Rugged Radio 468
Hankook rs3 guys (big cars), whats your PSI?
Last Post 20 Feb 2012 06:31 PM by 85rx-7gsl-se. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages

--
28 Jan 2012 12:45 AM

Running AS in my 99 corvette just picked up a set of rs3 in 255-40-17 & 285-35-18. Been hearing mixed opinions on tire pressure for the bigger cars like a vette. I have an autox tomorrow and Sunday, and plan to start high and figure it out from there. right now set for 40f 38r. your thoughts?

--
    29 Jan 2012 03:23 PM
    I run them on my 04 z06. Found those too high. Went with 36f and 34r.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jan 2012 03:41 PM
    34/32 in my ~3650# GT-R when I run it in streetie trim.

I find that they go away when they get a bit too much heat in them. Guys w/ lighter cars say they don't have that issue though...

--
    29 Jan 2012 05:10 PM
    I ran 285/35/18 RS3's at 37f/33r on an '11 Mustang GT.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Feb 2012 04:01 PM
    huh, I'm running 265/18s on 18x9 wheels in a 3,100 lb car at 45/45. At lower pressures they were chewing up the outside edge of the tire, I actually had to flip a set! (also increased spring rates)

--
    07 Feb 2012 02:45 PM
    I found 42/36 was my sweet spot after about 16 runs. anything lower in the front, shoulders were gettin chewed. higher in the rear I lost too much longitudinal grip. I hate being so far apart in the pressure, but its worked best.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Feb 2012 10:44 PM
    Reading with interest. I'm in a 2000 hardtop in AS this year. 255/285 RS3. (wish the 275/18 was a available.) I've got 4 days of TNTs before Dixie tour to work out pressures.

ALLUDC: what kind of surface were you on?

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2012 07:56 AM
    On a 2750# car, I ran 34F/32R but have sufficient camber to avoid rollover.

--
    18 Feb 2012 09:36 PM
    so far on grooved/toothed (not sure if thats the right term) concrete I needed almost 44 to keep the front from rolling over. tons of grip out there. on our other asphalt lot I was happy at around 40f and still around 36r.

I am also only on a mild street alignment right now so not much camber (about to fix that). I weighed in at 3060 without me in it. weight distribution had about 830lbs on each front wheel and 700 on each rear.

if you are running an autox alignment, im sure you could lower the front from where I am. Go kick some RTR butt out there in Dixie!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Feb 2012 10:47 AM

Thanks for the info, alludc. Yesterday at our test n tune I ended up with 36/32 on a gravelly, low-grip, highly abrasive bumpy surface and had FTD most of the day in my first event in the 2000 FRC I recently purchased. (A Z06 finally nipped me at the end.) The tires took a lot of abuse from the surface. Very tight course (I set up) wasn't good for high power, so the Z06 couldn't really use his big 2nd gear accel advantage too much. I have 2.5 degrees of negative camber in the front, but the car is probably a little too low at the moment. Don't know my weight... probably a little heavier than you due to some options. Konis, magnesium wheels/Magnapack exhaust and a Z06 front bar (until the 32mm Hotchkiss gets here.) Hope to have ride height/alignment/corner weight all worked out by Dixie.

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Feb 2012 05:55 PM
    Anyone having them go away once they get hot? Maybe because my car is 3600+? lol

--
    19 Feb 2012 06:49 PM
    edfishjr wrote:

Thanks for the info, alludc. Yesterday at our test n tune I ended up with 36/32 on a gravelly, low-grip, highly abrasive bumpy surface and had FTD most of the day in my first event in the 2000 FRC I recently purchased. (A Z06 finally nipped me at the end.) The tires took a lot of abuse from the surface. Very tight course (I set up) wasn't good for high power, so the Z06 couldn't really use his big 2nd gear accel advantage too much. I have 2.5 degrees of negative camber in the front, but the car is probably a little too low at the moment. Don't know my weight... probably a little heavier than you due to some options. Konis, magnesium wheels/Magnapack exhaust and a Z06 front bar (until the 32mm Hotchkiss gets here.) Hope to have ride height/alignment/corner weight all worked out by Dixie.

Congrats on running good. with your camber, the lower psi makes sense to me. youll probably bump a bit on better surface. the mold on these tires takes a bit to wear off, but im sure that surface helped it along nicely. Youll probably see more improvement in the next couple events. If you are fully lowered on stock bolts, you may want to consider coming up a 1/4" for ideal performance. c5 z06 front bar or c6? if its c6 id switch to z51, but you have the hotchkiss comin so n/m

as far as the tires going away in the heat? I dont think so. the weight may have somethin to do with it tho. 2wks ago I was at a NCCC event with only 25 cars. we were running 5 runs per group, times 3. it was 82 degrees that day, on asphalt and even at the 5th run of each group I had no drop off in performance. I was FTD on all 3 courses that day against some really great drivers....on hoosiers. BTW...Nice GTR, fastest color.

--
    19 Feb 2012 10:13 PM
    GTB/ZR-1 wrote:
    Anyone having them go away once they get hot? Maybe because my car is 3600+? lol

Mine have never gone away due to heat. Only time they go away is when there are interruptions in an event (e.g., breakdown) and the tires cool. Then your 3rd run can feel like your first. :(

oh, and alludc...you are wrong...blue is the fastest color :D

--
    20 Feb 2012 09:17 AM
    haha.

as far as the heat goes....in the testing ive seen the rs3 is just about the best when it comes to handling it. Bettered (is that a word?) only by the Kumho XS by a small margin. granted, these tests have been on those silly lil lightweight cars.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Feb 2012 11:30 AM

Very odd... When the tires go away on me--they go away...

Maybe I need to experiment w/ higher pressures to see if it helps. I run the streeties @ local events, so I don't have to change tires/load on trailer etc. The R-S3s seem to be within ~2 secs of A6s on my car. I'm sure the times between the 2 tires would be closer on a lighter car, more like ~1 sec.

Maybe someone w/ a big Mustang that really gives it the whip, will chime in on their experiences.

--
    20 Feb 2012 01:47 PM
    do they feel greasy to you? explain more. how much do your times drop off when you feel them 'go away' ?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Feb 2012 02:02 PM

Yes, very greasy--to the point where the car will completely break traction. I've even aborted some fun runs when I've basically hot-lapped the car when the car gets completely crossed up (it happens instantly). That being said, I always drive @ the brink of traction anyways. lol

Times may drop off anywhere from 1/2 sec & up, when the condition isn't critical like above.

Here's kinda what it looks like @ the end of this run (although they weren't too bad the rest of this run):

**EDIT** try this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qgx...Xrp4vVlNC7

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Feb 2012 03:12 PM
    Link does not work.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Feb 2012 05:17 PM
    85rx-7gsl-se wrote:
    Link does not work.

Hopefully working now.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Feb 2012 06:11 PM
    Damn! That thing really accelerates!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Hyperfuels 88x31 Button Apex Detail Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button Rugged Radio 88
    saferacer
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    Race-Technology CarboTech 88x31 Button
    HoosierTire88x31 Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    UltraRev 88x31 Traqmate 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner