VTEC controllers in CSP??
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
EG2solo

--
31 Dec 2000 07:28 AM
    I know ECU mods are ok, but what about add on VTEC controllers??

TIA..

Jeff
    honda93
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Jan 2001 07:44 AM
    Jeff,

Although I am not 100% certain, I don't see why you can't use one considering cu$tom FI and ignition systems may be added. I do know that boost control is illegal on turbo cars, but I really wouldn't consider a VTEC controller a means of adding power, just a means of controlling the RPM range when it comes on.

On a personal note, I know this guy who tried it once and had some wacky results. Granted he tried one from Summit Racing, not something from say HKS or Mugen, but in the end I think he realized it was best to stay with what Honda engineered in the first place... He went on to take 2nd (out of something like 50+ regular entrants) in CSP that year.

I hope this info helps.

Happy New Year!

Anthony "Mario" Crea

------------------
    NNJR-SCCA
    1993 Honda Civic DX
    STR / FSP #8
    EG2solo

--
    01 Jan 2001 01:43 PM
    Tony,

I know that guy, a real knucklehead sometimes. Doesn't know when bad money is spent. Turns out that VTEC switch wasn't OBDII compatible and kept throwing a MAP sensor code..

The APC controlles use the MAP sensor as part of the VTEC control to richen the fuel mixture so it doesn;t throw codes......
    Just wanted to make sure a "piggy back" system was OK

Thanks again
    thedoc

--
    01 Jan 2001 09:41 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by EG2solo:
    [b]I know ECU mods are ok, but what about add on VTEC controllers??[/b]

As I see things, an "ECU" mod isn't what's allowed by the rules. What is allowed is that both fuel injection and ignition systems are free (as mentioned by honda93). Yes, these functions are typically integrated into the ECU on a modern car.

However, VTEC and other VVT systems are still relatively new and not common across many different vehicles. Ok, so VTEC has been around a while - but how many production vehicles came equipped with it? It's hardly commonplace.

It is essentially an area that is not covered by the rules. So, if it doesn't say you can, then you can't. To back this up, I have two points:

1) Camshaft mods are not allowed. Wouldn't modifying a VTEC system be akin to modifying the cam? Why should an electronic method be allowed when the mechanical equivalent isn't?

2) As far as ECU's not being free by nature of FI and ignition being free, look at the aforementioned turbo rule. Many cars have turbo boost controlled by the ECU. For this function, the ECU must be retained. Making this work with another FI or ignition system is your problem. SCCAForums Image

BTW, A while back Sport Compact car added an aftermarket ECU system to their project Imprezza. I forget what they called it, but they also retained the stock ECU, primarily for the purposes of running instruments and the like. But the new system handled all of the fuel and ignition. So, it is possible to make an aftermarket and stock ECU work together.

------------------
    1990 Supra Turbo - NHA Hillclimbs, SCCA Solo II, Wannabe Rallyist
    SCCAForums Image
    [url="http://www.premier1.net/~thedoc wrote:
    www.premier1.net/~thedoc[/URL]
    Crack Monkey

--
    02 Jan 2001 04:17 AM
    Even if it turns out to be legal, make sure you do some serious dyno tuning. Many 1320 guys have found VTEC controller to be useless on cars that are running stock cams and induction.
    EG2solo

--
    02 Jan 2001 03:44 PM
    Thanks for all the info...

I really wanted the controller more to adjust timing and fuel curves, not for the VTEC controls. I think the switch over is perfect the way it is. But a VTEC controller was the most cost effective way to get a fuel map controller. I tried just a VTEC switch but didn't improve performance.

Another question though, If aftermarket piggy back systems are allowed, why can't a chipped computer be used??? Or even another ECU altogether???
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner