Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Sphinx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Jan 2001 11:26 AM
    Can someone tell me how long the SA95 helmets will be permitted (since the SA00 helmets are on their way out)? Is the rule the same in WC?

Just curious....

(yes, I know, I'll buy a rule book)

------------------
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6 (1 of 232)
    Solo2 - ESP
    asedanracer

--
    04 Jan 2001 06:56 PM
    Don't know about WC, but SCCA still allows the SA90s so I believe that the SA95s are safe for another 5 years or so.

------------------
    Chris Wire
    RaceCar Engineering
    A/S Mustang #35
    Central Florida Reg.

[url="http://home.mindspring.com/~twire"]http://home.mindspring.com/~twire[/URL]
    dplore

--
    04 Jan 2001 08:30 PM
    SA90 helmets will be allowed until the end of the 2001 racing season. SA95 helmets will be good until at least the end of the 2005 racing season.

-Darren
    Robert Pinkowski

--
    05 Jan 2001 04:57 PM
    Please bear in mind that although the helmet may be legal for a long period of time, the helmet itself may no longer be effective in keeping your brain safe. A 10 year old helmet is not the way to go and five years could be pushing it. While the helmet may look just fine from the outside, the liner - which is what protects you - can shrink over time and become brittle.

I work for a safety equipment manufacturer and was skeptical when these issues were first brought to my attention. I figured this was just a way to get drivers to buy a new helmet more often. This was until I was handed a ten year old helmet and listened as the liner banged around the inside of the fiberglass shell when I shook it.

Just something to think about.
    BMWRacerITS

--
    05 Jan 2001 05:05 PM
    Buy a $5 helmet if you have a $5 head.

In other words, of all the places to try and save money, this is the worst. Assuming you value your head...
    Sphinx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Jan 2001 05:22 AM
    I agree with you all for sure.

What I didn't want to do is to buy an SN95 helmet now (while some places are closing them out) and then it be outdated by the SN00 in the next year or two. But because of the marginal difference in cost, I'm getting an SN00. (I'm just an autocrosser...... for now. SCCAForums Image)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner