2001 Miata
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Speed Racer

--
01 Jan 2001 02:11 PM
    Will the 2001 Miata remain in BS or move to AS? They are up to 155 hp and can get a 6 spd manual.
    celica73

--
    01 Jan 2001 03:44 PM
    Everything I hear, they will remain in BS. I also hear from some die hard Miata folks thaty they are not any quicker than the previous models. Mostly straight line performance that is, might be better with proper setup.

If you dont need luggage, the new MR2 is the one to look out for (IMHO). BS should be quite exciting this year, it is not longer the spec Miata class. No matter who wins, a little competition is a good thing!

Scott
    '00 Celica GTS GS
    '73 Celica ST SM/DM
    Chris M

--
    02 Jan 2001 11:17 AM
    I own a 2000 Miata and I was concerned about this as well.

The new '01 is advertized as having more power as the 99/00 but dyno reports to data have not shown a 'huge' increase. The car is also about 120-150 lbs heavier and is not faster in a straight line.

Track tests have shown that the 99/00 car is a tad faster but this could probably go either way with the right driver. Also, the 6-speed works well on paper but the Solo2 national results and other tests havent shown the 6sp to provide an advantage.
    Garfield
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Jan 2001 11:22 AM
    It's definitely B Stock. We've been hashing this on the Miata Forum (Miata.net) for awhile now.
    Big problems are
    - the 16's that are heavier and don't have a proper AutoX tire yet (205/45R16)
    - Packages don't work out to an ideal autox setup (ie: no Sport without 16's, no LSD without 16's)
    - heavier car, and those that have dyno'd aren't seeing more horsepower than '99-'00's (sounds like a Mustang Cobra problem again)

In my opinion, the only ideal one will be a LSD on a Base package (if possible), get shocks, front bar, and an alignment. Even this isn't great if the power isn't what it's supposed to be.

I'm waiting for someone to get one truly "broken in" to get some times on it. The 10AE is still the fastest straight line, and the '99 Sport and 10AE are probably the best bet for Miatas in B Stock.

I would say the MR2 Spyder is a great equalizer, better power performance but the lack of an LSD will keep it from dominating. Tim Aro will be running one this year, so that will show it's certainly a contender/winner.

I'm definitely glad to see the competition and variations of the Miata.
    Chris M

--
    02 Jan 2001 12:51 PM
    Garfield,

I forgot to ask: What did Tim Aro run last year and what did he place?

Do you have a link to the Solo2 National results? I read them a few months ago but lost the link.

EDIT: Oh, he came in second. Now i'm worried!

Thanks
    -Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris M (edited January 02, 2001).]
    Garfield
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Jan 2001 08:44 PM
    10AE.
    CamaroFS34
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Jan 2001 06:44 PM
    Oh come on, now, Brian.... [b]anything[/b] can be competitive with Tim Aro driving it! SCCAForums Image And I say that in all sincerity, as one of his former co-drivers!!

Karen Kraus
    1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (FS34) [url="http://www.erols.com/kiirenza/trisk"]http://www.erols.com/kiirenza/trisk[/URL]

------------------
    "You never get away, you only get someplace else" -- Lovka's Dilemma
    Garfield
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Jan 2001 11:49 AM
    You're right Karen, actually, I've said that somewhere else here once, forgot to mention it in this thread.
    See you on the 13th with yet ANOTHER new alignment!
    gsrroger
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Jan 2001 05:28 AM
    Slightly off the topic here, but I may come into some cash later this year (aka, quit grad school and get my ass a job) and I've been debating whether I'll buy a Miata or an MR2 with my newfound "wealth".

I kinda like the MR2 better (aside from the nasty styling), but I was wondering about what you could use for race tires... The fronts are 185/55-15's. I'd suspect that there is a narrower wheel on the front, and getting a 205/50-15 (the narrowest 15" race tire I've seen) on there might be a bit of a stretch. Of course the rear of the car has 205/50s stock, so no problem in the back end.

Anyone know what's up with that? Are the front wheels the same width as the rear? Thanks SCCAForums Image
    Speed Racer

--
    05 Jan 2001 08:19 AM
    What I've seen people run are 205/50R15's in the front and 225/45R15's in the rear with tires being Hoosiers of course.
    Garfield
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Jan 2001 09:30 AM
    Also, aside from racing on the stock rims, you'll have to run two different brands front and rear. The SSR's fit on the rear, but not the front, although they might fit with the new 38mm 15x6 that's coming. I believe the 40mm Miata 15x6's fit fine. The rears are 15x7 I think.

Anyway, the MR2 and Miata are going to be fairly equal I think, but if next year brings an LSD for the MR2, that's the direction to go.
    ConeMan

--
    05 Jan 2001 03:59 PM
    MR2 Spyder

Front Wheel 15X6 ET 45mm 14.6 lbs.
    Rear Wheel 15X6.5 ET 45mm 15.2 lbs.

Some autocrossers are running

205/50/15 Front
    225/50/15 Rear
    With spacer on all four corners
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Mooresport Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner