What class will 2002 WRX be in?
 13 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ponykix

--
30 Dec 2000 05:00 PM
    I have been looking into the new 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX. 2.0 Liter turbo AWD. What class would I be able to run in with stock trim? Thanks in advance.
    JJTheSubeDriver

--
    30 Dec 2000 05:05 PM
    I've heard they are going to class it in AS. THis would make since since the Audi S4 is also in AS.

------------------
    JJ Cassa
    Cont Divide Region
    STR 26- 2000 Subaru 2.5RS
    www.usawrx.com
    Speed Racer

--
    01 Jan 2001 02:04 PM
    Actually, there are no US specs available so the SEB cannot even begin to try to class the WRX.
    JJTheSubeDriver

--
    01 Jan 2001 06:24 PM
    Likely specs will be from what I have heard:

227HP
    AWD
    Strut Suspension
    Big Brakes

We'll know in a week...

------------------
    JJ Cassa
    Cont Divide Region
    STR 26- 2000 Subaru 2.5RS
    www.usawrx.com
    AliBen

--
    01 Jan 2001 07:51 PM
    AS sounds correct though.
    ~
    where would the same car go if 'bolt on' modifications were put on the car????
    SM???????
    steven

------------------
    MY98 Impreza RS #44
    SCCA Houston Region #032
    Member#R279693 Green/Gold
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Jan 2001 12:08 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by AliBen:
    [b]AS sounds correct though.
    ~
    where would the same car go if 'bolt on' modifications were put on the car????
    SM???????
    steven

[/b]

Don't go tryin' to put in into ESP SCCAForums Image Probably in ASP until they determine its potential (the SEB is usually conservative). Or BP, EM, or SM.

------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX
    ColinL

--
    02 Jan 2001 03:41 PM
    Won't be legal for STS, even though it is only .2L more than the VW and fwd Audi 1.8T [i]specificially allowed[/i] for 2001. Too much power bone stock.

Of course it will be legal for SM, way above the proposed weight specs and way below the 3.0L OHC forced induction limit, plus it has four seats.

However at close to 3100lb it would be foolish to choose a new WRX over a turbocharged 2.5L 93-01 impreza for use in SM, except for the obvious lure of sponsorship money.

Anyway, I would agree with the AS classing. 0-60 will be about 6s flat and no, the US version doesn't have big brakes even with the optional 17" wheels. I would also agree with ESP, although it would move quickly if proven competitive so perhaps it would start out life in BP until someone campaigned it and was trounced enough to convince the SEB that it belongs in ESP.

------------------
    -Colin
    99 Impreza 2.5RS SM#22
    ndmorespd

--
    03 Jan 2001 02:52 AM
    ColinL,

First nice to see how many Impreza-rs.com people are over on this forum, Welcome!

Second, why not legal for STS? I know it says no more than X liters adjusted, maybe I don't understand the adjustment...

------------------
    Mike
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
    Sacramento Chapter #25
    G/ST `00 Champion!
    GS or STS/R `01
    ColinL

--
    03 Jan 2001 06:49 AM
    The WRX won't be legal because it's turbo, which up until this year was [i]verboten[/i] from ST. Until they [b]specifically allowed[/b] the Audi/VW 1.8T FWD models (not AWD).

I imagine the reason turbo/supercharged was disallowed originally was because of the easy mods that can net a lot more HP.

I would also imagine one reason the 1.8T was allowed in anyway is the low flow capability of the stock turbo and the popularity of the cars. It's all about the numbers, man. SCCAForums Image

But anyway, the WRX will be rated at 227HP. Slightly unbalancing for the class IMO.

------------------
    -Colin
    99 Impreza 2.5RS SM#22
    gsrroger
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Jan 2001 09:15 AM
    I thought subaru was using a different awd system in the wrx? Or will it still use the viscious coupled diffs?

I'd think with power like that, you'd want a torsen center diff, at least...

edit - point of my post being that, I would suspect that even if turbo was allowed into ST in some capacity OTHER than the VW 1.8t's, the WRX will likely still be ineligible, due to the LSD thing...

[This message has been edited by gsrroger (edited January 03, 2001).]
    Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Jan 2001 01:03 PM
    The biggest difference between allowing the 1.8T VW and the new WRX, besides 77 hp stock, comes down to one word - TRACTION.

Yes, you can get 200 hp out of the VW, but it's FWD w/o a LSD. More power just means you spin the inside tire more.

The OneWD aspect is what limits the BMW 3-series. It is faster straight line than just about any car in the class, but when you have to apply power in a turn, it's limited. That's one of the things that allows the Impreza to beat cars that are 1-2 sec faster 0-60 (I know it's not the only reason, so no flames). SCCAForums Image

------------------
    David Avard
    '90 Mazda Protege LX
    RallyGuy2k

--
    05 Jan 2001 08:31 AM
    "The beauty of all wheel drive..."

------------------
    Tre' Ridings
    SCCA Member
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS

[This message has been edited by RallyGuy2k (edited January 05, 2001).]
    Speed Racer

--
    05 Jan 2001 12:32 PM
    Could be a slim chance that the WRX will be in GS with 3100 lbs and 227 hp & 217 lb/ft. About like running a DSM car.
    gsrroger
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Jan 2001 01:30 PM
    I think the 225 HP Audi TT is in AS, so I'd have to beleive the WRX is headed for AS, too.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner