Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lundgren
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Nov 2001 12:38 PM
    See [url="http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35967"]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35967[/URL]

I've assembled this trailer. How fast can you tow this trailer for those who have owned it.

This one above is the 12'' tire version. I want to toe to for hundreds of miles at a time.. can it handle 70 mph?

The manual says 45 max? That sounds a little painful.

------------------
    2002 Corvette Z06
    #31 SS

[url="http://www.groupbuycenter.com"]http://www.groupbuycenter.com[/URL]
    vee5

--
    18 Nov 2001 05:55 PM
    As someone who has trailered all different sized trailers and combinations. I would say you could possibly do about 60mph with a trailer like that before it starts to weave and bob. I think at 70, you would have big problems. Remember to check wheel bearings regularly.
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Nov 2001 10:18 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by lundgren:
    [b]The manual says 45 max? That sounds a little painful. [/b]

That's lawyer-speak for "covering your ass(ets)."

Carry a spare, watch tire pressures (the #1 cause of tire failure), and as everyone has said (on other forums), make sure that the bearings have grease and you should be fine.

------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX
    73celica

--
    19 Nov 2001 06:46 AM
    I have the version with the little tires. It has handled 75-80 mph for 2+ hour runs with no problems.

I only run 225/50-15 tires though, so I might have a little less weight.

Scott
    Phantom
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Nov 2001 07:08 AM
    Followed one towed by a Porsche TT. Did triple digit speed for about 30 minutes.
    subrew.com

--
    19 Nov 2001 07:53 AM
    Built one of these trailors to tow behind my DSP Yugo many years back. Filled with four tires, jack, air tank etc, it would run fine at normal highway speeds.

No jokeing...it also ran fine at 128mph (8,000 rpm in 4th gear) for 10 minutes across eastern Oregon. I think it actually improved the aerodynamics of the Yugo! I built mine with foam and fiberglass to make a fully enclosed unit, with opening lids etc.

Chris H.
    www,subrew.com
    Nexus242

--
    19 Nov 2001 02:59 PM
    I think you can pull up to 70 mph on the highway. Just lower the suspension, built a shell on it like the new U-haul ones you can rent.
    SCCAForums Image SCCAForums Image
    I'd love to have one of these with matching rims and paint to haul behind my honda!!

------------------
    [b]SCCA CFR STS #242[/b]
    SCCAForums Image
    [b]15" Flat Black Rota Slipstreams arriving 11.20.2001!![/b]

[This message has been edited by Nexus242 (edited November 19, 2001).]
    vee5

--
    19 Nov 2001 03:50 PM
    These trailers are not really meant to travel great distances at high speed. As someone that has experenced a trailer tire blow out and breaking a tongue lock(just driveing down the road). You people are nuts; I hope some day that you do not lose your little trailers and hurt someone bad.
    Trailering is serious business!!!

Rich
    Adam Polley

--
    19 Nov 2001 05:06 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by vee5:
    [b] You people are nuts; Trailering is serious business!!![/b]

Yeah man, one of these guys could catch you. SCCAForums Image Drive it like you stole it!
    gecko

--
    21 Nov 2001 03:21 AM
    Put about 8k on my HF kit trailer last year. Did quite a few 3 hour stints at over 70mph behind a Miata. Never had a problem & it always tracked straight & true. Checking air pressure is essential as is an annual 'rotation' of the tires and bearing repacks. Having towed sailboats all around the country for too many years I can honestly say I've never had a flat (luckily).On my HF I added bearing buddy caps and hit them with a shot of fresh grease before every long trip. Also whenever I stop the very first thing I do when exiting the tow vehicle is feel the hubs for excess heat. I also loctited all of the nuts on the trailer even though they are nylocs. Have not had anything come loose yet.0
    G1

--
    21 Nov 2001 03:43 PM
    I have "heard" of one with 12" tires that did a 2000 mile 10 day trip with as many as 4 hr straight expressway sprints @ >80mph, and occasionally nearing 90mph behind a familiar looking red Miata without a wiggle or wimper, but I wouldn't know anything about that... SCCAForums Image
    Agree with others, bearing buddies, synthetic wheelbearing grease, check the hub temps every stop. Mine has traveled >6000 miles in the past year.
    Weak points: wheel bearings if not lubed regularly, fenders cracking at attachment bolts (common) I took mine off when I started to notice cracking. Tailight bulbs, bouncing breaks a filament ~ every month or two, carry spares if going out of town or on nite trips.

------------------
    TEAM POINTLESS
    B/S 99 Miata his
    E/S 02 Celica hers
    Nexus242

--
    22 Nov 2001 06:02 AM
    I don't see how trailer tire will blow more often then normal street tires?? Screw trialer tires and rims I'm getting some 15x6.5" slipstreams to match my car and throw on some cheap Yok Avids H4. If you pack your bearings regularly then towing should be safely done. Plus I think he's only looking at going to Auto-Xs with spare tires and not cannonball running across the US.

Maybe you could throw a Double wing on it to create more down force to keep it on the road better??

------------------
    [b]SCCA CFR STS #242[/b]
    SCCAForums Image
    [b]15" Flat Black Rota Slipstreams are like Whoa!![/b]
    GSBMW325is

--
    22 Nov 2001 09:30 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nexus242:
    [b]

Maybe you could throw a Double wing on it to create more down force to keep it on the road better??

[/b]

LMAO!!!!!! That would be a sight!

------------------
    SCCAForums Image

Keith White
    95 BMW 325is
    #19 GS Utah Region SCCA
    [url="http://www.team-arg.com wrote:
    Team-Arg[/URL]
    G1

--
    23 Nov 2001 06:44 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nexus242:
    [b]Maybe you could throw a Double wing on it to create more down force to keep it on the road better??

[/b]

My next mod! THANKS!!!!!
    LOL

Truth is, these little trailers tow surprisingly well if not drastically overloaded and weight distributed to have no less than ~ 50# of tongue weight fully loaded, backing one up tho is another matter entirely...

------------------
    TEAM POINTLESS
    B/S 99 Miata his
    E/S 02 Celica hers

[This message has been edited by G1 (edited November 23, 2001).]
    G1

--
    15 Jul 2005 06:42 PM
    To update a 4 year old post:
    We are still using that same trailer and it has traveled over 200,000 miles on the original tires! I carry a spare, but it hasn't been off the carrier in 4 years. The only issue we have had is one axle bearing disintegrated on the trip to Ft Meyers in 03. Trailer made it fine, but I noticed the wheel was rocking a lot as I pushed it around the paddock. A trip to the local HF to pick up a new hub and bearings (they didn't have a set of bearings alone in stock) and 20 minutes work made it good as new. I've carried an extra hub and bearing set since but have yet to need it. This season I built a new rack to hold two sets of tires and the same Wally world tool box and it tows even better with a little more weight on it. So far it has been to Atlanta Pro, 6hrs each way, Oscoda Pro, 16 hrs e.w., and Ayer tour 15 hrs e.w. at speeds I won't publicly document, without a wimper. These trailers are amazing, I don't think you can kill one without resorting to dynamite!
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Jul 2005 08:05 PM
    Chuck,

I recommend that you replace the tires due to (their) age. Four years is a long time for any tire, especially if it has a lot of outdoor time between events but maybe even if you store it inside. Miles and I can tell some stories about what can happen with old tires, even if they've never been abused or even used "hard".

Dick
    solonut

--
    20 Jul 2005 08:52 PM
    My HF trlr has coil-overs rides smooth as glass:) no leaf springs
    Escargo

--
    20 Aug 2005 12:20 AM

If I were to be driving this vehicle( http://www.Offline.org/~glhs/OMGstupid/OMGstupid2.jpg ) What would a safe speed be driving down the hwy towing the HF trailer?

I saw this in CA atop the Chirico Summit(I-10 east of Indio). When the Jeep hit a bump, the rear suspension didn't move. I'm just glad I was traveling the opposite way.

EricH

--
    08 Oct 2005 06:00 PM

I have towed this trailer at speeds of up to...lets just say irresponsible. The trailer is fine at normal highway speeds. Mine is now for sale as a matter of fact. $300 with spare, fold down stand, large box and waterproof lights. In Boston MA area.

ericheinrich@comcast.net

EricH

--
    08 Oct 2005 06:02 PM

vee5 wrote:
    These trailers are not really meant to travel great distances at high speed. As someone that has experenced a trailer tire blow out and breaking a tongue lock(just driveing down the road). You people are nuts; I hope some day that you do not lose your little trailers and hurt someone bad.
    Trailering is serious business!!!

Rich

Mine has made it fine for 3 seasons to race tracks all over the northeast with no problems whatsoever. Have you ever used one?

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner