6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Andy 02

--
28 Dec 2000 12:55 AM
    Howdy all,

I keep hearing conflicting information on the use of coilovers in SP -- the rules seem to say they're permitted (14.5 C, 14.8 A), but...

I'll leave this question open ended in the interest of discussion.

Andy -- '97 M3
    ET

--
    28 Dec 2000 02:06 AM
    I always wondered if the SCCA had a "Maybe Committee". It sure seems that way when you read the rulebook.I've got the same doubts about an adjustible rear spring on my B\SP 'Vette. If you read the Rules enough times it might be 1.Legal or 2.Not Legal.Maybe!!!
    kiva75

--
    28 Dec 2000 04:15 PM
    If you read in 14.8 A it states "must use original spring attachment points". On my car the spring attatchment points are the a- arms, not the shock, but on some cars it is the shock. I think that this is an unfair rule because if I had a car with shock mounted springs originally, then I can use any shock/spring combination available, which would give me a distinct advantage over others who are restricted by this rule.

My interpretation,

Britt

------------------
    "The Cosworth Twin Cam, one Vega for the price of two"
    johng

--
    28 Dec 2000 04:58 PM
    As kiva75 noted, you must utilize the factory (original) attachment (mounting) points. Having a Honda, this rule works [b]for[/b] me. If only I had $2,500 for a race quality threaded shock body set-up SCCAForums Image.

kiva75: I think I remember seeing your Cosworth Vega at the Bremerton NT last season. Didn't get to see it run though.

------------------
    1993 Civic Si CSP/IC
    Jellybean Racing #93
    Sponsored by [url="http://www.NipponPower.com"]www.NipponPower.com[/URL]
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Dec 2000 05:22 PM
    As long as the shock attachment points aren't changed, I believe you can run Coilovers. I guess all the cars I have modified have a design type where the spring is mounted to the shock. I good answer may be the BSP Vettes... Have they done this... if not, then I would say it is not legal.
    Matter of fact, Now that I think about it, Guy Ankeny in a C4 Corvette was testing a carbon fiber tranverse spring, so I would have to say it isn't legal, because you can easily retro fit the Vette's for Coil Overs, but you would have to remove the Factory Spring Mounting Location.
    Sorry!
    Dave
    Andy 02

--
    28 Dec 2000 07:32 PM
    Okay then, somewhat less of a black and white matter. I'm glad I'm not going crazy. SCCAForums Image

In my case, I've got Mac Pherson struts, so essentially using the same thing with an adjustable height perch should be okay, or at least jive with what everyone's saying.

For the back, it looks like changing the arrangement's not okay, but putting on a spring perch that's height adjustable should work.

Thanks all!

Andy
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Dec 2000 07:38 PM
    Yup Andy, I think you are good to go!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner