Summit Point threatened
 9 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Flagger X

--
11 Jan 2001 12:01 PM
    I am posting this because a zoning meeting is scheduled January 16th because a lobbying group is essentially trying to force the closure of Summit Point Raceway, by limiting the hours to less than Waterford hills and the sound to 65 db

>Subject: Hearing on Future of Summit Point!

>Show your support for Bill Scott and Summit Point Raceway!

At 7:30PM on January 16, 2001, the Jefferson County Planning Commission will be holding a "public input" hearing regarding requests to both expand and greatly limit activities at Summit Point Raceway. We are asking that all members interested in showing their support for Summit Point Raceway contact Don Caldwell
    (301) 384-3455. We very much would like to have members who live in Jefferson County attend this meeting to show our support for Summit Point. The meeting will be held at 108 E. Washington Street in Charles Town at 7:30 p.m. on the Tuesday the 16th, but we would like people to arrive at 7PM.

IT IS EXTREMLY IMPORTANT THAT WE MAKE OUR PRESENCE KNOWN! A group called Citizens Against Raceway Expansion (CARE) is lobbying for a change in zoning. Use of the track would be restricted to 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Mondays through Saturdays and from noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays and a dB limit of _65_. For reference, an electric typewriter at 10 feet is 64 dB and a typical highway noise is dB!

If this is passed, our racing program gets hit hard. This is NOT a regular meeting of the Planning Commission, so we do not expect that we will have the >opportunity to speak. None-the-less, it is important >that we have people present to show that the Washington racing community supports their community through our spending. We are doing this to show our support for Bill Scott and Summit Point Raceway.

Any questions? Contact Don Caldwell (301) 384-3455 or dccald@aol.com
    ITA-MR2

--
    11 Jan 2001 08:21 PM
    Two things, and I'm very much in support of Summit Point:

1). It has been judged in U.S. District Court that it is unconstitutional to rezone a property without the owner's express consent. It is viewed as a "taking", and violates the 4th amendment.

A city may annex a property, and subject it to certain new restrictions, or may even impose an "extra-territorial zoning district", but it may not outlaw what was already there before the zoning was in place. It then must be given "grandfathered non-conforming" zoning status until which time that the property has not been employed for the non-conforming uses for a period of one calendar year.

2). I have a major problem with people who buy a house next to an airport and then bitch about the noise! SCCAForums Image And I have said as much in cases with similar zoning appeals.

Cheers,
    Norm Floyd
    25 year SCCA member
    Member - Little Rock (AR) Board of Zoning Adjustment
    (and NOT a lawyer SCCAForums Image )

[This message has been edited by ITA-MR2 (edited January 11, 2001).]
    Anubis

--
    11 Jan 2001 08:57 PM
    Until as a country we quit listening to this crap....from judges to commisions it will keep happenning. Its a crime shame you have people who are so damned rich they get their rocks off shutting things down. Its absurd. One thing as a racing community we can do is to flood the commisions email boxes with well reasoned letters against the morons. Snag those email addresses and I will be definatly fire off something.

------------------
    Lance Snyder
    Atlanta Region F&C
    Bill Howe

--
    15 Jan 2001 11:09 AM
    Ditto on the Email addresses. I'm sure Summit has been around alot longer than these Yahoos have lived near the track. The first SCCA race I ever went to was at Summit in 1982, when a friend and I drove up from VA Beach for the weekend . What a great place to race and watch racing. People who complain about racetracks, airports, and military bases which were in place long before they moved to an area should be locked up somewhere nice a queit.
    9t9ws6ta

--
    18 Jan 2001 06:59 AM
    i'm new at this, where is summit point raceway? state/town? SCCAForums Image
    thanks, mario.
    Flagger X

--
    18 Jan 2001 06:54 PM
    Summit point raceway is located in Summit Point West Virginia, which is actually very near Maryland and Virginia, and is home track of the Washington DC region. It is a very fast, hilly track and a lot of fun to drive
    Dave Ebersole

--
    22 Jan 2001 10:56 AM
    The problem is that Bill Scott is expanding the track (which is great from our viewpoint!) but needsw a zoning change from Agricultural to Industrial to do it. It opens up the process for the whiners and complainers. Apparently there has been an agreement between Summit Point and the whiners group and another public meeting is scheduled on Feb. 13. Anyone who wants to show up at 7:30 PM at the Charles Town WV Planning Commision Office and show their support for the track is surely welcome. The last meeting had maybe 100 track supporters and 10 whiners. The whiners may gather more support for the next meeting.
    firechicken

--
    08 Feb 2001 07:00 PM
    does anyone know the current status of this threat to summit point? I run there quite often and would hate not to have my son race there in the not too distant future.
    Mo

--
    09 Feb 2001 03:00 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by firechicken:
    [B]does anyone know the current status of this threat to summit point?B]

Another plea for letters went out just this week. Seems there is another meeting scheduled for next week(?). Use same addresses as were shown in earlier posts to express value of track.

Mo

------------------
    Mo
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mrmo/
    Karl Bocchieri

--
    11 Feb 2001 01:07 PM
    I live on Long Island NY and watched as Bridghampton was plowed under, It can happen. Local zoning boards cater to the people living around tracks even though the track was there first. All you need is a developer that has some money and wants to build a golf course and some houses and your finished. Good luck
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner