Recomendaions for GS Tires?
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ndmorespd

--
03 Jan 2001 02:44 AM
    Preparing to run GS this year (as Street Tires was a joke and I almost cuaght most of the local GS'r on my Street Tires anyway...)

Anyway what do you recommend as far as track only tires legal for Stock Solo II?

------------------
    Mike
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
    Sacramento Chapter #25
    G/ST `00 Champion!
    GS or STS/R `01
    subrew.com

--
    03 Jan 2001 07:07 AM
    Hi,

I have been running 225/50-16 Yoko A-008RSIIs. That said, i intend to swtich to Kumhos (either the older V700 or new V700) or Hoosiers.

On my car...the 225's wouldn't fit without a thin spacer on the rear. I made up a 1/4" and 3/16" set. This allowed the tire to clear the strut, but did slightly rub the outer fender molding lip. More so with the 1/4" spacers...

Oh yeah...last year i ran basically stock, except for cat back, Amsoil air filter, and urethane bushings in the front anti-roll bar. I have since added my KYB AGXs.

Hope this helps.

Chris Hartman
    Roseburg, OR
    Speed Racer

--
    03 Jan 2001 09:31 AM
    For dual purpose track/solo2, the A032R's look good but are not the stickiest R compound tire out there. BFG pulled the plug on their solo program however the G-Force R1's are used on the track by various racing teams. [url="http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/"]http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/[/URL]
    has Pirellis that are road race compound that might be legal for Solo2 if they are DOT approved but $200/tire for 205/55R16. Goodyears R tires are available in 225/50R16 but I would be keen about clearance issues on Subaru in the rear. Remember, road race compounds do not heat up as fast as like a Hoosier autox compound tire. Another tire is the Yokohama A022 OEM tire, treadwear 120, available in a 215/45R16 from [url="http://www.discounttiredirect.com"]www.discounttiredirect.com[/URL]
    for ~$176 or $196/tire. Hope this opens up more options and maybe more questions.
    ludedaddy96

--
    03 Jan 2001 10:11 AM
    for solo2 I would go with the Kumho victoracers, they have great wear on them and they're stickier than alot of other r compounds.. the best part about them is the price

------------------
    SCCAForums Image
    STS #22
    96 FBP Prelude S
    www.ckrscca.org
    StageOne

--
    03 Jan 2001 12:25 PM
    I have used a set of Kumhos for two seasons and they were great. Though I did notice that they are getting quite worn and tended to slie more at the last few events this year. But it does speak well for their durablilty. Hoosiers on the other hand or more delicate and have a shorter life span.

As far as the Yok. A022s, they were designed for a specific corner of the NSX, so I would not use this tire. You may experience strange handling. (This is the same reason I cannot use the RE010 tire size 205/50 on my Type R)
    Sardonic

--
    05 Jan 2001 11:00 AM
    No contest, I would say the Hoosiers are the best, but are near the worst in price and durability. The Kumhos are nice for the price. Personally, I like the Toyo Proxies.

------------------
    MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
    Speed Racer

--
    05 Jan 2001 12:00 PM
    Kuhmos are around 6-7 lbs heavier than the Hoosiers of the same 225/50R16 size. I know that the 225/50R16 Hoosiers will not fit the Impreza in the rear.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner