Miata: Removing Tie-Down Hooks Legal?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Chris M

--
03 Jan 2001 05:51 PM
    Just curious. They're used to hold the car in place on the boat from Japan. Might want to remove them for looks someday
    -Chris
    Lee

--
    03 Jan 2001 06:08 PM
    Chris,

While not legal, most of the Miataphile in ETR Region remove the to discourage tow persons from thinking they are tow hooks. Also - a mesh to protect the radiator is popular.

Lee

------------------
    FFR Cobra Replica #2294
    gecko

--
    04 Jan 2001 05:10 AM
    can't speak to the legality of it but I nosed around alot of M2s at the solo nationals and noticed quite a few without the hooks. I've never had any problems locally but then my dealer removed them before I took possession so that a grill could be installed to protect the radiator. Sadly, this competent dealer sold its Mazda franchise soon after. Might be a question to pose to Denver.
    Garfield
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Jan 2001 11:46 AM
    Technically, it's illegal.
    But, I'm sorry, you'd have to be a REAL jerk to protest someone for this (re: sore looser).
    gecko

--
    04 Jan 2001 02:55 PM
    heard from Duncan in Denver today & yes it is technically illegal but oft ignored. I agree with Brian (oops Garfield) that you would have to be a real horse's *ss to protest someone over it. But they are out there.
    Chris M

--
    04 Jan 2001 05:21 PM
    I'll keep them on because there are many shades of grey.

A guy at our club used to run cross drilled rotors on his Acura which technically would have been illegal in his class. He explained that because he was "poor" and that stock rotors were more expensive AND that cross drilled rotors wouldnt really help any, that no one should have a problem. No one protested, I guess because they didnt want to be a jerk. If someone had protested however, I would not have had any ill feelings towards him/her If the richest guy in the club rolled up with that same mod on his new car, I *guarantee* there would be protests.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner