posting.

I don't get this point at all. Are you suggesting that your going to convince Toyota to give their series over to a bunch of SCCA hotshoes. Cool if you can do it, but I think that they love to have the starlets in their cars because of all the TV and print exposure that they get. That's the whole idea of a celeb race. Even if I was fast, and I ain't, John MacKechnie, 53 year old novice ITA driver isn't going to generate a lot of excitement.

Good luck with your idea.

John
    John MacKechnie

--
    10 Feb 2001 01:54 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by cone clone:
    [b]why would we want to sponsor a car in a race we already sanction where every car has to have SCCA decals on the car,

Um. Rich, Can you actually see those stickers?

>and the SCCA is mentioned in all media coverage anyway? Seems to me we might have better places we can spend 1/2 million dollars.

Convince me and I'll kick in 10 bucks.

This isn't just about exposure, it's about fun and being part of a team, if only symbolically with a small donation.

John MacKechnie

Rich[/b]
    John MacKechnie

--
    10 Feb 2001 02:04 AM
    [B]John,
    Did you read the previous posting by Pat at all?

I'm sorry, I got a little confused with this format. I did read Pat's remarks and I briefly addressed each one. Which one didn't you think that I read?

John

By the way. Got a name, I hate to correspond with a handle. I don't seem to mind it on Yahoo financial message boards, but SCCA is a small organization and I've met a lot of people through W2W. Ought to be able to do the same here.
    Pat

--
    10 Feb 2001 08:32 AM
    John said:
    >Tech inspectors often check out the cars of friends and colleagues. Doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Unless you're on the end of the stick that was ruled against. There was some minor talk last summer/fall on W2W that the Motorola Cup may not be administered fairly between U.S. vs Canadian teams. There should not be even a hint of potential for inappropriateness. (A recent ex-President still hasn't come to grips with this concept.)

>Irrelevent!

It is relevent, as in: How are you going to maintain the excitement to next year and the next? Indy vs SVWC major sponsorship amounts may be quite far apart, but to sponsor a car/team with enough to influence who the driver will be would have to be substantial (IMO).

Also, keep in mind that responses on the internet may not be indicative of all SCCA members. I went past the DSR site, because they utilize EZBoard, and it shows the number of replies to discussion and also the number of 'viewers' of the discussion. There was an average 1:16 ratio, i.e. out of 16 'viewers' only 1 replied. W2W typically has ~20 regular 'contributors'. I'll bet that the subscriber base has about the same ratio.

BTW, I do think it is a cool idea. Just not workable or sustainable.
    John MacKechnie

--
    10 Feb 2001 08:30 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Pat:
    [B]John said:
    >Tech inspectors often check out the cars of friends and colleagues. Doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Unless you're on the end of the stick that was ruled against. There was some minor talk last summer/fall on W2W that the Motorola Cup may not be administered fairly between U.S. vs Canadian teams. There should not be even a hint of potential for inappropriateness. (A recent ex-President still hasn't come to grips with this concept.)

I think that the average tech guy would bend over backwards not to go easy on an SCCA sponsored car. It's kinda like the coaches kid who gets yelled at the most. I think that tech folks always have friends and favorites among the drivers and have to behave professionally. I haven't heard of a whole lot of favoritism in the tech shed, but admittedly, I've never ended up there after a race so I can't speak from experience.
    How are you going to maintain the excitement to next year and the next? Indy vs SVWC major sponsorship amounts may be quite far apart, but to sponsor a car/team with enough to influence who the driver will be would have to be substantial (IMO).

Beats me. I'm just thinking about the first year.
    Hopefully it will work and carry itself.

Also, keep in mind that responses on the internet may not be indicative of all SCCA members

Agreed. TEAM SCCA would definitly have to be proposed to the entire membership through SPORTSCAR. Some method of feedback in the form of a survey would have to be developed. Perhaps an 800 number or website could do the job.

BTW, I do think it is a cool idea. Just not workable or sustainable

If you think it's cool. Help work out the bugs. Again, I think that it's sustainability depends on it's success in the first year.

John MacKechnie
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner