Winding Road Banner
any experience with advance design racing struts/shocks?
Last Post 04 Jun 2003 08:03 AM by redrotorR1. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
06 May 2003 04:43 PM
    i don't know anyone that has used these struts and i couldn't find any on the search feature so i'll just post up a thread.

i was just wondering what are the pros/cons and performance of the advance design shocks/struts available through ground control?

let me know
    thanks
    steven
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 May 2003 09:57 AM
    You should ask Joel at Shehan racing. [url="http://www.teamsmr.com/"]http://www.teamsmr.com/[/URL] I think they have a lot of experience with GC dampers. You can find Joel's email on the web page I listed. He's their crew chief and just emailed me a bunch of info on his GC experiences.

--
    08 May 2003 10:03 AM
    I was going to point you to a thread that came up on rx7club.com, but it looks like you might know about it already.. SCCAForums Image

Some posts from miataforums.com that might have some good info.. [url="http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004136#000000"]http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004136#000000[/URL] [url="http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005252#000000"]http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=005252#000000[/URL]

Just from "what i've noticed", the most experienced driver's I know of (in real life) are using Ground Control(/Advanced Design) struts.. maybe its just a coincidence

--
    12 May 2003 12:02 PM
    I had AD shocks on my Supra for a little while before I wrecked it. While they were not cheap (Compared to the Koni/H&R combo they replaced), they were an astounding improvement! They totally transformed the car's handling. And the damping was so well-matched that it was more comfortable on the street despite the much-stiffer springs!

The hard part is that they were not a drop-in installation (though they might be for a more common car), and it took a lot of work to get them tuned properly.

And they can't make you a better driver. :P

Highly recommended...

------------------
    Michael McAvoy - 1990 Supra Turbo - It's dead again...
    NHA Hillclimbs OSPO Class
    Solo II "Ill-Prepared"
    [url="http://www.premier1.net/~thedoc"]www.premier1.net/~thedoc[/URL]

--
    15 May 2003 09:46 AM
    Dyno with a high quality ($65,000) dyno and you'll learn why Ohlins and Penske cost more vs. AD.

An AD is better than an OEM $24 Monroe though.

You get what you pay for in dampers.

Damper technology is analogous to engine technology. You have three engines for three different applications and working environments: a Kia, for all-out economy (both manufacturing and ownership), Ferrari 360, ultimate street performance with acceptable reliability, but still affordable on some level, obviously both for manufacture and ownership by the end user. Then you have Formula One. Different operating characteristics, life expectancy, manufacturing and operating costs. First engine is $1900, second is $40,000, third is $25MM.

The consumer makes the choice of what the application is, budget available, expected results, etc. So, the market responds by manufacturing to supply each different demand.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 May 2003 08:49 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by RobS:
    [b]An AD is better than an OEM $24 Monroe
    [/b]

Really? Thanks for that nugget of wisdom SCCAForums Image

[QUOTE][b]

You get what you pay for in dampers.
    [/b]

You frequently [i]don't[/i] get what you pay for in the automotive aftermarket. And sometimes you get a little [i]more[/i] than you pay for.

Going back to your engine analogy, a Z06 engine costs alot less to build than a Ferrari 360 motor, yet delivers similar performance.

Are the ADs like the Z06, offering exceptional performance for the dollar? Or are they more like a Mercury Marauder, just a fancy looking version of an every-day Crown Vic with little extra performance to show for the extra money paid.

--
    17 May 2003 05:38 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by gary p:
    [b]And sometimes you get a little [i]more[/i] than you pay for.[/b]

Do elucidate with examples of [i]this.[/i]
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 May 2003 09:14 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by RSCamaro92:
    [b]
    Do elucidate with examples of [i]this.[/i][/b]

Falken Azenis come to mind right away.

[This message has been edited by gary p (edited May 19, 2003).]

--
    19 May 2003 06:42 PM
    RobS...

Where are you getting shocks dynoed around here?

I am not far from K-zoo

--
    21 May 2003 02:04 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by gary p:
    Are the ADs like the Z06, offering exceptional performance for the dollar? Or are they more like a Mercury Marauder, just a fancy looking version of an every-day Crown Vic with little extra performance to show for the extra money paid. [/B]

Personally I would agree with the Z06 analogy from my experience. Having just upgraded from True Choice Koni SA's with GC sleeves to Advance Designs I'm in awe of their performance so far. My first event on them is this weekend at the Petersburg Pro so I should be able to give a better opinion of them then. We just corner weighted the car monday with excellent results. Granted street performance rarely tells the whole story compared to race use. So far tho they inspire excellent confidence in me along with excellent control. For what it's worth I feel very confident that they will perform their duty this weekend.

For the record I'm using them on a FWD sub-2500lbs car with 650F/800R Eibach springs. I'll try and remember to pass on my thoughts after this weekend!

------------------
    Matt Watkins
    2000 Integra GSR - DSP
    IM : Watkins215

--
    23 May 2003 08:08 AM
    I had a bad experience dealing with Jay (he does the AD shocks) at Ground Control. It was kind of like dealing with a meth addict. I’m thinking it doesn’t matter how good the product is if the support is handled badly.
    Vince

--
    03 Jun 2003 12:24 PM
    You don't need a super-advanced dyno to see what Advanced Designs do. A "regular" SPA sinusoidal will do just fine.

Hint: adjusters, should, you know, *adjust* something.

Good shocks are made by (in no particular order) Bilstein, Koni, Penske, Ohlins, and Sachs. Anything else should be carefully evaluated on an *independant dyno* before you part with your clams.

If you're on a budget, Bilstein make a great product that's very affordable and usually can be had in a user-rebuildable spec. The downside to Bilstein is that getting adjustability is a bit of an issue.

The Koni is another good budget shock. Konis can be had adjustable from the manufacturer and the adjuster works. They are also revalveable, although not by the end users like Bilsteins are. They also seem to have problems staying together, at least in high-force applications like Stock-class autocross.

So if you go Bilstein, you buy two sets and the spare set has a different valving in it. If you buy Koni, you buy a spare, identical set to replace the ones that blow out. SCCAForums Image

The next step up is Penske and Ohlins. Both are solid shocks. Sachs I know less about from firsthand experience, but they have a solid reputation at the top levels - anybody whose shocks are on an F1 car can probably be trusted.

Beware beware beware anybody making bespoke shocks. Trust me on this.

DG

--
    04 Jun 2003 08:03 AM
    I had the opportunity to drive Eric Hyman's SM Supra (running the AD shocks and GC coilovers) this past weekend. I am thoroughly impressed with the AD setup. The car cornered very smooth and FLAT! Compared to my Koni Yellows, the AD shocks are lightyears better. Excellent product, IMO, and well worth the advertised price. I'm sure the Penskes and Ohlins are yet a grade better, but, at half the cost, the Advanced Design shocks are a bargain buy.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

CarboTech 88x31 Button HoosierTire88x31
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button UltraRev 88x31
    Traqmate 88x31 Button Apex Detail Button
    Hyperfuels 88x31 Button Winding Road 88X31
    Sunoco 88x31 Button Rugged Radio 88
    saferacer
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    Race-Technology

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner