Street Tire Question
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JackH

--
01 Jan 2001 04:06 PM
    I run an SS Corvette in street tire classes.
    In the NCCC (National Council Of Corvette Clubs) autox, they allow any tire that was optional on the corvette, not jsut the tire the car came with.

So, in NCCC I could run 315/35/17 rears on my '92 C4, even though the tire was only an option on certain models.

Does anyone knwo what the SCCA rule is?
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Jan 2001 04:32 PM
    You can run any brand of street tire (treadwear of 140 or higher), however you can only run any size wheel that came on the vehicle, or was available for that year. You could stuff a 315 on your 9 1/2, and be legal, but you couldn't run an 11" rear wheel. Also, this is going to very on your region, at the national level STS doesn't allow a tire that big period. Hope that helps,
    Dave
    Canuck

--
    02 Jan 2001 05:57 AM
    Curious.... I have a 96 Grand Sport and it seems I get bumped into higher classes simply because of the wheel size... 11 inch and this is stock! Is this right?

Canuck
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Jan 2001 07:02 AM
    Canuck, you are ok... since you have a '96, it was an option on LT-4 6spds (known as Grand Sport) As long as you update your car with the same springs, & bars, as the GS you are legal to run 11" rears.
    Dave
    Canuck

--
    03 Jan 2001 10:34 PM
    Thanks Dave... no updates yet as this car has less than 8000 miles on her! I'm running the original GSC's and was wondering to what degree 'sticky' tires would change the class. I don't anticipate using these soon as I still enjoy driving to the events and this doesn't allow for tire changes. Still can't bring myself to trailer from a vette!

Thanks
    Canuck
    breaka_1_9

--
    04 Jan 2001 06:51 AM
    I just wanted to add to Dave Schotzs comment that in STS the tire must have a treadwear taing of 140, but in the STOCK class, there isn't a treadwear requirement as racing tires can be used.

------------------
    [b]99 Integra GS w/AGXs[/b]
    dkizerian

--
    04 Jan 2001 08:28 AM
    also, STS is a moot point, as no corvette is legal!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner