Maybe time for a new division
 13 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bobhines

--
06 Jan 2001 10:26 AM
    Does anyone besides me think that it may be time for a new division in the scca amatuer racing ranks. The high price of gas is making the tow to some track very expensive. I was thinking that maybe the NE and SE divisions could cede some of their southern and northern, respectively, to create a whole new racing division called MID-ATLANTIC. This new division could include tracks like Carolina Motorsports Park, VIR, Summit Point, Connellsville (if it ever comes back), Nelson Ledges and Pocono plus any new tracks that come on line between those points. Pocono could also hold races in the NE Division and Nelson could continue to also hold races in Central Division. Mosport, which is in another country, could continue in NE. Located in Virginia, our team never goes to Bryar as the towing time and tolls are just too much. Half of the tracks could hold two nationals on odd years and the other half on even years to make a more active racing program. Personally I just hate the long tows and would like to be able to get home on sunday night even if its a little late. Any other opinions???? bobhines
    Mo

--
    06 Jan 2001 02:29 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by bobhines:
    [b]Does anyone besides me think that it may be time for a new division ... create a whole new racing division called MID-ATLANTIC...Any other opinions???? bobhines[/b]

Bob, you've got my vote! The SeDiv is already politically divided.

------------------
    Mo
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mrmo/
    Peter Olivola

--
    07 Jan 2001 05:59 PM
    Speaking for no one but myself, NeDiv, my original SCCA home (NNJR) in the form of NNJR, Steel Cities and WNY would never accept such a move. They have such close ties to other clearly NeDiv tracks (Watkins Glen and Lime Rock) that it would be unthinkable to make such a move.

I would also question your contention about travel distances. You're spoiled. I drive from Chicago to 1-1/2 hours north of Minneapolis-St. Paul once a year to work a race. Detroit Region people have nearly the same haul to make the June Sprints, and it's in their division. Imagine what they have to do to make the Brainerd National.

No sympathy from me on this one.
    asedanracer

--
    07 Jan 2001 06:46 PM
    Bob,
    Speaking from SEDiv, we just got VIR, and we're not letting go of it!!!

I consider myself pretty well located down here in Central Florida, but here are my tow times:

Daytona - 1 hr
    Sebring - 1.75 hrs
    Moroso - 3 hrs
    Homestead - 5.5 hrs
    Road Atlanta - 8 hrs
    Roebling Road - 4 hrs
    Charlotte - 9 hrs

If I was trying to run Nationals at all of these tracks I would be killing myself.

------------------
    Chris Wire
    RaceCar Engineering
    A/S Mustang #35
    Central Florida Reg.

[url="http://home.mindspring.com/~twire"]http://home.mindspring.com/~twire[/URL]
    BMWRacerITS

--
    07 Jan 2001 08:22 PM
    Where I am in NC:

VIR: 1 hour (home track)
    Charlotte: 50 minutes
    CMP: 2 hours
    Road Atlanta: 5 hours
    Roebling: 6 hours
    Anywhere in Florida: I have no idea, too far for me. I can't take 4 day weekends in college.

I haven't been with the SCCA long enough to know whether I would support a new division or not. I do know that it would be to my benefit, as I can never compete for the SARRC without going down to Florida.
    Ken Grammer

--
    07 Jan 2001 08:49 PM
    Sediv, Alabama Region, from Birmingham, AL...

Daytona - 9 hr
    Sebring - 12 hrs
    Moroso - 12.5 hrs
    Homestead - Wouldn't even try SCCAForums Image
    Road Atlanta - 3 hrs
    Roebling Road - 6 hrs
    Charlotte - 6 hrs
    Barber Motorsports Part (when it opens) - 30 minutes SCCAForums Image

Stacey has a good questions... Will the travel times to and from the tracks change simply by changing the division map? SCCAForums Image

Objects in mirror are closer then they appear. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    Ken Grammer
    R.E. Alabama Region
    SEDiv AS Camaro #61
    Starter/F&C Worker
    NoSlow

--
    08 Jan 2001 09:13 AM
    You guys are killing me!!! 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 3 hours... in the same division! It must be nice.

From New Orleans (SW Div)
    TWS (pretty much only track in div) 7 hours
    Memphis (MW Div) 6 hours
    Road Atlanta (SE Div) 8 hours

Those are the closest ones to me and they're in three different divisions!!!

------------------
    M Squared Racing, #32FV
    SOWDIV Formula Vee
    http://www.m2racing.homepage.com
    bobhines

--
    08 Jan 2001 10:28 AM
    I just want to make a comment about travel times. Having gone to school and having lived in the midwest, towing along the northeastern seabord is very much different from cruising along the interstate elsewhere.
    In New Jersey, land of the toll booths, things go very slow. In one area on our trips to Lime Rock you have to pay a toll about every mile for at least 11 miles. Also the roads in some states are not direct, but wind around somewhat as the cows wandered back in colonial times.

As to VIR, Originally the track was in the Washington DC Region territory because all of the state of Virginia and Maryland were in our territory and the track was a NE division track. This would just bring it back where it may belong. Most of you who live in the SE admit that you don't go to the races in Florida as the tow is too long. We feel the same way about Bryar and I personally feel that we shouldn't be racing outside the US (Mosport) when we are really the sports car club of AMERICA.
    Peter Olivola

--
    08 Jan 2001 11:17 AM
    The situation you describe in New Jersey is quite an exageration. Do the math. What's the distance between the New Jersey Turnpike and the NYS Thruway on the GSP? There are three tolls. It sure ain't three miles (and you only stop to pick up the ticket and pay at the end when you get off the Turnpike. Bridges are extra.)

Just so you get some accuracy, Bob, the road with the highest tolls per mile is the NYS Thruway. If you go west/north from the GSP you'll get a toll immediately and then the ticket booth at Rt. 17. If you go east/south to take 684 you'll only get the toll at the Tappan Zee Bridge and then only eastbound. It's free when you come back. BTW, you do know that going east/south to pick up 684 is the fastest way to Lime Rock, don't you?

Then there's always Rt. 81, the western bypass, that hooks up with 278, 80 and then 287 to avoid all the NJ tolls entirely.

As to your midwest comments, all I can say is you haven't been stuck at the Illinois/Indiana border lately.

Still no sympathy.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobhines:
    [b]I just want to make a comment about travel times. Having gone to school and having lived in the midwest, towing along the northeastern seabord is very much different from cruising along the interstate elsewhere.
    In New Jersey, land of the toll booths, things go very slow. In one area on our trips to Lime Rock you have to pay a toll about every mile for at least 11 miles. Also the roads in some states are not direct, but wind around somewhat as the cows wandered back in colonial times.

As to VIR, Originally the track was in the Washington DC Region territory because all of the state of Virginia and Maryland were in our territory and the track was a NE division track. This would just bring it back where it may belong. Most of you who live in the SE admit that you don't go to the races in Florida as the tow is too long. We feel the same way about Bryar and I personally feel that we shouldn't be racing outside the US (Mosport) when we are really the sports car club of AMERICA. [/b]
    Mo

--
    08 Jan 2001 03:59 PM
    VIR: 1.25 hrs
    Summit Point: 2.75 hrs
    Charlotte: 3.5 hrs
    CMP: 4.5 hrs
    Mid Ohio: 7 hrs
    Road Atlanta: 6.5 hrs
    Roebling: 8
    Daytona: 10 hrs
    Indy: 25K frequent flyer points
    Long Beach: 25K frequent flyer points

Home early on Sunday evenings...priceless!

600+ days/14 yrs = ~43 days/year

------------------
    Mo
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mrmo/
    Anubis

--
    08 Jan 2001 05:33 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Ken Grammer:
    [b]Stacey has a good questions... Will the travel times to and from the tracks change simply by changing the division map? SCCAForums Image

[/b]

Yes, yes they will. Due to having the divisions being layed out differantly the distance between tracks will change. This can easily be explained, some new time space theory thingy.

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    HEMIDAYTNA

--
    10 Jan 2001 10:39 AM
    heck i'd just be happy driving to some scca event, getting out on the track & being able to race. I have been shunned because i have a neon that was built with a fia spec rollcage. it's funny i can drive it in world challange, but i can't drive it in local regional or club events....
    BMWRacerITS

--
    10 Jan 2001 11:10 AM
    HEMI- there are rules for a reason.

I assume by FIA spec, you mean going through the front firewall. That's too expensive for most in "entry-level" racing such as IT.

I'm sure you could run your car in a GT class if you really wanted to. Not to mention SPO/SPU, ITE, or ITGT...whichever one your division has.
    Flagger X

--
    10 Jan 2001 06:24 PM
    BMWRacer is quite correct. With a world challenge rulebook, [and possibly your logbook] you can run your car in ITE in the CenDiv. GT might be a problem because GT has other requirements. The thing to do is contact your regional chief of tech and talk to him/her. Your region should have an open tech night, or make an arrangement to have an annual tech run on your Neon, in the class you'd like to run. Your regional race chair should also be able to put you in touch with the right people.

The thing is, talk to the people in your region with race responsibilities. Regions want you to come out and play, and workers do too because we love high car counts. A little networking will get your Neon on track.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner